I Accomplished My Biggest Goal of 2015 Already

by Ginger on January 13, 2015

in Becoming Myself, The 9-5

I didn’t make any official resolutions for this year, nothing I put down on paper anyway. I wrote out some general intentions for the year, but I didn’t give voice to the things I decided to try and pursue this year. But that doesn’t mean that I didn’t…don’t…have some things percolating in my mind about changes, big and small, I want to make in my life in 2015.

In that list of things percolating, there’s been a big one, the one on which a lot of other things hinge: finding a new job. I’ve been in my current job for more than 7 years, and…it’s time. For a lot of reasons, including my overall stress level, career growth, lack of daily challenges beyond the “how do I accomplish all this with these limited resources?” ones, and a distinct feeling of being so, SO burnt out. I had decided at the end of 2014 that it was time for me to figure out my next steps and see if I could get myself excited about my career again and happier with my overall life.

Well, pardon my caps lock here but: GUESS WHO GOT A NEW JOB LESS THAN TWO WEEKS INTO THE NEW YEAR?

I…kinda don’t even know what happened, it all happened so fast–I did a little back and forth in late December, then last week I had three interviews and then a job offer by Friday evening–WHUT?

So, I officially have a new job–I’ve given my notice, told my staff, have a start date, and by the end of this month I will be off on a brand new career adventure. I’m excited, and nervous, and astounded, and a little tiny bit terrified, and oh, just so, so happy.

There’s a lot of really awesome stuff about this job. It’s for a social media software startup (say that 3 times fast), so it’s a completely different world than the one I’ve been working in, but I’m pretty excited to stretch into a new industry. The company is run by a woman I find pretty inspiring, and while it’s technically a start up, it doesn’t appear to have many of the “startup culture” negatives you hear about a lot. It’s a fairly lateral move for me, but it appears that it will mostly be all the stuff I love about marketing: strategy, planning, project management, brainstorming, working with a smart and capable team, analyzing data to make decisions, and all for a company that has marketing in its DNA. The money is good, the benefits are pretty amazing, and, oh yeah, there’s a whole work life balance thing I gotta tell you about.

The biggest, most lifestyle changing part: it’s a work from home job. The entire company is remote, and I’ll be honest, the idea of no more commute is enough to have me skipping around my house, doing cartwheels and flipping off the freeway. This was one of my big stress level things with my current job–the commute, plus the one car family, plus the scheduling and logistics of having to get everyone where they needed to be and I have basically been a stress case for the last 5 years. Every dr’s appointment, every teacher conference, every trip N.C. had to take up to LA, every thing. Every. Thing. I had to juggle and maneuver and man it has just worn on me in ways that I can’t even really explain. When I started thinking about a new job, my one major requirement is that it had to be less than 10 miles away. So, you know, my dining room is gonna be a WAY better commute.

(It’s going to be an interesting transition to working at home, with my husband downstairs. More on that another day).

I think know the job is going to be a challenge–I’m going to have to hit the ground running in a major way, and it’s going to be a different environment in soooo many ways that I’m going to have to really work to keep my feet under me at first. I have a lot to accomplish, and feel like I need to prove to myself  that I can kill it at this job after so many years in one industry and one company and one role.

But I’m so excited, both for the change, and to see what I can do. I’m fairly itching to get going, even if I’m a smidge nervous too (cmon, it’s a new job, doesn’t everyone get nervous?). But mostly, I’m ready. I’m ready for the challenge, for the new, for the change, for the opportunity to stretch.

2015? So far, it’s off to a pretty good start.

april January 14, 2015 at 4:35 am

I am so so excited for you. 2015! yay!

Emily January 14, 2015 at 5:06 am

Congratulations! Best of luck with the new job!

Cherie January 14, 2015 at 6:46 am

So when I saw this earlier, my first thought was: “Awesome! Work from home! Wait…doesn’t her husband work from home?” Heh. Big transition there, though since he has his own space it may work fine. As someone who worked from home for a while, may I make a suggestion? Carve out a workspace JUST for work and that you can walk away from. It is really so key to saving your sanity! (I was lucky enough to have a separate room with a door I could close, but I know that may not be possible.)

Ginger January 16, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Heh, yeah, the two of us working from home together will be…a transition. But we are going to carve out a space for me (sadly, it will not have a door, but I’d much rather my husband be able to close the door on his mess than on mine ;-P), but…yeah. It’s going to be interesting!

L. January 14, 2015 at 6:54 am

Ahhhh!!!! G!!! I’m so happy for you! I’m off the twitterz so I missed all the goings on, but this is big! huge! exciting! wonderful! Congratulations, lady!

Ginger January 16, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Thank you! I’m super excited (obviously!)

Marlena January 14, 2015 at 7:45 am

Congratulations! That’s awesome! Happy 2015! I’d love to hear updates on working from home – what it’s like, the balance, etc.

Ginger January 16, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Oh, don’t you fret. I’m sure the transition will give me plenty to talk about 🙂

Sarah B. January 14, 2015 at 9:43 am

Hi Ginger! I’m Sarah, a TeamEdgar member, too! Just wanted to say congrats and that we are all looking forward to you joining the team. 🙂 See you in a few weeks!

Ginger January 16, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Hi Sarah! I can’t wait to join everyone!

nonsequiturchica January 14, 2015 at 10:23 am

Wow! Congrats! What a way to start off 2015!

My husband and I both worked from home and overlapped two days of the week. We both worked in the same room and basically didn’t talk to each other the entire day. Weird but it worked. It was nice to have lunch together though! Luckily we didn’t often have conference calls at the same time- if we do one of us would step out with our laptop and head downstairs. It can work!

mona January 14, 2015 at 10:50 am

congratulations!

Trish January 14, 2015 at 11:32 am

So awesome! Good for you, Lady!! Knock ’em dead.

Ann Wyse January 14, 2015 at 11:39 am

Congratulations! I’m doing cartwheels with you!

Trina January 14, 2015 at 12:39 pm

That’s so exciting congrats!! Happy to hear of one startup that seems to respect it’s workers!! You’ll do great!

Cloud January 14, 2015 at 12:57 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!! When am I buying you lunch to celebrate? (Seriously! We have to do one more lunch before you’re never down my way….)

Jenjen January 14, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Congratulations, way to start the year!! It truly is a blessing to be working from home.

clara January 14, 2015 at 1:27 pm

GINGER! That’s awesome. I’m thrilled for you. I can feel the stress just melting away…

Sarah Anne January 14, 2015 at 4:40 pm

GINGER! Congratulations! What an awesome way to start the year, I am just so excited for you, for so many reasons! Yaaay!!

Mary Lou January 14, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Ginger, what wonderful news! Just the fact that you can now lessen the stress is great. I know you must be ecstatic.

Deborah January 14, 2015 at 6:47 pm

So excited for you. What a great way to start the new year! I worked from home for over 20 years, back when nobody did it. Find a space for your office, if you can. As someone else says, there are days when you really need a door to shut others or yourself out.

I am also starting a new job, this one in another state and with a different commute. I shall be watching your progress and your reactions to change as I gauge my own.

Older mom January 14, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Congratulations!! If anyone can handle the work from home thing, you can. Takes discipline, but I have faith in you. The benefits are great.

Changed jobs this year and moved to travel and home office. Some days it works well, other days (mostly slow days) it can be challenging. The flexibility is great.

Best wishes for a great 2015.

Joanne January 17, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Ginger, I’m so happy for you! What an excellent way to start the year!

Jesabes January 18, 2015 at 7:13 pm