Ask the Internet

by Ginger on November 10, 2014

in Random

Remember when I used to do this occasionally? Well, let’s do it again! I’ll ask you some questions (probably with more detail than what I have room for on Twitter) and you tell me what to do, which I frankly think is a win/win situation for everyone.

1. I am bored with our meal options. I am also (in an oh so seasonal way! /sarcasm) craving things that are light and still filling–as much as I love roasted brussels sprouts and chili and stew and the like, I’m much more into things like salad! and coleslaw! and grilled chicken! (don’t hate me because I live in San Diego and can grill almost year round.) SO! Help me find some new recipes to try.

Here are the ground rules though: it can’t require a ton of either prep or cook time (the ideal is for the total for both to take under an hour, but if some of the cooking is of the crockpot and/or oven and then walk away variety, that’s doable too), it can’t require more than 3 pots/pans/dishes, and it can’t require a zillion ingredients.

ALSO, it can be vegetarian, but I can’t get my husband to eat tofu or tempeh, for what that matters. So, whatcha got for me?

2. I have a couple of ridiculously practical things on my Christmas list (I can’t believe this, but I’m asking for a dustbuster. But seriously, if you SAW the dog hair in this place..), and I have some makeup stuff (of course), but I’m stumped for other ideas for what to put on MY wish list. I’ve seen Caitlin’s awesome gift guide (which, if you haven’t you MUST check it out, it’s fabulous) (and I mean, comeon, is #8 the most awesome thing ever or what?), but I’m open to more ideas. So…what’s on YOUR wishlist? I need inspiration for mine.

3. Speaking of the dog. Because of her allergies, she licks her feet ALL THE DAMN TIME. And besides being one of the most annoying sounds on the planet, it’s also making gross wet dog smell take over my house. Does anyone have suggestions for getting rid of/obscuring the smell, besides washing everything daily (and let’s be realistic, that’s not going to happen)? I can’t do super heavily scented stuff (ah the lingering joys of what pregnancy and childbirth did to me), as it gives me a wicked headache, but I can do naturally scented stuff. But seriously, I’m getting desperate. Poor dog is miserable, and I feel for her, but it smells SO GROSS when she licks and licks and licks. I don’t want to be “that stinky house,” you know?

4. Last one: Do you have a Netflix or Amazon Prime available tv show you have enjoyed that is not focused around murder, crime, or graphic imagery? I kinda need a palate cleanser.

april November 11, 2014 at 5:22 am

this is my favorite new thing I’ve made lately. I halved the recipe and didn’t use quite so much cream in the grits. I used one pan for all the shrimp stuff (browned the sausage and then moved it out of the pan and used the same pan for the rest) and it took about 45 minutes total. Plus, it made me think of you and the other girls from Charleston.

I’m making this tonight on recommendation from Kate W, and this one-pot lo mein was very yummy (I used spaghetti noodles because it was what I had)

I watch very little tv so I have nothing there, and I need a new clarisonic so that’s the only thing on my list so far.

Tamara November 11, 2014 at 10:32 am

1. I am zero help with recipes as my nightly solution is to order takeout at the last minute.
2. I really want a pair of black motorcycle type boots, I sold my Frye Veronicas because they hurt my feet and two years ago I saw the perfect ones at Roots but now they are discontinued so I’m screwed yet again.
3.Dog allergies-I have the smelliest dog ever, was it you who was looking for a dog food without peas? For the allergy thing? Have you talked to your vet about Benadryl? I don’t do scents in the house because my husband is allergic to everything. So, again I’m no help.
4. Call the Midwife is fantastic if you haven’t seen it. Also New Girl and Parenthood if you don’t watch those and Broad City and Drunk History.

Tragic Sandwich November 11, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I had a series of “Mom-Friendly Meals” posts a year or so ago (longer? I have no sense of the passage of time)–you can search for that phrase and pull up both the original post, which explains the so-called philosophy behind the series, as well as posts about individual meals.

While I haven’t done those posts in however long it’s actually been, I have lately been using Instagram for this–you can check the tag #MomFriendlyMeals for photos and not-quite-recipes.

SoGalinSoCal November 12, 2014 at 12:46 pm

1. This great looking list of One-Pot Pasta recipes popped up on my FB feed yesterday and I’m excited to try them!
2. Now Caitlin’s awesome gift guide is pretty much what I’m going to ask for this holiday season. So thanks for that! 😀 Although I just bought this great (and practical) Cuisinart 5-in-1 Griddler that has removable plates that I absolutely love.
3. No help. My dog does this exact same thing with her feet/toes/genitals and it’s the grossest thing ever. 😛
4. a) Some Netflixable Show Recommendations (Don’t Judge): How I Met Your Mother, Gilmore Girls, House, Coupling, Lie to Me, Gossip Girl, Scrubs, Freaks & Geeks, Dollhouse, Chuck, Sherlock, Undeclared
b) Shows I’ve Never Watched But Always Wanted to That Are on Netflix: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Twin Peaks, Sons of Anarchy, Orange is the New Black

Katherine November 13, 2014 at 10:47 am

Download the Epicurean app. It lets you pick meal type, main ingredient, weeknight options, etc. My lazy chicken tacos are boneless, skinless chicken thighs with a jar of decent salsa in the slow cooker for a few hours. I obviously do tacos or put it over rice with cilantro and avocado.

Caitlin November 18, 2014 at 10:36 am

Aw, so glad you enjoyed the Gift Guide! Thank you for mentioning it!

I have been watching Parks & Rec from the beginning on Netflix, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I know it’s a ways off, but Friends is supposed to come at the beginning of 2015, and that would be perfect, too.

Some of our go-to meals are: Greek salad (romaine, feta, olives, pepperoncini, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, whatever vinaigrette we can whip up and toss some oregano in. Chicken, shrimp, whatever you want for protein. Even garbanzo beans.) Ceasar salad with whatever you want for protein, with a ceasar vinaigrette so it’s actually not terrible for you. I also like to make a big pot of pasta sauce (ground beef and/or pork, celery, carrot, onion, pepper, mushroom, zucchini, whatever is in the fridge that needs to be used up) on weekends, eat a couple times, freeze the rest for easy meals down the road. Same with lentil and sausage soup.
Something we haven’t had in a while but which is good: Grilled asparagus and grilled salmon with coconut rice (half water half coconut milk for the liquid). Optional: a tropical fruit salsa of some sort. Or grilled salmon or chicken or steak with baked sweet potato (set it and forget it!), and a grilled veg.
We also eat a lot eggs and egg sandwiches.