Snippets and things

by Ginger on March 31, 2014

in Random

I apparently can’t use my brain enough to do any real writing lately. So! Snippets it is!

*Last week I was having a lot of head, face & jaw pain which the dr thinks is being caused by some kind of TMJ sort of thing, which is likely caused from…stress. Yippee. Anyway, the dr gave me muscle relaxers to help me get some sleep and guess what? If you go to bed around 10:00 every night for a week, your body kind of gets used to that. Huh. Who knew? Also, you know what else? Muscle relaxers feel GREAT.

*I’ve gone about a week & a half without the stupid boot! I’m still wrapping my ankle, don’t get me wrong, but I’m cautiously optimistic that I might be able to bid farewell to the boot. Now, however, I need to find some supportive flats–the $10 jobbies from Target aren’t going to cut it for a while. Unfortunately, there’s a really fine line between supportive & comfortable (yet cute) and…orthopedic chic.

*It hits me at the oddest times, but Jackson is really and truly not a baby anymore. He’s a kid. He’s starting to read words, and starting to do math. He rides a bike. He can go on any ride at Legoland that doesn’t have an age restriction. He can write things like this:

(which may be one of my favorite things in the history of ever). He’s still a *little* kid, there’s no doubt, but he is really, truly, totally a kid. Time, man. It’s weird.

*I’m kind of getting the itch to completely redo this site. Who knows why, since I don’t really give it any kind of dedicated time the way I used to, but the itch is there anyway. I can’t really justify spending too much (any?) money on it, especially when I know I technically *could* do some/most of it myself. But…I dunno, we’ll see.

*I read the Veronica Mars book. If you like Veronica Mars, you should too. It was really fun, and felt very comfortably like the show (but is a totally new story, a few months after the events of the movie). I can’t wait until the next one comes out.

*I took a break from writing this to watch the series finale of How I Met Your Mother (fwiw, I liked this whole season a lot more than most people, and I actually enjoyed the finale. I won’t spoil anything, but it felt…appropriate.), and apparently I needed a good cry, because I’ve been crying for the last 20 minutes now. Maybe that has something to do with that stress thing? May possibly be time to bust out my guaranteed cry-fest movies (Stepmom, the graveyard scene in Steel Magnolias, the scene in the forest of Harry Potter 7.2 to name a few) and see what other tension I can let go of.

Jesabes April 1, 2014 at 5:56 am

Ugh, my mom got TMJ from stress when us kids were little, too. I grind my teeth and end up cracking them. Three crowns in and the dentist says I need another this year…

Erica April 1, 2014 at 7:12 am

I am so all about supportive flats. The best best are dansko clogs which aren’t exactly flat but there is a reason nurses and cooks wear them. Clarks has lots of cute comfy stuff too and you can find new ones on the cheap on eBay. Be careful, comfy shoes are addicting. I can’t wear heels anymore.

april April 1, 2014 at 7:49 am

I liked this season of HIMYM too, and I *liked* the finale but I felt like there was too much crammed in, like they had to play out every single storyline and I didn’t like that too much. I have one other specific thought which was confirmed by a review I read, but I can’t be any more clear on that without spoilers.

Clarks are pretty awesome – Hillary sold me on them, and they are my “Disney shoes”, which I can wear for 12-16 hours without too much trouble. Walking shoes – who knew?

Ruth April 1, 2014 at 8:01 am

Has your dentist recommended getting a mouth guard? Not one from the store, but one that is made for you. It will help save your teeth when you are grinding at night and proivide some relief to your jaw.

I second the recommendation of Clarks. They are cute and unbelievably comfortable. They can be a bit pricey, but are a worthy investment.

Ginger April 2, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Oh, I’ve had a custom nightguard for years–I grind like CRAZY, so I basically have to have it (especially since I paid a ton of money to get pretty new crowns on my 6 front teeth. Gotta protect those babies). I’m wondering if I need to be refitted though, this current one is maybe a year and half old…maybe I’ve worn it down too much?

Ruth April 3, 2014 at 5:22 am

It’s entirely possible that it needs to be refitted. I am also a constant grinder and have, at times, changed the fit of my nightguard by grinding too much. I have my dentist check the fit when I go for a check up.

Good luck! I hope your discomfort abates quickly.

Christa April 1, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I had that same no longer a baby feeling today going through old books and things. I found a lift the flap book and wondered if P. might like to read it before realizing she was probably just too big and that made me kind of sad. Which is funny, because it was a book I really didn’t care for. Might bust it out anyway for nostalgia’s sake but still.

Emily April 2, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I’ve gone through both the post-boot supportive shoe crisis and TMJ pain. For the shoes, I got custom orthotics made (insurance paid for them). As long as I use them, I can buy cute, cheap shoes and get away with it. For the TMJ, I got a night guard from my dentist. It’s a harder plastic than the ones you can buy at the store, and it works much better.

Ginger April 2, 2014 at 9:31 pm

The crazy thing is I have one of those night guards from my dentist, that’s like an inch thick (ok, maybe not really, but it feels like it sometimes). I got it about a year and a half ago? Maybe? After I got my new pretty crowns on my front teeth, and didn’t want to waste the money by having them crack because I grind like crazy. Maybe I just need to be refitted?