It’s Magical In Here

by Ginger on February 12, 2014

in Home is Where the Heart Is

On Monday, I got my last Christmas present, the thing I wanted most of all–someone to clean my house. I’m not a great housekeeper in general–we don’t live in filth, but I’d rather spend my time doing other things than cleaning–but after the November & December of sickness and injury, I really wanted someone to come in and clean the parts of the house I’m NEVER going clean, down to the baseboards and door jams.

So Monday is when the scheduling finally worked out, and you guys, all day at work it was like Christmas Eve. I knew the cleaners were at the house, I knew I was going to come home to a clean house, and I was SO. EXCITED. ALL. DAY. to see what it would look like.

And let me tell you, it was/is as glorious as I had hoped. I walked in and it was so…so…magical. They cleaned things I’ve never cleaned in the almost 5 years I’ve lived here (see above, re: baseboards). They wiped grimy fingerprints off of every cabinet not just in the kitchen, but in the bathrooms. They vacuumed IN the couch (we do that…when we have company coming who has to sleep on said couch). It’s just so SPARKLY in here now.

I’m enjoying it so much, we think we’re going to move some things around in the budget to have them come back once a month, something we know we’re lucky to be able to do. It’s nice to be at a place in life where we can make decisions about time vs. money, and sometimes come to the conclusion that paying for something is better than spending the time on it ourselves. There are neverending need to/should to/have to do lists, and sometimes…man sometimes it’s just nice to be able to outsource something on those lists.

april February 12, 2014 at 7:24 am

Oh, I’m so jealous. I ask for that for every holiday but I never get it. Maybe someday. So glad you got a clean house – it really does improve a mood!

Erica February 12, 2014 at 8:40 am

Housekeepers are the BEST

Hillary February 12, 2014 at 8:59 am

Best money I spend every month. BEST.

Tragic Sandwich February 12, 2014 at 9:29 am

My birthday falls a couple of months before Baguette’s. The year she was born, my dad asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I said, “Green house cleaners, before and after the baby comes.” I found someone (surprisingly difficult in my part of town), and they were FANTASTIC. They did a deep clean about a week before Baguette was born and then came a week after she was born and again two weeks after that. The house was so, so clean, and it didn’t smell like chemicals (if anything, it smelled like cucumbers).

The only downside was that because they only used organic products, they were pretty expensive. But totally worth it. Some day I hope to have the money to have them come back–regularly.

Jesabes February 12, 2014 at 10:35 am

I’m so glad they cleaned it the way you wanted! I seem to have the worst luck with housecleaners. I’ve only tried two places (once each) but they stuck to the barest basics and take forevvvvver to do so (charging by the hour, of course). So I get clean floors, countertops, shower, etc, which is LOVELY, but they don’t wipe the cabinets or baseboards or even my flour/sugar canisters. I thought they’d at least clean the inside of the microwave or something, but nope.

melanie jean juneau February 12, 2014 at 3:42 pm

the BEST present ever

Sonya February 13, 2014 at 7:46 am

We got a maid service about seven years ago and to this day I have never regretted it! Makes such a difference in freeing up time and I’m so happy I haven’t had to mop or scrub a toilet in years. 🙂

Kim February 15, 2014 at 4:48 am

We started using a housekeeper last year when family showed up for Christmas unannounced & we’ve been using one ever since. She only comes once a month (we don’t have kids) but it’s so, so nice.