Digg Reader is My Google Reader Replacement of Choice

by Ginger on January 13, 2014

in Blogging & Social Media

This is only going to be a post for the avid blog readers in the crowd. If you’re into RSS feeds, this post is for you. Everyone else, come on back in a couple of days, when I’m planning a post on TV.

Now, for the handful of you left…

I’ve come across or have been part of probably 5 different conversations with very different groups of people lately that have lamented the loss of Google Reader, and how it has changed their blog reading habits. A couple of the conversations were with people who had another RSS reader/service that they were using and didn’t like for some reason, and a couple were from people who just never found another suitable replacement. As much as Twitter & Facebook are good for gathering links, for those of us who still want to make sure we never miss a blog post from our favorite writers, a good RSS reader beats them both into oblivion.

May I offer a suggestion then?

If all you want is a nice, clean, easy to use reader, I highly recommend Digg Reader.

Digg Reader

This is what mine looks like right now, or at lest the first few posts–in this case, ALL. You can see that it’s pretty stripped down, which is just how I like it, with no fancy nonsense.  I like mine in list format like this, but there’s also an expanded version that basically shows you every post in a row. You can show all posts, or just unread (I only ever show unread, unless I’m searching for something). You can, obviously, have folders (I have a zillion, that seriously need some editing) for easier perusing/categorizing–if I’m in a hurry, for example, I’ll hit up Favorites only, and basically always leave entertainment for when I’ve got nothing else going on (I’m talking to you AV Club, with your gazillion posts a day).

While there is no sharing function quite like Google Reader USED to have, or like Old Reader has, there are a few options for sharing:

Digg Share buttons

The thumbs up will let you “Digg” something, which then goes into the Digg folder. Also (per Digg):

We also count and display the total number of diggs for a given story, as a way of indicating its interestingness to the world of Digg users. If you are signed in with your Facebook account, the story will also be automatically posted to your Wall.

(I pretty much never want to share things to Facebook, so I have that feature turned off. But that’s just me).

If you want, the stuff you digg can actually be accessed as an RSS feed for other people, although you have to find a way to share that link with people. For example, here’s mine: http://digg.com/user/927595c6dd8e49338030ad5d45938735/diggs.rss , although there’s not a ton there because I tend to use the “Save” button more–the little bookmark looking symbol saves a post to the “saved” folder. (I don’t know why I use save more than digg. I just do).

And then, the little arrow will let you share to Twitter or Facebook.

It’s also super easy to add a new feed–you can either copy and paste the URL, or you can actually do a search, and they almost always find exactly what I’m looking for. (examples of successful searches I’ve used: salon, makeup {I found a LOT of new blogs that way!}, librarian, and television).

Digg Add

On top of that stuff, there’s an app for iphone/ipad & android that actually syncs to the web version, and it works with Instapaper, Pocket & Readability, if you’re into that kind of thing.

There are a few things I find somewhat annoying about it, which mostly come down to I want to be EVEN LAZIER than I already am, but honestly, this covers about 98% of what I missed about Google Reader. If you’re still on the hunt for a replacement, you might want to give this one a shot.

Tragic Sandwich January 13, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I tried Flipboard for a while, and it was a fun way to find new content, but didn’t mark things as read in a way that worked for me. I’ve been using Feedly on my desktop and in app version, and have been happy with it so far.

Jesabes January 13, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I went to Feedly and have no complaints. Honestly, with the way I set it up (list view, etc) it looks identical to everything you’re saying about Digg.

There were little differences between Google Reader and Feedly that bothered me some at first, or that I had to figure out how to configure the way I like them, but at this point I can say the loss of Google Reader doesn’t really affect me anymore. Things are back to normal.

My mobile version is actually unchanged from Google Reader, because I’ve always used gReader, which is a third-party app that wasn’t officially affiliated with google. When Google Reader died, it started pulling from Feedly, The Old Reader, and I can’t remember what else.

Ruth January 14, 2014 at 5:23 am

Thank you for the recommendation!

april January 14, 2014 at 5:55 am

I switched to Feedly as well with no complaints except it’s sometimes buggy on my work computer. I think that’s the computer’s fault.

Charleen January 14, 2014 at 7:16 am

Another Feedly user here. I’ve got it set up to look just like this (as opposed to magazine- or card-style… I’m sure the more “visually appealing” options work for some people, but I like simple). Folders, sharing, saving, tagging… pretty much the only thing it doesn’t have is an equivalent to that “digg” option.

“As much as Twitter & Facebook are good for gathering links, for those of us who still want to make sure we never miss a blog post from our favorite writers, a good RSS reader beats them both into oblivion.”

This is what I just couldn’t get about some of the feedback when Google Reader went away. RSS is dead? Just because of social media? They don’t serve even remotely the same function!

Michael Young January 14, 2014 at 7:17 am

Hi Ginger,

It’s Mike from Digg here…just wanted to you thank you for your nice post. Very glad to hear you are liking it! If you ever have more feedback (good and bad), please do send it our way. @myoung or @DiggSupport on twitter.

thanks!
-Mike.

Fer Castellanos January 24, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Mike I don´t have Twitter nor I will have it. I think email integration with Gmail (like Feedly) is crucial because Google Reader users don´t have Facebook or Twitter. At least some kind of webmailing posts like Inoreader. Thank you! F. C.

melanie jean juneau January 14, 2014 at 6:12 pm

looks easy enough for a techno dummy- thanks

Audrey January 15, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I’ve been using Digg Reader since you recommended it last year, and I love it so much. For the way I use a blog reader, I’ve come to like it even better than Google Reader — at least what Google Reader had become at the end there.

Fer Castellanos January 24, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I really like Digg Reader and what I do like most is that is very different of Google Reader. It is very quick and visuals are more attractive than Feedly. But it lacks the email integration with Gmail that Feedly has and for a usual Google Reader user like me who does not use Twitter or Facebook is crucial. Anyway I think the more complete is Inoreader and visually is the best. Compare for instance August.com in the three reader and you will see. Has many many functionalities and the developers inform about any change. The problem is that crashes permanently the browser I insist permanently. It is exhausting. I hope Digg Reader will allow to email posts. That day will be unbeatable. Thank you!

roderick December 17, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I personally like these two