Ask The Internet: Help, My Nails are Crappy!

by Ginger on November 6, 2013

in Makeup and Beauty

Ok, so I’ve gotten super into nail polish (I blame Laura), have a subscription to Julep (a monthly nail polish subscription box–that is a referral link fyi), and now paint my nails sometimes as many as 3 times a week, though usually it’s more like 1-2. And I love wearing nail polish! It’s fun! And sparkly!

However, it does a JOB on my nails. I have kind of crappy nails to begin with, but painting them makes them even worse, and they peel like CRAZY. Not the polish (though that does too), but the actual nail. They don’t break as much as just peel off in sheets. It’s terrible. But, I’m not going to stop painting my nails (like I said, fun! sparkly!), so I’m trying to figure out ways to combat it as much as possible.

This is where YOU come in! What are your favorite/best/most trusted ways of taking care of your nails? Do you have favorite products you use? Help me keep my polish obsession going without TOTALLY ruining my nails!

Lara November 6, 2013 at 10:14 pm

OK, I already mentioned this to you, but Solar Oil. I’ve been using it for 10+ years – the woman who used to do my gel nails (when I had them) recommended it. She said (and this might be complete BS) that it could penetrate the gel and would keep my nails healthy underneath the gel.

So I use it all over my nails – gob it on my cuticles, “paint” it over my nail polish, under my fingernails, etc., then rub it in. When it’s all absorbed, I do it again (I keep in on the coffee table and put it on while I’m watching tv).

Another thing she told me: don’t pick at your cuticles. Use the oil to keep them soft. If you watch, you’ll notice a tear in your cuticle will eventually directly lead to a line or ridge in your nail – I didn’t buy this but it seems to be true. If I have a ratty cuticle, within the next few weeks, I’ll notice a ridge in my nail in the same spot. And those darn ridges will cause splits and peels when it reaches the top of your nail and you file it.

Also – those glass nail files are magic, if you don’t already have one. You can “saw” with them and not damage your nails.

I seem to know a lot about nails. What can I say? My gel appointments were long and I had to talk about SOMETHING with the manicurist 🙂

Good luck!

april November 7, 2013 at 5:44 am

My nails never used to be crappy, but lately they are terrible. TURRIBLE.

Jesabes November 7, 2013 at 5:58 am

The secret to my strong nails is prenatal vitamins:) I take them even when not pregnant.

Trudy November 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I had terrible nails…peeling, ridges and weak. I started taking collagen for hair and nails from Costco. After a few months I noticed they weren’t peeling and the ridges were getting smaller. Best thing ever. Also, started wearing latex gloves whenever my hands were in water.

Michelle November 7, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I second solar oil, and I also use Burt’s Bee’s lemon cuticle stuff, too. It has made a very big difference in my nails. I also have to let my nails have breaks without polish if I’ve had them painted for any amount of time. And I cannot cut them with clippers or they will split. I have to file them.

Alexis November 7, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I like the Sally Hansen “Hard as Wraps” for a base coat or just plain for a few weeks to get my nails growing. It really works, or at least keeps my nails in one piece so the polish stays a bit better.

The best nails I ever had were when I did a keratin hair treatment for my sister without gloves. No joke, they grew strong and smooth for almost three months. I am considering buying a jar of the hair treatment and rubbing it in my nails. Have no idea if it actually will work, or if there is already a nail product that does this, but figure it is worth a try.

If you find something, let us know. Pretty please.

jess November 10, 2013 at 5:22 am

Biotin. It’s a vitamin you can buy that strengthens nails and hair. Works miracles. Also make sure you’re using a good quality base coat. Keeps the polish from being directly on your nails and protects them a little.