Ranty McRanterson

by Ginger on November 5, 2013

in I'm a Disaster

I have been in a MOOD all day long, so this seems like the perfect time to do the rant prompt from this week! In fact, I have so many, I’m gonna do them bullet style. WARNING: I am very whiny, and this list reflects that.

• I got a flu shot yesterday, and I am super grouchy because yes, my arm hurts like a mofo (and my kid keeps running into it making me want to cry), and yes, I feel crummy in the aches and pains and low grade fever side effect way. BLAH. And I just can’t help but feel incredibly irritated that doing something to try and keep me healthy makes me feel so crummy (please, I am not interested in debates about the flu shot. GROUCHY remember). Science, why haven’t we fixed this yet?
  • I have had it up to HERE with people who dismiss me at work. I have 10 years of experience, and I know marketing because it’s my job. You having read an article on Facebook marketing or seeing our competitor send out an email blast doesn’t mean you know what the hell you’re talking about. If I tell you why something does or doesn’t work, or why we need to do something a certain way, or why the thing you’re asking me to do won’t fit in our budget, I’m not just pulling answers out of a magic hat. No, I’m answering based on my expertise. I don’t think this is because I’m a woman, but I could be wrong, but whatever it is I’m seriously OVER it. I know marketing is something that ANYONE can do, I mean, why even PAY for it, right? But come the hell on.
  • I’m also over people who judge a parent based on a 2 minute snippet of their life in the grocery store or Target. I promise that unless you see someone viciously beating their child, those 2 minutes that you see them dealing with a tantrum is likely not the be-all end-all of their parenting skills.
  • OMG if this cat doesn’t stop butting my hands with his head while I type I’m going to…well I’ll probably throw him off my lap, but he’ll come back in 2 minutes, and we’ll start the cycle over again.
  • Related: WHY IS SOMEONE OR SOMETHING ALWAYS TOUCHING ME????
  • This whole time change thing? Yeah, this is some bullshit. I’m driving home from work in the dark, which just, no, this isn’t a good idea. I really miss Arizona at times like this.
  • Facebook is terrible, for anyone who wasn’t aware.

I have more, but I seriously have totally run out of steam from a day of being in this MOOD. So I’ll throw it to you–what rants do you have?

***

Prompt from Bring Back the Words, Week 21

Robbie November 5, 2013 at 10:09 pm

It’s my own damn fault but I am tired. Exhausted. Completely spent. At 6 I said I was going to bed by 9:30 and yet it is after 11. I will be cranky again tomorrow too.

Cloud November 5, 2013 at 10:18 pm

The good news about your flu shot side effects is that they prove the shot is working. The bad news is that science probably can’t fix this, because it is your body’s immune system recognizing the antigen in the shot and prepping itself to fight that antigen off the next time it sees it (probably as part of a nasty virus that would make you sick). You could get the FluMist and at least not get the sore arm. Good luck finding someone who has that, though. (I get the sore arm, too, but not the systemic side effects, and as an asthmatic the flu could literally kill me, so… yeah, I take the sore arm).

On the work thing: email me and lets set up lunch. You can vent, and then tell me how I should be marketing my side project (my Tungsten Hippo site about short ebooks) and I will at least buy you lunch and tell you that you are brilliant and know waaaay more than me about this stuff, because it will be 110% obvious to me that this is true. And then your ideas will result in my having more than 6 likes on Facebook (I also think it is evil so DO NOT GET IT), and I will email you and provide quantitative evidence of your brilliance.

Or you could just vent. Whatever works best for you. I’d still buy you lunch!

april November 6, 2013 at 5:23 am

I’m sick of wearing sunglasses on my drive to work, and not getting to see the sunrise.

And I’d like to say that when I see a tantrumming child in a store or a mother that has given in to the yelling because she’s at the end of her rope … I wish she wasn’t a stranger because I just want to give her a hug and help out with the kid a bit (I feel this way on planes too, I’ve been known to hand my ipad off to a random three-year-old)

Laura Diniwilk November 6, 2013 at 8:19 am

I have two awful coworkers now of the “total bitch to hide my insecurity” variety. It is tiring. I wish I could unleash the following rant at either one of them: “You are a grown ass woman, you do not need to act like that. Also, you should be HAPPY to work with someone who is smart and awesome at their job, I am a great resource and make your job easier. Stop feeling so damn threatened. Also also? People who say they hate drama and then say super bitchy things about their so-called friends actually LOVE drama.”

Erica November 6, 2013 at 8:22 am

Damn it daylight savings time is a bitch. I had that marketing problem at work too.

KeraLinnea November 6, 2013 at 8:32 am

There is nothing on this list that is not worth ranting about.

I will admit, I have been in Target or the grocery store while in a bad mood, and have had uncharitable thoughts toward the parent whose kid is screaming, but most of the time, I feel nothing but pity. I mentioned on Twitter the other day that I could hear a kid screaming outside, so I looked out the window and there was a young mother out there trying to corral her kids into the car. The oldest looked to be 3 or 4 and the younger, tantrumy one looked about 2. Tantrum kid had adopted the “Stiff as a Board” battle tactic, and Mom was trying to fold him in half and stuff him in the carseat. I admit I chuckled, because there’s something funny about a toddler that’s reached that level of fury, but my overwhelming feeling was one of regret: I was sorry that I am WAY too shy to go out there and give her a hand and an encouraging word. We have ALL been there.

oilandgarlic November 6, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I’m taking your bulletpoint #2 and modifying it slightly to send to annoying co-workers who make “helpful” suggestions about how to do my job just because they saw a webinar or read one magazine article related to my profession. Yeah, I can totally see how everyone thinks they’re a social media/marketing expert.

Alexis November 6, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Yes. Flu shots can blow me, even the mist makes me feel like crap for 48 hours, still get one, but you know. Also yes to everything else. No more touching (dear goddess the touching!), FB makes my ears bleed and frankly this time change can die in a fire.

Wooohoooooo, I sure feel better now. This was a great cathartic prompt. Thanks!

Older mom November 6, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Flu shot – necessary evil.
Time change – why do I need more daylight in the morning to get me, kids, etc ready for work or school? I want daylight after work so I don’t feel like a danged vampire only coming out at night.

My own rant – penalties in football for celebrating a TD! It’s a sport — with an entertainment tax, it’s suppose to be fun and TDs are desirable. C’mon, you mean to tell me that those highly paid men can’t tell the difference between a celebration and excessive celebration or taunting??? And if that’s not bad enough, there is no penalty (that I’ve seen) for excessive celebration when sacking the QB – and that us definitely taunting and unsportsmanlike!!!!

Whew, felt good to get that out there.

Audrey November 8, 2013 at 10:49 am

I got the flu shot for the first time this year and somehow had never heard about the sore arm side effect so for 3 days was all “Ouch! Ouch! Why is this happening? Is this normal? Help me, Google!”

The only good thing about the time change, in my ridiculous opinion, is that it signals an end to the wonky days in which I have to wear a coat to work in the morning, but then carry it home at night because it’s too warm. Not that I’m complaining about the warm afternoons; I liked those. But I really hate carrying my coat. It’s a weird thing to hate, I know.