So, I sorta threw it in at the end of my last post, but I can’t stop thinking about it, so I’m going to talk through what my ideas for the writing prompt link up thing would be.
First, I want to say that I *KNOW* this is not a new idea. As I said before, I know of at least 6 or 7 different communities that do some variation of the writing prompt/linkup thing. I’m not claiming this is a new idea, by any stretch. But for some reason, I’ve never been able to make those communities MY community. I don’t know why, but there you go.
Some of my thinking on this is a result of my month long blogging challenge. I asked for some prompts from you guys, and it helped me IMMENSELY to have those things to play around with. It gave my mind something to turn over, and mull over, and think about. And it was great. I think this would help ME write more, and more thoughtfully.
Some of my thinking on this is also a result of a lot of conversations I’ve heard and been part of all over the place in various online circles–people who want to keep blogging but have lost their mojo, people who miss blogging, people who want to get back to writing, people who want to have more to read, people who want to find new writers, etc. etc. etc. I’ve been thinking about how to do my part to build up the type of blogging I love for a while, but especially since this post (and the resulting, fantastic conversations) about the white noise of blogging.
This is the idea I keep coming back to, and even though I’m *slightly* terrified no one else will play along, I kinda feel like I have to do it, at least for a while. So, I’m trying to work out the details, and here’s what I’m thinking:
- Prompts would go up on Sunday, along with the linky. Hmmm, or does Monday make more sense? For some reason, I think it would be easier to have the prompts on Sunday but if you guys have other ideas, let me know.
- The linky would stay open until the next Sunday, so you’d have a week to write on that week’s prompts (well, you could write on them whenever, but the linkup would only be a week long).
- I’m thinking that putting up two separate, unrelated prompts would be a good idea–that way if one of them doesn’t completely grab you, you still have another option. (This of course assumes I’d be able to come up with/gather 2 prompts a week).
- Oh, speaking of, I would absolutely want/hope to get prompt ideas from others!
- In my head, the prompts are a wide variety of things–silly, serious, pop culture, blogging, parenting, friendship, work, marriage/relationships, animals, tv, makeup, etc. You know, basically all the random nonsense I currently write about. That way even if there’s nothing for you one week, you might find something the next week.
- I think part of what makes this fun is the idea of visiting the other bloggers who wrote on that week’s prompts. Hopefully, if you wrote something, you’d take the time to visit at least 1 or 2 other bloggers too. Obviously no one can force that, but it would make it more fun I think.
I absolutely, 100% don’t expect that anyone would do this every week (unless they want to!). I’m figuring it will be a drop in/as you are interested kind of gig. I wouldn’t want anyone to feel like they couldn’t join or express interest unless they were ALL IN. Yeah, no. I just think it would be a fun thing to do whenever you feel like it.
So, what am I forgetting? What haven’t I thought of?No tags for this post.