Desert Island Dining

by Ginger on May 2, 2013

in Random

The lovely Clara of @torturedpotato fame gave me today’s prompt:

If you could only take three foods to a desert island, what would they be?

(aside: if you feel like joining me in operation #bringbackthewords to write more, DO IT! Even if it’s not every day–pick your own frequency, and we can all support each other this month! Plus then I can get ideas from you ;-P)

Ok, this is a really tough thing to figure out. Because there’s the side of me that says to bring yummy foods like chips and cookies and diet coke(!) and other various and sundry processed/baked goods. Those things you know you’ll crave and can’t possibly replicate on a desert island and…yeah.

But THEN the practical side of me says, no, no, bring things that will make survival easier. Like a giant bag of beans maybe? Or rice? Or, like, quinoa or something (I’d figure out a pot somehow. Look, the prompt was about the foods, not the methods)?

Or I can go down the route of, ok, what would enhance what I would probably be able to get on the island. I’m going to assume fish/shellfish. And salt’s not really an issue. So maybe things like spices? Seasonings? Condiments to mix things up?

Oh, who am I kidding, I’m totally going to answer this using yummy foods. I’ll assume I’m going to survive through some other means.

Diet Coke. Lots and lots of diet coke. Because duh. Did you really think otherwise?

Cookie Butter and Apples. My blog, my rules. They count as one.

Fully Loaded Nachos. Ditto. They count as one.

(I’m clearly also assuming these are magically regenerating foods.)

Crap, that didn’t leave room for booze. Or anything sour. Or candy. Or tacos. Or pickles. Or….damn, this is hard. I think I’ll just avoid the desert island instead.

What about you? What would you bring?

clara May 2, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Tortilla chips, the Fresh is Best kind because they are magical.
Really garlicky hummus.
Dark chocolate. Or maybe brownies. Or maybe dark chocolate brownies.

But wait, what about coffee? Damn. Or would I need coffee on a desert island? Or could i GROW coffee..aha. Never mind the coffee.

Ginger May 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Oh man, tortilla chips. I forgot about those.

Ginger May 4, 2013 at 12:33 pm

WAIT! Tortilla chips are PART of my nachos. I am genius, clearly.

nonsequiturchica May 3, 2013 at 6:20 am

My favorite food is corn so I would be bringing lots and lots of CORN. I know it’s weird, but this is MY fantasy. 🙂

Ice cream would be my second thing- probably either Ben & Jerry’s S’mores or Americone Dream. I’m not sure how I would keep it frozen, but I would figure it out.

Hmm I guess I would need some sort of heavier food/entree to stay alive so maybe chicken pot pie or CP makes a FABULOUS Vietnamese stew with lemongrass broth. Mmmmm.

Ginger May 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Mmmmmm, that all sounds amazing. Clearly, this desert island has a freezer & fridge. 🙂

Alexis May 3, 2013 at 7:22 am

Diet Coke, French Baguette with salted Butter and the Chicken Tikka Masala that Mirch Masals in CT makes. I may wind up being the only cast-away to come home weighing 100 pounds more than when they started, but whatever. 🙂

Ginger May 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Clearly, my nachos will also aid in my weight gain plan 😉

Elise May 4, 2013 at 6:48 am

I’m also having trouble with the words lately. Well, for the last year. I don’t think I’m going to post every day this month, but I would really like to get into an every other day habit. And I’m excited for you to get back into regular posting!
My foods would be (following your logic about survival coming from other foods): brownies, bagels (duh), and cheese. There are about a million things I want to add to that list (4th place goes to anything pretzel related), but I’m a rule follower, so I’ll stop now. 😉

Ginger May 4, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Yay! Another person to join in!

Oooh, bagels. Yeah, that’s a good one.