The next few days will be interesting.
I’m supposed to go to New York on Saturday for a week long business trip, a trade show/conference/marketing juggernaut that we’ve been planning for months. I hate this trip every year (who schedules this nonsense in New York in FEBRUARY?) and try to get out of it when I can, but we have too many major major projects this year that I needed to be there for, so off I go.
Well, that’s what is supposed to happen. Whether that actually happens, well, that’s looking less sure.
In case you live under a rock (or on the west coast), there’s a major winter storm headed straight for that area, with the worst of the storm (for New York) hitting Friday night into Saturday morning, which makes the whole “travel” part of my business trip a little…sketchy, to say the least. They’ve already cancelled all the flights my coworkers were on on Friday. It’s still entirely up in the air when, exactly, I’ll get there, and how much time, exactly, I’m going to spend stuck in the airport.
Now look, I KNOW that for the people who live there, this is more than just an annoyance. I know people are stocking up on food, batteries, diapers, wine, etc. I know there are concerns about retaining heat and power, and concerns about downed trees and the other dangers that 40-70 mph winds can present. When we lived in the area, we went through 2 pretty major snow storms, including one that dumped something like 26 inches of snow in Central Park (fun fact: we were jerks who had sushi delivered in the early-but-not-early-enough part of that storm. They were only a block from our house, and they were there and serving, but I still feel like an ass for having a delivery guy trudging out in rapidly falling snow as whiteout conditions started. We tipped AWESOME though, to make up for being jerks.) and preparing to live through that kind of disruption, both during and after the storm, is no walk in the park. I understand that completely. And now that I have a kid, I think of being cooped up in the house with a 3 year old during a storm like this and I wish I could send every parent in the path of this storm a giant bottle of wine or at bare minimum a giant bottle of Advil.
But the idea of traveling in this nonsense? It’s really not that great.
Here’s the thing. I wish the storm was going to hit after I arrived. I’d be fine with going THROUGH a blizzard (in fact, without kids or having to worry about paying the heating bill, there can be something eerily calm about a storm like that), but traveling with one is what I’m having some problems with. Or, probably more accurately, NOT traveling with one.
Or, probably even more accurately, the complete lack of control I have in this situation.
I have nothing. I have a trade show that starts Sunday morning at 10 am. I have a plane ticket for a flight that is supposed to take off at 7:25 on Saturday morning, but in all likelihood will NOT take off at 7:25 on Saturday morning. I have ZERO clue what happens from there. Will I get there Saturday? Sunday? Will the storm be bigger than expected, and delay travel more than that? Will it be smaller and everything will be fine?
WHO KNOWS? Welcome to Blizzard Travel Roulette.No tags for this post.