The Travel Bug

by Ginger on January 29, 2013

in Entertain Me

Lately, I have the itch to travel.

I’m going to New York next weekend for work, but that’s not the same (honestly, standing in a trade show booth is just…not really traveling. It’s working, just with the added annoyance of an 8 hour commute and sleeping in a hotel). I want to travel FOR ME. By myself. With my husband. With my kid. Whatever, I just want to go.

N.C. just got back from Baton Rouge, and now we’ve been chatting about how we can get back to that area together. I want to go to Chicago for BlogHer. I want to take Jackson to visit family. I want to go to Charleston for The Blathering. I want to take an anniversary trip with N.C. I…want to get away, clearly.

Some of it has to do with work, and how much I am learning that I need a B.R.E.A.K. sometimes. Like, a real, honest to goodness break, not just a “I took the day off but will still check my work email as much as I can” break. Vacations are good for real breaks. Who knew?

But some of it is just an itch to GOOOOOOO. My trip to New Orleans reminded me of how much fun travel can be: seeing new places, eating new foods, experiencing new things. Especially when you pair that with awesome people? Travel can be great.

And look, it’s not like I’m a big traveler (or ever have been). But even small trips can be great, and it’s that kind of thing that I’m itching to do. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t say no to a trip to Italy or Hawaii or Costa Rica or that kind of thing, but even a road trip to Palm Springs would be nice.

I live in an amazing place, paradise even (come visit me!), but there are so many fun and interesting places out there too. Places with history and character and their own unique awesomeness. I just want to see and experience those places too.

Like I said, I have an itch.

Related Posts with ThumbnailsNo tags for this post.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Charleen January 29, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I totally get it. Make it happen. Even if it is just a little trip. I mean, a true vacation is nice, but it’s not always an option, unfortunately. A day trip to somewhere nearby is much more manageable.

Ginger January 30, 2013 at 2:43 pm

We’re trying to plan a few of those (luckily there are options around us!). I sometimes forget about trying to do that kind of stuff in the hustle and bustle, but it really is our best option.

Erica January 30, 2013 at 12:12 am

We are lucky to travel often as tagalongs with my husband. Get out there! It’s great for kids to get outside their little routine too. Why not weekend warrior it up soon?

Ginger January 30, 2013 at 2:44 pm

We’re trying to find a time/place to take the kiddo up to some snow, so it’s on the agenda. Or if not snow, maybe we’ll head to Palm Springs in a few months…

Mama Durso January 30, 2013 at 5:29 am

I know exactly what you mean. I’ve been itching to go to a place with snow since San Diego is not so much about winter weather. It’s awesome to not have to deal with chains and icy roads, but sometimes I long for seasons. But I think the hubs and I will just pack the toddlers on the train and trek up to Santa Barbara for a weekend. It’s enough to break the monotony. :)

Ginger January 30, 2013 at 2:45 pm

We’ve talked about getting a place for a night up somewhere with snow. Mostly that one is a timing thing, but we may actually try for this weekend!

Susie January 30, 2013 at 8:17 am

Arizona! Less than four weeks! Wheee! I mean, I know that isn’t traveling how NOLA was, we aren’t going sight seeing etc., but it’ll be great people and a relaxing, non-working weekend!

Ginger January 30, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Oh, if you think I’m not CLINGING to the Arizona-ness in my future, you’d be very wrong. I can’t WAIT.

The only problem is, it makes me also want to go somewhere else the next weekend. And the one after that. And the one after that. (darn that whole working/money thing).

April January 31, 2013 at 4:37 pm

We were trying to take a family trip to Colorado in August, but my husband is pulling back on it so my next idea is family trip to San Diego, when it’s not busy season for him…

Classic NYer February 3, 2013 at 7:18 pm

How is it that I never know when you’re in my city??

Hope February 15, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I wish we’d taken one last vacation before having a kid. But I was hoarding my PTO for maternity leave, so I barely had any days off last year. I’m really hoping that we can take a real vacation as a family this year, even if it’s just to go stay with friends or family somewhere not too far away.