Maybe I Have a Bold Side After All

by Ginger on January 20, 2013

in Becoming Myself

So.

Saturday, I did…this:

It’s…very red. Here, lemme show you another shot in different lighting:

It is ridiculously red. Like, candy apple red. You should see the beacon it creates in the sunlight.

I. Love. It.

I need to do something about  my eyebrows (I’ve been testing some different brow pencil colors to help a little), and I’m interested to see what it will fade to given that red fades faster than any other color. But I love it. I love how bold it is, how absolutely NOT “natural” looking it is on me (these pictures don’t really do the vibrancy of it justice), and how wonderful it feels to do something so “not me” that feels so “me”.

Another “not me” thing that feels so “me” is this outfit from the other day:

(Man, there is just no good way to get a full body shot with both my head AND my feet in this house. Oh well, this is reason #4327 I’m not a fashion blogger).

Anyway, this outfit. I LOVE it. I love how sassy it is, and how bold it is, and how FUN it is. I got a zillion compliments on it at work, and I felt fabulous all day wearing it.

I semi-joked on Twitter the other day that between the crazy outfits, the crazy hair color, and all the new makeup stuff, I must be going through a third-of-life-crisis. But while I joke, there’s also some truth there. I’m coming into my own in a lot of ways, and it’s changing my outlook on a lot of different aspects of my life.

For example, that outfit up there. All together, it seemed a little much when I first thought to put those pieces together. I even second guessed myself, and asked Twitter if they thought it was too much. But I knew that I loved it as soon as I stopped thinking about how “NOT ME” it supposedly was. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I actually really LOVE some quirky boldness in my wardrobe.

I always think of myself (and my fashion) as pretty boring and average. But then I think about the fact that I have and wear more sequins in my day to day life than most people are probably ok with. I love wearing vibrant colors. My red trench coat is one of my favorite items of clothing. I wear a lot of black and grey, but that’s at least partly because turquoise and fuchsia and purple and teal and red all look so good with those colors. For heaven’s sake, I have purple sequined Chuck Taylors. Maybe I’m not so boring and average after all. Maybe, just maybe, there is more adventurousness and quirkiness and fun to me than I’ve ever been able to accept about myself.

The reality is, this outfit? My new hair? They feel like me, or at least a part of me. They ALSO feel like the natural progression in my understanding of me. A year ago, two, three? I probably would have said that both these things were too much. Too bold. Too in your face. I would have been too afraid of standing out to ever attempt them.

Now, they feel like a fun side of me that I had forgotten I had coming out to play again. Or for the first time.

And honestly? It feels awesome.

Related Posts with ThumbnailsNo tags for this post.

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Erica January 20, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Absolutely. Fabulous.

Becky January 21, 2013 at 3:35 am

I love it! Great color, great cut. I’ve been going through something similar lately (went from blonde to dark, taking ART classes FTLOG, etc.), so I know exactly what you mean. Self discovery, woo!

april January 21, 2013 at 5:51 am

The hair looks awesome! I had a similar color from eighth grade until just a couple years ago, but I’ve finally decided to stop with the red. My hair sucks up color like nobody’s business, so anything with “mahogany” in the title turns my hair a deep purple. (ha, Deep Purple). Lately I’ve been sticking to the same color every time and it’s such a relief to know exactly what my hair is going to look like.

And your outfit is adorable. And you, are adorable. Have a great week!

Chel January 21, 2013 at 7:24 am

I’ve been doing the same thing. A couple months ago I dyed my hair a reddish brown and got so many compliments I decide to go redder this weekend. It looks kinda purple but I love it. We’ll see what my boss says tomorrow, I may be dying it back to brown after he sees.

Heather January 21, 2013 at 7:30 am

You just look fantastic. Embrace YOU!

Ashley Austrew January 21, 2013 at 7:37 am

Yay! Your hair looks fantastic! Always great when parts of you you’ve forgotten about come out to play 🙂

Michelle January 21, 2013 at 8:50 am

Love the hair and the outfit! You look fabulous!

Shalini January 21, 2013 at 10:37 am

You’re so fantastic. I’m so happy to say I know you.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks January 21, 2013 at 10:53 am

I love this post – I can practically feel you beaming through it. I also love that outfit, not just because it’s a great combination of fun colors and prints, but also because it looks comfy, too. I also love that you work in an industry that allows you to explore your creativity without getting its panties in a bunch that it’s too much.

Tragic Sandwich January 21, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Love the color! And don’t worry too much about the eyebrows unless it bothers you. I’m a natural coppery auburn with natural dark eyebrows.

The outfit is great, too. Have fun.

melanie jean juneau January 21, 2013 at 9:10 pm

🙂

Classic NYer January 26, 2013 at 4:48 pm
Jocelyn | ScooterMarie February 2, 2013 at 6:25 am

I love it too! I think the color is great, your cut/style is really cute, and those red shoes you wore are fantastic! And where did you get purple sequined Chucks?? I want some! 🙂

Hope February 15, 2013 at 6:25 pm

That color looks great on you! Not everyone can pull off a red like that, but you’re working it!

I have a similarly bold hair color. I was sighing to my stylist about how I wished I could go fuchsia or purple and so we went RED with my highlights. It sounds kindof gross, but it will last a lot longer if you don’t wash your hair every day. I have curly hair that frizzes if you look at it funny, so I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week anyways.