Morning Smiles, Night Smiles

by Ginger on January 16, 2013

in Becoming Myself

So last week, I talked about figuring out who I want to be and how I want to describe myself, and it’s something I still have on my mind, a lot. I still don’t know the answers, but one thing I did figure out is that I want to put a little more positivity out into the world, even if it’s only to balance the snarky sarcastic stuff I put out.

Anyway, what I’ve started doing is a twice daily acknowledgement of the things in my life that are good/make me smile/make me happy. I’m putting them on Twitter, with the hashtags #MorningSmiles and #NightSmiles (I’m so original, huh?)(also, you’re welcome to use those hashtags if you want to play along. A quick search tells me that I’m not the only one doing something similar). It’s been an interesting exercise, even in the short time I’ve been doing it.

I’ve done this through being sick, a fight with my husband, three year old freak outs, work stress, and other things that make me clench my teeth and complain. There have been mornings and nights when I’ve had to struggle to think of things that are happy and not just bitchbitchbitch.

But I can always find something.

The thing that has been the most interesting though, has been how these two simple tweets a day have changed how I think about my day. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I still do PAHLENTY of bitching and complaining. I didn’t have a total personality transplant, and there is still plenty in my day that is complain worthy and stressful.

But I do find myself noticing the good things more throughout the day. I have a running tally of happy things in my head all day long, that I try to add to as things occur. Because I notice more and because I have the tally going and because I’m trying to add to it all day, I find myself paying more attention to good and happy and lovely throughout the day.

It’s a nice little bonus.

Look, I don’t know how long I’ll keep this up. And I don’t know what the long term benefits/effects/reactions will be. And I definitely don’t know what exactly this means in my attempt to describe myself.

But for right now, I’m enjoying putting a little more positivity into my world.

Related Posts with ThumbnailsNo tags for this post.

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

CharlieSue January 17, 2013 at 12:35 am

This is SUCH an awesome idea. I LOVE IT and I may shamelessly steal it.

I’ve been working on a huge project for about the last six months which has consumed a lot of time and caused a lot of anxiety. Today they announced that the center (where all of the work was to happen) is closing in June. Which means… everything needs to be re-done. And I just wasted six months.

But… I don’t work at that center. Right? I HAVE A JOB.

I like remembering good. THANK YOU for this. :)

Anne January 17, 2013 at 8:15 am

That’s a GREAT idea! I may steal it from you….

[the other] Ginger January 17, 2013 at 8:37 am

Glad the help at work is making you smile. :)
I try to talk about the positives of the day each night with my kids, hoping that will help them to view the world in a more positive light. Plus it is a good exercise for me!

andie January 17, 2013 at 10:21 am

what a great idea! i saw it popping up on twitter and it makes me smile too. i’ll also pass this on to hubby, being a stay-at-home dad is hard work and he gets frustrated with the toddler (eating issues, napping or the lack of, normal toddler tantrum behavior). i think i need a white board in the house to write down something good that happened so we can look on it every night and be happy. thanks for this idea Ginger :)

TechyDad January 17, 2013 at 10:26 am

This cheered me up a bit. We’ve been stressing over a situation with our son. Something I can’t really blog or tweet publicly about. (Too many people related to the situation know my blog/Twitter name.) So I’ve been very stressed. Looking on the positive side, though, I have my wonderful wife in my corner. She’s well versed in this kind of matter and we’re going full-on battle mode together until this situation is properly resolved. My morning/evening smile is knowing that I’m not tackling this alone and that she’s by my side on this.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks January 17, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I just started to fill out The Happiness Project’s One Sentence Journal and sort of love that it gives me a chance to reflect on my day. Similarly, I love that twice a day, you think about the things that make you sing – such a simple, easy activity that clearly is having a positive effect on you.

Shalini January 17, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Oh, this is a great idea. May be stealing it!

Christa the BabbyMama January 18, 2013 at 6:48 am

Love this! Sometimes even just looking for something to be happy about can shift my mood :) I used to complain way more on my blog, but now I try to look for the good stuff!

april January 18, 2013 at 6:57 am

I love it too, and I very much need it in my lift to remind myself how great my life really is. #stealing #lovetoyou :)

gigi January 18, 2013 at 9:40 am

Love this idea. I’ve been trying to keep a gratitude journal for these very reasons (on my phone via an app) and I haven’t been sticking to it. I tend to dwell on the negative and I know it could really help me. I love that you’re tweeting your happiness out into the world. :)

Mama Mary January 18, 2013 at 9:42 am

Love it, Ginger. I do the same, but I don’t put it on Twitter. Maybe I need to start. : ) It’s funny how being positive is sometimes hard work, but I notice such a difference in my life when I look for the good and show gratitude for those things, even the little ones.

Katie January 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm

This is such a great idea!

Cloud January 19, 2013 at 7:46 am

It really is true that you get what you measure… Measuring smiles is a great idea!

Jamie January 19, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I may not remember to partake every day but will try to add to it when I can.. it’s a good way to reflect.

Hope February 15, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Love it! I’ve been working on trying to be more positive. I’m switching offices soon and one of my coworkers was saying that it will be nice to have someone with a sunny personality like mine at work. And all I could think was, “Shit, he thinks I’m sunny!” And then I decided that maybe it would be nice to be the person in the office that has a good attitude and cheers everyone up.

We’ll see. :p