The Joy of Christmas with a 3 Year Old

by Ginger on December 19, 2012

in Celebrations

I’ve always loved Christmas. As I’ve mentioned once or twice or twelve times before. It’s always been my favorite holiday, filled with my favorite traditions, and I have to admit, I couldn’t wait to have a little one around to share it with.

And hooboy, are we sharing it this year. Because this kid? LOVES all things Christmas.

It started when Target put the Christmas decorations up right around Halloween. Jackson was entranced, and every time we’d go in the store, he’d clamor to go “see the trees and decorations and lights!” We put up our own decorations earlier than we would have otherwise, because he was so excited about every Christmas thing we saw. He exclaims over every snowman! Santa! ornament! wreath! bell! light! star! nativity! nutcracker! stocking! tree! that he sees. We have read The Night Before Christmas every day for weeks. And Every.Single.Day we leave our house or come back to our house or drive down a road he exclaims over Every.Single.Light.

He has (without us planning it) seen Santa in person THREE times. When he saw the Santa in Home Depot, he tried to show him all the decorations and…Santa stuff, rather than answer what he wanted for Christmas (his previous answer to another Santa? “Uhhh, presents!”).

No fear of Santa here.

I love it. I LOVE it. It is everything I imagined a holiday with a kid could be like and more. And it makes me want to do ALL the holiday things, ever, anywhere, because I know he’ll love them. It’s been really hard to not go overboard on the Christmas stuff because it is just so FUN to watch him get so excited about it all.

And he is excited. He loves it all, and not because he wants presents (though, yes, he does want those). But he just loves it all because it is everything a happy preschooler could want. It is light and joy and love and fun and magic and myth and sparkly and special.  What’s NOT to love?

Watching him experience and enjoy all the trappings of the Christmas season this year has been an amazing joy and gift for me. It has been something that has lifted me through the stress at work, the horror of the news, the pressure of the to-do list. Because I know, every day, that this little boy is going to find something to be in awe about, something to adore, something to look at with wonder. And damn, if that’s not one of the coolest things to witness, I just don’t know what is.

April December 20, 2012 at 3:13 am

How sweet and adorable! Christmas is way better with kids, it just is.

Jess @ Wrangling Chaos December 20, 2012 at 7:24 am

Christmas with little kids is the absolute best thing in the world. Their joy in the magic makes it so real, and so fun.

Allison December 20, 2012 at 9:14 am

I love this! I also have a 3-year-old who is helping me slow down and see Christmas through his eyes. From the love of his Christmas Village to his excitement over the Advent Calendar… it’s such a joy to have these little kiddos and experience life through them, and remember that there is joy, love and innocence still in this world.

Joanne M. December 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm

That really is the cutest picture ever!

cliffie December 20, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Great picture and thanks for sharing. My kids are grown so thank you for letting me see it through his eyes. It’s great parents that gave him this joy so be a little proud. You’ve done a good job!

melanie jean juneau December 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I miss what you are just beginning to discover. Enjoy the next ten years! With nine kids, Christmas was a magical time,. Michael and I transformed the house on Christmas Eve with strings of lights, fruit bowls, candy and nut bowls, stuffed animals and presents, The kids would wander about with their eyes popping and their mouths open. We would hear little gasps of awe from them

Christa the BabbyMama December 27, 2012 at 10:41 am

I’m not huge on Christmas myself for various reasons, but I love love love my daughter’s enthusiasm! It’s catching, and consequently our house is Christmas central starting the day after Thanksgiving 🙂

sam January 2, 2013 at 12:28 am

My three year old was thrilled about all the Christmas things this year too! I forgot how much fun it can be.