A Shocking Confession

by Ginger on October 17, 2012

in Becoming Myself

So, I have something kind of shocking to tell you. A confession of sorts.

I’ve been working out…and I think I’m kind of getting attached to it.

I know, I know. But I promise I haven’t been abducted by aliens, or brainwashed, or taken over by pod people.

A few weeks ago, I decided to challenge myself to doing the entire 30 Day Shred–not everyday, because my knees can’t take it, but at least 4-5 days a week until I’ve been through the whole program. My hope was that if I could make it to the end of that challenge, then it would be easier for me to commit to working out 2-3 days a week, which I really *should* be doing.

Of course, I also wanted to lose weight, tone up, sleep better, and gain some energy. Let’s not kid ourselves.

Anyway, I’ve been doing this whole working out thing for 3 weeks, and I’ve kept up a consistent 5 days a week (even though I want to punch Jillian Michaels in the face every time I do that workout), and I’ve noticed something kind of disturbing…

The days I don’t work out, I’m grouchier, more stressed, and more overwhelmed.

(I swear, it’s like I don’t even KNOW myself)

The thing I find interesting is that, so far, I don’t have more energy, I’m not necessarily sleeping better, I haven’t really toned anything yet, and I still REALLY DON’T LIKE WORKING OUT. But I do notice a significant difference in my attitude, to the point where I made myself take a walk during my lunch hour the other day when I was getting overly stressed at work.

I don’t know if knowing that is enough to keep me going through and after my challenge, but it’s something I’m surprised by and happy to learn, and something I hope I can remember as I go forward.

I’d like to be a person who enjoys working out, but if I can’t have that, I’ll settle for being someone who enjoys the benefits of working out enough to compensate.

But seriously, when this challenge is up, I need something besides the 30 Day Shred. I HATE that thing.

Jesabes October 17, 2012 at 7:45 am

When people talk about this it makes me NERVOUS to work out. I…never do, yet am not stressed/cranky most days. I’m worried if I start I’ll have to keep it up regularly!

Megan @ Mama Bub October 17, 2012 at 8:35 am

When I’m working out (rarely) I hate it, but I do feel so much better about myself. it’s like that annoying thirty minutes just readjusts my brain to be able to handle everything better. Also, I turn down Jillian’s voice and blast my iPod instead. It’s the only way to make it through the Shred without becoming homicidal.

nonsequiturchica October 17, 2012 at 8:36 am

Do you want to stay working out with Jillian? I really like her “No More Trouble Zones” DVD. Or if you want to continue working out at home to DVDs, how about P90X, Insanity, or that Billy Blanks kickboxing workout? There are TONS of them on the market and a lot of them you can even preview using OnDemand before buying them.

Ginger October 17, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I wouldn’t mind staying w/Jillian (even though I want to punch her), since I do find the workouts…uh, work me out? But it’s really getting hard on my knees, so I need to find something that maybe doesn’t do QUITE so many squats/lunges. Does such a thing exist?

Alexis October 17, 2012 at 11:05 am

If you can stomach more Jillian, her kettle bell workouts are fun and you can do them with any old weight you have around. (Gallon milk jug with some sand? Perfect.) I am really getting hooked on the workout videos on Hulu. You do have to sift through since lots are useless 2 minute clips, but there are many 10 minute clips and three played in a row makes a nice, varied workout. Lastly, though many hate it, running is always there. Couch to 5K or the “Train Like a Mother” plans will get you started with low, non-knee killing intensity. I find working out doesn’t change how I look, give me more energy or even increase my fitness level ( I am fitness-resistant…true story) but it still make a huge difference to my mental state. Whatever you chose: rock on!

Ginger October 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Ooh, I’ve been wondering about a kettlebell workout. Those seem like they’d be a GOOOD workout.

I’ve contemplated trying the C25K program, but I get SO nervous about my knees. I’m already a 2 time knee surgery veteran & the crackling is starting up again, so I’m gunshy. But maybe it’s time to give it a shot–it can’t be too much worse than 20 minutes of lunges & squats!

Hope October 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm

If your form is decent, running is actually supposed to be fairly good for your knees. The trick is to make sure that you’re wearing good shoes and that you do cross training to make sure that you’re not weak in some areas. I had knee problems, but I solved them by working on my glutes and stretching my IT bands better. Using a foam roller helped me a *lot.*

Erica October 17, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Agreed! I didn’t exercise for years and now that I’m back I’m so thankful for it. It has saved my sanity, BIG TIME.

Classic NYer October 17, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I so hear you. I’m not interested in losing weight… in fact I’m in the market to gain a few pounds if you have any lying around. I work out to stay sane. Well, relatively sane.

melanie jean juneau October 17, 2012 at 6:38 pm

congratulations- you are an example of fortitude!! exercise does releve stress if nothing else

Christa the BabbyMama October 18, 2012 at 6:37 am

I love working out. Love it. If I skip more than a day or so my brain goes splat. I just feel wrong when I don’t do it, and working out gives me an excuse to watch television without feeling guilty so it’s win-win!

Tracy October 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

Ginger, I think it’s awesome that you are working out! I always hated working out, especially at the gym. I thought people were looking at me funny and I would always compare myself the the toned girls in the skimpy outfits. Since we moved to Texas things have become so much more stressful. I needed an escape, so Nick and I bought an elliptical. At first I really liked it and was doing 30 minuets about 3 times a week and was happy, then I started to become obsessed. I was watching the calories and starting seeing a difference in not only how I felt, but how I looked and it was so motivating. After 3 months I got up to doing an hour 4-5 times a week! When I didn’t work out I felt guilty, I would jump on that elliptical any time I could. Since we bought the thing I have lost over 20 pounds and don’t fit into any of my old cloths! It’s such a great feeling and so motivating. Stress is reduced, I have been sleeping better, it is a good time to zone out and watch some TV after work and I honestly enjoy it now. I hope you keep it up, when you really start to see results it makes it all the more exciting! 🙂