This Week Has Been Weird

by Ginger on September 7, 2012

in Day in the Life

This week has been weird.

Over here in one corner, there’s the post that won’t quit. I know I’m supposed to pretend that this is all normal and not anything special and act all nonchalant, but I can’t do that. This is WEIRD. It’s so strange to see my words flying around the internet like this, to wake up everyday to more shares and more visits than the entire history of my blog combined (and doubled). It’s weird to feel an obligation about what I should (or shouldn’t) post now, and to know I have to get over that if I ever want to write ANYTHING again. (Sorry to anyone who is coming back to my blog hoping for more politics. I’m tapped out now.) (I’ve also got a wicked case of writer’s block because of it, hence why you’re getting this post–I’ve got to write something to get over the hump of writing nothing.)  It’s also awesome, to see that my words are resonating with people, that I managed that lightning in a bottle of saying exactly what I wanted to say exactly how I wanted to say it and that other people feel that it captured THEIR feelings. That’s pretty cool.

And over here in this corner, there’s work. I’m in the middle of setting up the biggest marketing campaign I’ve worked on in about six years, plus prepping for the biggest ongoing project my group has seen..EVER? I’m actually in my element, but it’s also a lot of pressure–there are a lot of balls in the air, and if one falls, I’m the only one who gets to answer for it. And this week is the week that everyone seems to have woken up and started actually paying attention to what I’m doing (I guess the fact that Labor Day is over made everyone pay attention to the calendar finally), so the pressure really ramped up this week. I’m handling it, but it is intense.

Then, over here in another corner, there’s a little boy who just turned three. THREE. It seems impossible that he’s three already, and yet here we are. I’m working on my annual post reflecting on what the past year of motherhood has been like for me, but I can’t seem to find the right words this year. Jackson is so big in my life, and motherhood is such a large part of who I am now that it’s taking me a while to process it enough to put down on paper, er, screen. But that doesn’t stop the actual event from happening, so there are party plans in the works (our first birthday party for him, and WHOA is he excited. I’m surprised you haven’t heard his exclamations of “my birfday party!!” from where you are), and school celebrations that were had, and birthday balloons that were procured. I’m not a Pinterest/crafty mom, more of a “can we buy it at the store?” mom, but I’ve tried in my own way to make this celebration one that is a happy memory for him. I think it’s working, but we’ll see tomorrow after the party.

Like I said, it’s been a weird week. I’m hoping that writing through it will knock out my writer’s block, but even if not, I needed to acknowledge the strangeness. Because what else is this blog for?

Oh, I know, sharing a video of a duck running:

Happy Friday everyone!

No tags for this post.
Charleen September 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Excellent choice on the video. That duck is adorable.

Natalie the Singingfool September 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Oddly enough, the duck video says it all…

Kim September 7, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Thank you for the adorable duck. I needed that right this minute.

clara September 7, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I LOVE DUCKS.

Have a relaxing weekend. Please? 🙂

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf September 8, 2012 at 6:12 pm

OK – I think that is the best video ever. Such a cute little duckling! It always seems to happen that way, doesn’t it? Everything converges at once. It’s nuts but I hope that you enjoy the weekend. Happy Birthday to Jackson. Crazy how fast they grow, no? I mean, I’m now the mom of a Kindergartener. How the hell did THAT happen??? 🙂

Andrea September 9, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Well, just wanted to say that although I don’t post much (maybe only once, on the thread about books we read as kids?) I do visit regularly. I had no idea your post went viral, seems to have happened while I was offline. Congratulations! But I hope you don’t feel crazy pressure, because I like your writing just the way it is. Honest and real, nothing fancy, just relate-able. (I hyphenated that because spell check doesn’t like it. Not a word, apparently. I digress)

I don’t have a blog, so I’m just an average reader who struggles with how to keep my intellect sharpened and honed while being a mom (usually a working mom, although currently on a 6 mo maternity leave). So I’m not posting here for reciprocity (liked that post you wrote, btw) but rather thought I should come out of lurking to let you know that you have some of us who will stick with you; hopefully you don’t feel you have to change how you blog because of a recent surge of visitors. Hopefully those visitors will see you for who you are and want to stay around, too.

I’ve always enjoyed your reads around the web, and I do hope you’ll pull together your thoughts on literature we read that we aren’t sure our sons will like as much as we did, because I think that’s a great topic and you’d have a lot to add. 🙂

Keep on, and thanks for posting even through the writer’s block.

Ginger September 12, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thank you so much for saying all this. Seriously, you helped me…unclench about some of this stuff. And not just because you were flattering (though I do love me some compliments, I mean who doesn’t right?) but because you put into words what’s been in my head: I don’t blog for the stats, but for the connections and as long as I stay true to that, the rest will work itself out.

So thank you. Seriously.
(Oh, and I’m totally gonna do that boys and books post at some point!)

oilandgarlic September 10, 2012 at 10:50 am

I really liked that post but didn’t link to it; guess I didn’t have to as it went viral!

Breeb September 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I have been enjoying your blogs viral or not! Please don’t let that blog intimidate you, there will be a time when it will happen again. Just relax be yourself and let the words flow!
Well I guess you and Jackson are recovering from his Birthday Celebration, Celebrating your 3rd birthday is so exciting—-3 candles to blow out…wow! At
this age every day is full of wonderous sights and lots of questions and before
you know it the wonderful 4th birthday is here!!
Sounds as though you have alot going on in your life—enjoy. Looking forward
your next blog.

Kim Ayres September 11, 2012 at 6:12 am

Hi Ginger,

I read your original post a few days back when someone shared it on Facebook. It made a lot of sense and I enjoyed it. Although I don’t live in the US I have many friends and connections who do, so am very aware of the issues you raised. I thought your point was very well made 🙂

Coming back and reading the last post and this one, I was struck by just how wonderous and scary it is for your blog to go from generally plodding along to a sudden massive influx of visitors. A similar thing happened to me about 3 years ago when my blog got flagged up on Blogger’s “Blogs of Note” area and I went from about 50 views a day to 5,000 overnight.

In a couple of weeks I’d moved off the front page and the visits dropped off dramatically, and dealing with that was almost as tricky as dealing with the original mass of interest.

If you are interested, you might like to take a look at a couple of posts of mine. The first is “Be careful what you wish for” – http://kimayres.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/be-careful-what-you-wish-for.html – which charts the wide range of emotions experienced at being thrust into the spotlight.

The 2nd is “The Fleeting Fickleness of Fame” -http://kimayres.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/fleeting-fickleness-of-fame.html – which was written about a month later when all the attention was dying off.

Meanwhile, I wish you every success in your journey 🙂

With warmth,

Kim

Ginger September 12, 2012 at 10:08 pm

That range of emotions was pretty accurate! As is the second post–I’ve already seen a MASSIVE drop off in my stats, but I knew it was coming, so I’ve managed to not take it too personally.

Mostly it’s just…bizarre. That’s still just my best word for it. Bizarre.