Sensory Overload

by Ginger on July 24, 2012

in Mom Thoughts, The Kid

Mommy, pay trains with me!

Mommy, uppio!

Mommy, hold my hand!

Mommy, do puzzles with me!

Sit next to mommy!

Mommy, I pick you up? (He has his I/you/me’s all mixed up)

No, MOMMY do it!

Mommy, come on! Come on mommy!

Mommy,

Mommy,

Mommy,

Mommy!

So, yeah. We’ve definitely hit a period of parental favoritism. And it’s simultaneously the most adorable, heartwarming and FREAKING EXHAUSTING THING ever. I love that he loves me. I love that he needs me. I love that he feels safe, and happy, and loved when I’m around.

I just ALSO know that I’m exhausted sometimes by the level of neediness. When I’m at home, he seems to want me for everything. I am constantly touched, and climbed, and held onto. I am constantly talked at, tugged, and engaged. I am…starting to feel a little claustrophobic at times.

I feel bad for feeling that way. I know my husband has him more hours than I do, and I know that his toddler neediness doesn’t go away when I’m not home. I know, also, that it’s going to come back at some point where he wants his dad all the time and it’s going to hurt my feelings. I know all those “you should be grateful” things.

But I also know that I am someone who needs time and space to myself to recharge, and with the current state of toddlerhood, I don’t get that.

I love this kid, so, so, so much man. I love how he says “Mommy be my best fwend” and how he sings the baby bumble bee song, and how he shares his toys with other kids (particularly littler kids). I love how he hugs, and how he laughs, and that he calls me daddy and N.C. mommy half the time.

But some days, I just need him to stop talking to me nonstop. To stop pulling on me. To stop climbing me. To stop yelling for me. To STOP TOUCHING ME SO MUCH.

Some days, I just need a little space.

Tragic Sandwich July 24, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I completely get this. Baguette is All. Over. Me. There are times that I just want to yell, “Get off me!” I try to remember that she won’t always want to climb on my shoulders at every opportunity, and that indeed someday she won’t want to acknowledge that I’m there at all. But it can be hard.

shasta July 24, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Seriously with the needing just a few hours by yourself without being on-call! (And being alone in the office doesn’t count.) Mittens used to say “I wanna hold you!” to request that I pick her up. Made for some strange looks in public.

Brooke July 24, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I need alone time too, and between Kellen and the baby, it’s HARD to get that. I sometimes just drive a little bit longer in silence just to have a few minutes to myself to breathe before the motherhood craziness starts after a long day at work.

angela July 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I get this. Absolutely. I don’t have a solution, but you’re definitely not alone.

My little guy also confuses pronouns: “Mommy, peeesssse? Carry you?”

ARC July 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

It’s the opposite in our house as it’s been All About Daddy for maybe 6 months or more. BUT, now that my hubby stays home and has been spending more time with her, there’s some Mama preference sneaking in. So I wonder if it’s due to the person who’s away more seeming more interesting/special? I’m a pretty huggy person so the touching is ok, but the stepping on, climbing on, elbowing HAS TO STOP. And the talking, OMG. Hubby and I are both quiet introverts, so we just stare at each other helplessly and let them other one go away for some quiet time 🙂

Trisha July 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Oh how I remeber those days. My kids are a few years past this now but I still remember this feeling – of just wanting them to stop touching, asking, demanding. My kids would switch back and forth between wanting Mommy one week and then Daddy the next and both were hard. They’re either hanging off you every minute or not wanting anything to do with you. That’s motherhood!

Cloud July 24, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Just when you think you can’t possibly take anymore of this phase? It passes. Or at least that’s what happened to me last time. I’m still waiting for the end this time!

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf July 25, 2012 at 7:49 am

I totally get this too. The neediness and clamoring. The need for space. It’s funny though. In our house, it’s all about Daddy about 90% of the time (he spends more time with the boys) but then it’s like a vacuum seal once they get their time with me which I love but yes, stop touching me all the time!!

Michelle July 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I wonder if this is mostly an introvert type problem?

Lately the touching is at an all time high. He wants to be on me, held by me, or somehow touching me all the time. I get that he needs closeness and love, and I’m happy to give that, but I am finding myself at a breaking point daily at naptime when he just keeps touching my face! I just can’t handle him touching my face by that point in the day. It’s too much and I just want to scream (not in anger, but because it drives me nuts!).

Elizabeth July 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm

You’re melting me with the best fwend line!

Hannah is still pretty evenly split between us, but sometimes I feel that way about my puppies. Is that terrible? Hah.

(PS–Sorry these comments are in long, random bursts! Life has been a *little* crazy!)