A Little of This, A Little of That

by Ginger on July 6, 2012

in Day in the Life

So I don’t think I told you guys that N.C. & Jackson were in a fender bender a couple of weeks ago did I?

No, I didn’t think so.

They’re fine, but the car had some fairly annoying damage, so it’s been in the shop for a couple of weeks, which means that we’ve had a rental car. (And more than one reminder of how much only having one car can suck.) And the thing is, EVERY SINGLE TIME Jackson sees the car, he walks to the front bumper and says “Car had a big owie. Big bump. Had to take to the docker. It’s all better!”

And EVERY SINGLE TIME we drive past the spot that they had the accident, Jackson says “We had a BIG BUMP. Big bump. Daddy outside. Car had an owie.” (Daddy outside refers to when N.C. had to get out of the car to get the info from the other drivers. Yes, multiple).

Clearly, nothing is wrong with the child’s memory on something that made an impression (even though he can’t seem to remember instructions I gave him 30 seconds ago). It’s like the kid has a running video camera that auto replays those moments. On a loop. Every day. Multiple times a day.

**************

Things at work have been…wacky. Let’s just say that being a manager isn’t always fun and games, and the last few weeks have proven that.

If it wasn’t work, I’d make the following drinking game:

Take a swig every time my boss says “can you come in my office? And close the door?”
Take 2 swigs every time I have to explain why marketing can’t do (insert ridiculous thing that is not our job)
Let my staff take a swig every time I have to explain to other people why they can’t tell my staff to do X,Y, or Z
Take a swig every time I have to explain, AGAIN, why people need to keep to the deadlines we’ve given them.
Take a swig every time I have to talk to HR. Then another when I have to talk to them again about the exact same thing the next day.
Take 3 swigs every time I have to deal with complaints from other departments.
Finish the whole drink every time an author is crazy.

**************

Related: Guys, if you ever write a book, PLEASE don’t be a crazy author. No, I cannot MAKE Oprah pick your (non-fiction, reference) book for her book club. No, I cannot do anything about what Amazon reviews say. No, I cannot send you on an 18 city tour for your book that will probably only sell 1500 copies. No, I can’t force a store into taking your book, nor can I force them into letting you do a signing. Just…if you write a book, please take the time to learn a little bit about how the industry actually works and then try TRY to have at least somewhat realistic requests. Ok? Promise me?

**************

So, ah, just curious here:

HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU KEEP A TODDLER IN BED AT BEDTIME? Ahem. I don’t mean to yell, but it’s getting ridiculous. Last night, he got up 5 times. And what he does is he sneaks out of his bedroom super quiet, and then he sneaks up the stairs super quiet, and then he sits on the stairs super quiet until it gets to be too much for him and he sneaks all the way up stairs & into the living room. This process, if we don’t stop it in the middle, can take 30 minutes. And then when he sees us, and we say “Jackson, go back to bed,” his typical answer? “But I needa kiss!” Last night, he upped the cute ante by coming over to me and saying, “But you needa be my best fwend mommy.”

Yeah, yeah, ADORABLE. But not when bedtime now takes 2.5 hours and multiple trips up and down the stairs!

I knew we shouldn’t have taken the safety doorknob cover off his door.

**************

I’ve been having a bit of blogging block lately. It’s a little bit “I feel like I can’t talk about a bunch of stuff” and a little bit “why am I bothering, I’m not saying anything remarkable anyway”  and a little bit of “omg, I am boring MYSELF” and a little bit of “I’m kinda tired, I think I’d rather just watch Friends With Benefits (the one with Timberlake) again.” Oh and of course there’s a little bit of “omg the child doesn’t go to sleep until 10 pm now, when am I going to write?” Although that one’s not so much about block as it is logistics, so nevermind.

Anyway, to try and get myself out of it, I’m going to make the commitment to write every day next week—for me, writing every day usually helps me get back into the muscle memory of writing (duh, who’d of thunk it?), so I’m giving myself this little mini challenge. Let’s call it a Mid-Summer Reboot if you will.

So, yeah, see you every day next week!

Samantha July 6, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Is it weird that I want your job?! Not the drinking game part but the read manuscripts for a paycheck job. Guess my vision of publishing is skewed huh?

Carrie July 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Good luck on the whole toddler bedtime thing! I still can’t figure out how to get my 3.5 to fall asleep and then stay that way. :-/

nicoleandmaggie July 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Get down to his level. Lower your voice an octave. Look him in the eye. Say slowly and seriously. “You don’t have to go to sleep, but you do have to stay in bed. If you’re not sleepy you can do X, or Z, but you need to stay in your room.” You can also add, “We are not doing anything interesting down here.”

ARC July 6, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Love this. Totally works for us on the nights where there are many plaintive calls for “daddeeee, daddeeeeeeeee” over the monitor. (Our girl doesn’t think she’s allowed out of her room for some reason, which I’m fine with, but then summons us at sometimes-inconvenient hours.)

We also have a baby gate right outside her little hallway, so she can’t go far and wander through the house etc.

emily July 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

i recall getting out of bed a lot and sneaking downstairs when i was little– maybe somewhere between 3 and 5 years old. we used to have to go to bed as soon as Looney Tunes came on Nickelodeon; we weren’t allowed to watch the show because my mom told us it was too violent. (we had to wait until we were old enough to know that, and i quote, “if you fall off a cliff like the coyote, you don’t get back up and walk away.”)
honestly, my parents used to just let us fall asleep wherever we landed. as long as we were quiet, i guess. my mom just had one rule– no falling asleep at the top of the stairs, just in case we slid. more often than not, i ended up on the bathroom floor!

Shell Flower July 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Your tales of corporate woe crack me up. You have way more of a “cool” job than me (insurance, yep, that bad) yet the corporate world is the same no matter what you are doing–even in Creative. LOL. The drinking game would solve all corporate ills, though. I like that idea.

As for the BOY, I can so relate, except we had a much smaller place where my son’s room was right off the kitchen and living room. I was a full-on single mom when my son was Jackson’s age, so I really needed him to be in bed at a certain hour. Basically, I told him that I “clocked out” at 8pm and he could do whatever he wanted in his room after that, but if he so much as set foot over “the line” (we had a handy carpet to linoleum metal plate at his door, which helped A LOT, but duct tape would do) after 8pm, I was going to totally freak out. He knew I wasn’t kidding. I think this worked because a) there were consequences (me freaking out) b) there was a clear line to cross and c) he knew that he could do anything (within reason) in his room and I would not try to make him sleep unless he crossed the line. It’s one of my only success stories as a disciplinarian 🙂

Now, if only I knew how to get the same boy, now 17, to come home before 4am or at least call me to let me know he is alive around midnight, that would be great…

Trisha July 6, 2012 at 5:57 pm

May I just say – you ARE saying something relevant; you may be boring yourself but you’re definitely not boring those of us who love your blog so please, please keep writing because there are a lot of us who love reading!

Reading (and chickens) July 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I totally plan on doing that when I’m a published author. That’s…the whole point, right? (OMG, 1500 copies? That’s it? Eeep.)

Hope July 8, 2012 at 6:12 am

I’m glad that it’s just the car that had an owie!

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf July 8, 2012 at 8:28 pm

With our kids, we made a big deal about creating “sleep rules” for them – lie down, close your eyes, be very quiet, stay in bed and wake up at 6:30. The last one was specifically for my younger son who was getting up at 5am for a while. For us, this works for the most part and they are clear about the rules. But, there are also many nights that either husband or I end up camping out in the room until my youngest falls asleep. Definite work in progress!! Sorry to hear about your car but glad to hear that it was only an owie.

Kate July 10, 2012 at 4:07 pm

This post is a reminder of why I love spending time on your blog! Keep it up – you are most definitely relevant and I look forward to seeing more of you next week. 🙂

Marlena July 11, 2012 at 7:12 am

I’m so glad that they are OK!

Elizabeth July 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm

How scary–I’m glad they’re okay, and I’m glad you have official proof of Jackson’s decent memory!

My niece born the same month as Jackson has been switching from her crib to the bed–my brother in law told her that if she got out of bed before the sun shines, she’d have to sleep in the crib the next night. So far she hasn’t gotten out, so it’s working?