The Beauty of Sleep

by Ginger on April 20, 2012

in I'm a Disaster

Last night, I got the most incredible night of sleep I’ve had in a long time. I went to bed early, and I slept alllllllll night long, and when I woke up this morning my first thought was:

“oh, wow, I forgot how this feels.”

It’s been so long since I’ve woken up feeling rested that I really had forgotten what it feels like. I didn’t need toothpicks to prop my eyelids open. I didn’t struggle to stay awake and I didn’t drag myself, eyes mostly closed, to the shower. I didn’t “rest” while leaning against the shower wall. It was amazing. You mean…you mean, this is how it’s supposed to feel?

After the crazy week I’ve had, I’m not surprised I finally crashed. I had 8 appointments with various doctors, dentists, Jockey shoppers, and other folks that necessitated lots of car time, lots of down-to-the-minute scheduling and tactical planning (having one car sucks at times). The kid has been super defiant, we’ve had a lot of financial stress (eff you taxes!), and work has been insane. So it’s not a huge shocker that Thursday night, when I didn’t have anything pressing on my plate, my body and brain finally went “uh, yeah. Peace out, we’re done.”

But it is a good reminder that, hey, I should do that more often (“that” being get a decent nights sleep). I’m really bad about staying up late–I tend to stay up until 12:00-12:30 each night, even though I (should) get up at 6:30–and it usually takes me a while to fall asleep. I also have a tendency lately to wake up multiple times a night, which means, basically, that I’m not getting that great of sleep most nights. And not sleeping well just makes EVERYTHING harder: anxiety, stress, dealing with a toddler, dealing with…well, dealing with anything, really. So this is maybe a hint that, hey, I should do this more often. You should too! We’ll all sleep together! (Wait. Err…not like THAT. You know what I mean!).

So, TL;DR version: I slept. It was awesome. I should do that some more, and so should you!

How about you? Do you stay up way too late like me? Do you feel like you get enough sleep?

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf April 20, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Wow, that night of sleep sounds divine. I’ve completely forgotten what that feels like. Like you, I’ve gotten into a really bad habit of going to be late and just not sleeping well. I need to just go to bed earlier. PS I hate the tax man. He was so mean this year.

hollow tree ventures April 21, 2012 at 11:36 am

Oh I looooove that feeling! I don’t get it nearly often enough, but I remember that feeling of, “Oh, so THIS is what I’m supposed to feel like!” I’m always surprised that under the sleep-fog I’m actually a pretty patient and upbeat person. And every time it happens I think, “I should get a full night’s sleep more often,” but then Life happens and it’s another 14 months before I sleep soundly again. 🙂

clara April 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm

God, yeah. My kids get up at 6 every day so I am also up at 6 (we have no door to our bedroom you see) and to be functional I have to be asleep by 10. I am pretty good about it because I get very little down time during the day and I have learned my lesson after six years but it took a while. My husband gets up at 5:30 to get a jump on the kids (and because he leaves for work at 7) and he is a good influence. He will stand over me when I’m at my computer and say “It’s 9:30. Time for bed. Come on.”

And yeah, it TOTALLY alters the mood. I remember when my 4 y/o started sleeping through the night at 18 months and after five days of full nights of sleep I was SMILING at people. It was a relief. I had thought my personality really had been replaced by Queen Bitch, but no. Just sleep deprivation. It’s a relief, and also not because how do you have a life AND get enough sleep? *Shrug*

Jess @ Dude and Three April 22, 2012 at 5:23 pm

On Friday night none of my children woke up at all, AND the baby slept all night long. First time ever.

I got 9 consecutive hours of sleep. And the next day? I felt AWFUL. Fatigued, and foggy, and just absolutely lethargic. I think 9 years of sleep deprivation has left me old and decrepit in the sleep category. I’m like a geriatric. I only need 6 hours and then I’m done.

BAH. Kids.

kate April 22, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Sleep is one of those things that so many people forget the importance of. Without a good night’s sleep – everything else comes unhinged. Or it’s at least harder to deal with the unhinging… 🙂 So happy to hear you remember how good it feels.

As far as my sleep – let’s just not go there right now, okay? 🙂

Hope April 23, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I’m about 22 weeks pregnant, so I’m very aware of the fact that I need to keep up with my sleep while I still can. Unfortunately, my body hasn’t received that particular memo. I can’t stop waking up all night!

Classic NYer May 8, 2012 at 3:28 am

I’m typing this at six thirty am when I had no good reason to stay up this late nor have I any reason to be up early. You do the math.