You, My Friend, Are Awesome

by Ginger on April 6, 2012

in I'm a Disaster

So after I wrote my confessional about compliments, a thought stuck with me all day.

I kept coming back to this idea that, beyond having other people compliment us, it can be hard to think of ourselves in complimentary ways. That’s really the crux of what I was getting at, wasn’t it? That I don’t think of myself in complimentary ways, so it seems weird to accept compliments from others? When what I SHOULD be doing is saying:

Yeah. That’s hard.

But I wish it wasn’t. For me, and for anyone else. So I had this silly little thought, and I’ll see how many people play along with me.

I thought maybe I’d post a compliment about myself. Just one.

And then, maybe, you could post a compliment about YOURSELF.

And then maybe, we’d all see these compliments about ourselves written there in black and white for other people to see and see something happy there?

What do you think? (oh, please play along. Otherwise I’m gonna feel REALLY silly about doing this…)

I’ll start:

I’m an exceptionally respectful and patient person. Sometimes to my detriment, but I REALLY try to take that whole “treat others how you would like to be treated” thing to heart. It has served me incredibly well in my career, and in my personal life (though sometimes I think it might possibly hold me back a little in this blogging world. I don’t post a good 50% of what occurs to me because it might upset someone), and I really, REALLY hope that it’s a something I can teach Jackson.

Whew. Ok, that wasn’t so bad. Now…your turn!

Tell me one compliment about yourself. One thing you love or know you rock at or do exceptionally well at. No matter how big or small. What makes YOU awesome?

Carolyn West April 6, 2012 at 9:23 am

I wrote this post a while ago about the 5 things I do well. Dug it up, dusted it off just for you. http://thistalkaintcheap.com/5-things-i-do-well/

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Those are 5 great things! (Also, I’m jealous of your ability with color. I can’t ever imagine color very well…)

Christa the BabbyMama April 6, 2012 at 9:40 am

I get things done. I’m a consummate doer. I don’t fall behind or let things slide.

(It actually drives some people bonkers!)

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Being a doer is a badass skill! Ignore those it drives bonkers 😉

KT April 6, 2012 at 10:14 am

I’m a planner. It sometimes drives my husband nuts, but there’s something to be said about being organized….

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Man, being a planner has to make life so much easier in so many ways! I WISH I was a better planner!

Erin April 6, 2012 at 10:22 am

This … is really hard. Every time I think of something good about myself, I think I am probably the only one who thinks that and/or I am delusional. Gonna have to mull this over.

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:10 pm

It took me 15 minutes to write this post…except for the compliment, which took me 2 days to come up with. Or, to come up with something I felt confident enough to post.

I know how you feel, is what I’m saying.

Jamie April 6, 2012 at 10:37 am

I am a great dancer and I’m sharp as a tack!

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I’m jealous of BOTH of those!

Melissa April 6, 2012 at 10:40 am

First – YOU my friend (IRL), truly ARE AWESOME!!! So lucky to have you as a friend.

Now, as for your request to make a compliment about myself (so hard!)…
I am able to see situations from many different perspectives, and take all of the different variables into account when making a decision or relating with others.

Great post idea!

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Thanks friend!

And you KNOW those are awesome traits of yours, and worth complimenting!

oilandgarlic April 6, 2012 at 10:41 am

I think I have a good idea of my strengths and weaknesses, not sure why. I tend to remember compliments longer and forget insults to a certain degree. It’s not that I don’t dwell on negatives but at some point I accept my shortcomings or work to improve those that bother me.

Funny, I just wrote a post about my inability to write blog rants. Like you, “I don’t post a good 50% of what occurs to me because it might upset someone.”

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Being so self-aware is something that I hope I can get to someday. That’s something to compliment frankly 🙂

I’m fairly good at ignoring/forgetting insults (depending on what it is and who says it, to be honest). The compliments thing…well, clearly that’s what I need to work on.

And yeah…even my blog rants tend to be on stuff that most people would agree with my rant. I’m just too unwilling to upset people if I can help it.

shasta April 6, 2012 at 10:45 am

I’m incredibly efficient…when I want to be.

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:26 pm

HA!

Honestly, being efficient is an awesome trait. And being able to determine when to break out efficiency just makes you smart 😉

Alyssa April 6, 2012 at 3:24 pm

What a great post.

I’ve thought about it all day. Every time I start to think of a compliment about myself, my mind instantly tempers it with a big BUT.

After a lot of thought, I found one: I have really good common sense. No buts about it.

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:29 pm

It’s so hard to work past that BUT. I get it, trust me. It took me like 2 days to come up with something that didn’t make me think “but…”

But common sense? There’s a whole WORLD of people who are missing that one…

Sidney April 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I unite people, and help people.

trin April 6, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I just tried to like this comment. hehe ^_^

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Bad.Ass.

Seriously.

stacey ross April 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

What a cute site and creative post – but that is YOU! I am an excellent connector and love to fascilitate others with the resources they need to thrive, both personally and professionally.

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Those are some compliment worthy traits right there!

trina April 6, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Great post. Because it is incredibly difficult to compliment yourself. First I want to say that I think you are not only amazing but also an inspiration and I appreciate how understanding you are.

I would have to say that I’m great at coming up with ideas. Now to focus and take those to fruition. ^_^

Have a great weekend!

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Thank you so much Trina for your sweet words. Thank you!

And yes, you’re an idea MACHINE! And that’s such an fantastic thing, I’m totally jealous of that!

Megan April 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Im open minded, which helped a lot in high school, where all of my friends seemed to hang with goths and drama geeks and weirdos ( I was the sweet naive one). And making mommy friends is much easier when you accept many different opinions in parenting.

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Being open minded is one of those traits that you should be so proud of–it’s such a great thing, and not enough people are like that. And you’re so right, it’s so much easier to make friends (of all kinds!) when you’re open minded!

HipMamaB April 6, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Wow, this is hard. Like a job interview. If this was a job interview I would say that I kick ass at public speaking (well, not like that..HA). But I do. I can get up in front of 5 – 500 people and talk and not really think twice about it. It’s really only been recently that I realized how big of a strength that really is.

But my non-job interview answer. I think I’m fun to hang out with or be around. I’m my own party. 🙂 Some people may find my perkiness annoying, but those are not the type of people I want to be around anyway.

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Well, I can attest that both of those are true…and both of those are AWESOME. 🙂

San Diego Momma April 6, 2012 at 4:17 pm

You ARE awesome, Ginger, in more ways than one.

I am ungood at thinking good of myself, so…

This is tough.

I suppose I’d say I like that I’m real, or at least try to be.

This is a thought-provoking exercise!

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:39 pm

It’s hard! It’s so much harder to come up with your own compliment than one might think…

But I would say that being real? That’s a huge, HUGE thing. Not enough people are, and it’s something that definitely makes you special!

Jamie April 6, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Okay. First, I’m going to start with giving you a compliment Ginger: You have this great ability in writing how you’re feeling, you may hold back a bit, but you share enough to where others can relate!

Anyways, as far as a compliment for myself (I struggle with this): I am a sweet person. I feel niceness goes a long way, and it is best to try to put yourself in another shoe’s before you speak your mind fully, so that’s how I approach others in life.

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:42 pm

First: Being sweet & nice? That’s one of those things that more people should strive for. Putting yourself in other’s shoes? It’s people like you that make the world a decent place to live.

Second: Thank you so much for the compliment, particularly that it’s about my writing. You kind of hit the sweet spot of complimenting me for something I really try to accomplish (writing so others relate). So thank you!

Joann Woolley April 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I’m good at a lot of stuff… something I do exceptionally well, understand other people. It is the gift of being my mommy’s little interpreter. It is what I hope I am passing onto my children and the little signers in my classes. As Oprah said, what is common to us all is know that we matter, one great way to have someone know that they matter is to understand them, both figuratively and literally.

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:43 pm

What a great, great gift you have. Seriously. Most people in the world just want someone to understand them, and you have that knack. What an awesome thing to be so proud of!

Maribel Reyes April 6, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I am good at helping friends and family. I love and get great pleasure in being helpful, be it going out of my way to help them when they need it and also when they don’t. When they don’t being that they might mention something and I then proceed to plan how to make it happen.

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Being that helpful and taking care of friends and family is something to be hugely proud of!

Kate April 6, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Oh, this is a good post and an excellent question. You are asking me at the wrong time – with a husband working 80+ hours the last four weeks means I feel pretty much useless right now.

But, here’s my compliment – I do each holiday up right with an adequate, but not over-the-top celebration. We have dyed the eggs, hung the stained glass eggs in the windows and scheduled the hunt. I am creating the memories and making each time special.

Phew… now back to catching up on things.

Take care and YOU have a wonderful Easter with Jackson and N.C.

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Man, as someone who barely makes it through holidays, I salute you! That is not a small skillset!

hollow tree ventures April 7, 2012 at 7:59 am

Wow, this was surprisingly difficult – my self esteem isn’t particularly low, but it was tough to come up with something! And I don’t think I’m the only one; lots of the comments seem to contain a compliment followed immediately by something that downplays it (but I don’t do it often enough, it drives other people nuts, etc) – and I’m sure all these folks are wonderful people, it’s just hard to shake that feeling that you’re being obnoxious or snobbish by saying something nice about yourself! So you’ve inspired me – I’m going to work on being Confident Without A Disclaimer. Here’s my first attempt.

I write great thank you notes. They’re punctual and I put a lot of thought into letting someone know how much I appreciate whatever gift, favor, or gesture they’ve extended to me.

Now must… fight… urge… to… qualify that… with… a… “but”…

Reading (and chickens) April 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Oh! This is an amazing idea! I am…hmm…this is tough…*thinks of dumb things to say*…good at laundry? good speller? …
I am a good writer. Phew. That is TOUGH and feels like boasting, but who CARES.

clara April 7, 2012 at 5:24 pm

The more you say it the more it will roll off the tongue.

You are a good writer. And a good speller!

Classic NYer April 7, 2012 at 3:36 pm

As it so happens, I have one of the nicest asses I’ve ever seen naked.

clara April 7, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I am really very good at making up fake lyrics to existing melodies, on the fly. Also I have a pleasant singing voice. Why Weird Al is out there rolling in megabux and I am not is truly a mystery for the ages.

Your posts make me smile and nod and want to high-five my computer. The art of connecting with your audience, you haz it.

San April 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I’ve loved your recent post, Ginger. Thanks so much for your honesty and openness. I feel like we have much in common.

One thing I am good at: I am also a very patient and forgiving person. I always try to mend relationships (sometimes I even try at relationships that aren’t meant to be mended – oh well).

Gladys April 10, 2012 at 10:36 am

Complimenting ourselves can sometimes be hard to do. I think it’s partly due to some limiting messages we’ve internalized from childhood, such as “don’t toot your own horn” or “you’re being grandiose” when you say nice things about yourself. It’s taken me a long time to erase that kind of message and now I have no problem acknowledging my strengths. They are: I’m organized and focus on details, I’m a great listener, easily connect well with almost anyone, write well and have above average computer skills.

Thanks, Ginger, for reminding us to “toot our own horns” every once in a while.