Let’s Go Out to the Movies

by Ginger on March 26, 2012

in Entertain Me

This weekend, I had the pleasure of going to see The Hunger Games–on opening weekend no less.

(No spoilers here, I promise. But I will say, I loved it, despite being able to nitpick at parts if I wanted to. Which I don’t. The book is still better, as usual, but the movie wasn’t a disappointment).

I used to be a person who watched movies opening weekend all the time. Of course, I used to be a person who went to see a movie at least every couple of weeks, so you know, perspective there. Now pretty much the only movies I manage to see in the theater are things I’ve been waiting and planning to see for AGES–Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Batman…hmm, I’m seeing a pattern.

See, I firmly believe that it’s DIFFERENT to see a movie in the theater than at home. The sound is different, the visual is different, and, in general, the air is different. There’s something about being surrounded by other people who are willing to immerse themselves in the same story at the same time that changes the feeling of a movie. That’s why a lot of the movies we make the time to go see now are the ones that have a huge fan base, or that have a big cult following–because there’s something to the idea of shared experience that you just don’t get if you Netflix it at home. Plus, you’re less likely to have theater jackassery if everyone in the theater is a big time fangirl/boy of the material.

Now don’t get me wrong, we let MOST movies come to Netflix or OnDemand before we see them. For one, not every movie begs to be seen in a theater. Lots and lots of movies work better when you don’t have to deal with the noise of your neighbor crinkling their popcorn bag, or when you can feel free to watch sans pants if you so desire. Plus, movie dates are some of the most expensive ones there are, and they rarely include time to actually talk like grownups, so a movie has to be seriously babysitter worthy to make the cut. But when they are? Man, there’s just something about a good movie out at the theater. About losing yourself with an auditorium full of other people, about hearing everyone gasp or shout or cry or laugh at the same time. There’s just nothing like it really.

What about you? Do you love the movie going experience? Or would you rather watch from the comfort of your home?

Tragic Sandwich March 26, 2012 at 9:00 am

I used to love going to the movies, but too many people seem to treat the theater like it’s their living room. (Seriously, people. Stop. Texting. I can see that from way back here, and it’s distracting.) And it’s gotten expensive, even if all you buy is the movie tickets.

Add a toddler to our schedules, and the last movie we saw in the theater was True Grit.

Mama Bub March 26, 2012 at 10:22 am

We rarely go to the movies, but it feels like such a TREAT now. We went to the movies all the time when I was growing up, and I’m really looking forward to getting to a place where we can all go together as a family, but for now I can count the number of movies on one hand that I see in a theater each year.

Life As Wife March 26, 2012 at 11:02 am

Hubby and I used to go to a movie every weekend before little man came along. I miss it! I completely agree though some movies you just need the total theater experience with!

Classic NYer March 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm

You’re right, the experience is different. But I have to say that I prefer the comfort of my own familiar surroundings, the ability to eat my own home cooking with some wine or some liquor rather than paying exorbitant amounts for over-buttery popcorn and coca cola, the ability to pause the movie if I have to go to the bathroom (and not have to stand on a line of fifty other women)…

Ginger April 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Ooh, the pausing to go to the bathroom part is ALWAYS a win for being at home. I ALWAYS have to go to the bathroom during the movie.

Reading (and chickens) March 27, 2012 at 9:45 am

These are my feelings exactly. I went and saw HG on opening night! I haven’t done that in YEARS. But, I do love going to the theater. It’s my relaxing “thing.” I know other women like pedicures or bookstores or shopping or coffee, but mine is a movie. It almost ALWAYS perks me up when I’m down (assuming the movie wasn’t absolutely terrible).

Kate March 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm

We used to be more of the movie-going people… but it’s gotten so expensive, especially when you add in childcare for two (!!) little ones. So, the movie better be good and worth the “experience” to drag my butt there. And, nowadays, I seem to fall asleep during most movies – so it better hold my attention, too! 🙂

Hope March 27, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I love going to the movies, but I have no free time and we’re saving up all of our pennies for my unpaid maternity leave this fall. So, we don’t go that often. It pretty much has to be a movie that one of us *really* wants to see.

We’re going to see the Hunger Games this Friday. :p

Christa the BabbyMama March 28, 2012 at 10:26 am

We don’t have many opportunities to go to the movies, and when we do, it’s usually the little local theater. I enjoy the moviegoing experience, but it is just too darn expensive around here!

Elizabeth April 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I have to wait for movies to come on in caption, which usually means waiting for them at home. That said, The Hunger Games was something I HAD to watch, so I waited patiently for it to be in caption at the theater, and we went for my birthday weekend. It was a perfect outing!