The Book Addict Returns

by Ginger on February 16, 2012

in Downtime

This past Saturday, at around 11pm, I started Game of Thrones.

In retrospect, that may have been a mistake.

Actually, it wasn’t just Game of Thrones. It was an ebook from my library of the first four books in the series. Which means I have 21 days to read all 3500 pages of the four books–my library doesn’t allow renewals of ebooks, and if I have to go to the back of the line for any of the books in the series, I’ll be somewhere around person 89 in line. So, yeah, it’s read them all, or don’t finish the series anytime soon. Which we just can’t have–once you start a series, you must read every book available in that series. Duh.

In a life B.K. (before kid, of course), that wouldn’t have been a problem at all–I’ve always been a really fast reader and can immerse myself in a book for hours given the chance. But A.K., reading is harder. I find it comes in fits and spurts, and with everything else going on in my life, I rarely have/find/make the time to sit down for hours and hours and read.

But these books have me spellbound, and I don’t want to do ANYTHING but read them. I am ADDICTED to them, in a way I probably haven’t been since the Harry Potter books. Even the Hunger Games books, which I adored didn’t have me THIS addicted (maybe because they were so much shorter?). I have stayed up until 1, 2, 3 every night this week but one to read. I’ve read on my lunch break. I’ve read instead of blogging, or reading blogs, or watching tv, or cleaning the house, or doing ANYTHING besides taking care of my kid (and my job, duh. But don’t think I haven’t been tempted). I’m 1300 pages into my 3500 pages, and I can’t wait to get to the next page.

And despite the fact that I’m exhausted and my to-do list is piling up, I’ll be honest, it feels amazing. I’ve missed this level of involvement in a book. I’ve been reading more the past year or so, and reading really good books too, but this addiction is something I haven’t felt in a really long time. And I’ve missed it. It’s like coming back home after a long vacation away.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, a book is calling to me.

Ashley February 17, 2012 at 6:44 am

Oh gosh, I might have to get these!

I was the same way with the Harry Potter books, the Hunger Games, and Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series.

I love reading!

KT February 17, 2012 at 8:07 am

Have you seen the show on HBO? The show is amazing!! I’m actually glad that I saw the show before starting to read Book #1 because I have been able to figure out all of the characters (b/c there are A LOT of characters).

I’m a very fast reader, but I think that the descriptions and his writing makes me slow down. I’m not loving the books (certainly not as much as the Hunger Games), but my husband is really enjoying them (he is on #2).

Good luck finishing in time!!

Ginger February 22, 2012 at 10:33 am

I haven’t seen the show (we don’t have HBO), but I know it’s coming out soon and I’m dying to see it now. You’re right, there are a ZILLION characters (and it gets worse in books #2 & #3, omg with all the damn sers), the show would probably help that a ton!

Tragic Sandwich February 17, 2012 at 9:17 am

I loved the show on HBO, and found that the first book didn’t grab me as much as I had hoped. (Apparently HBO did a VERY faithful adaptation!) But Mr. Sandwich bought me books 1-4 for Christmas, and the sequels definitely hooked me. I’m now working on A Dance With Dragons (birthday present).

Ginger February 22, 2012 at 10:35 am

I think since I hadn’t seen the show, the first book was easier to get into (I didn’t have anything to compare it to). I’m on book 3 now, and I’m astounded that the series has (mostly) kept my interest the entire time!

Jocelyn | ScooterMarie February 17, 2012 at 10:08 am

Nice – I love a good series! I read the whole Hunger Games trilogy in just under 2 weeks over Christmas because I’d borrowed them from a friend on my Kindle, and, like your ebooks, they expired. I’m not familiar with the Game of Thrones series, though. I just started the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo set (i know, way behind the times), so I might have to check out Thrones when I’m done with these.

Ginger February 22, 2012 at 10:38 am

Hunger Games I *blew* through. In, like, a weekend (I swear I fed the kid while I was reading 😉 lol). These are much slower because they’re so big–and they’re definitely genre books (oh with the kings and knights and queens and political maneuvering), but they’ve really captivated me.

Oh, and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the next book on my library check out list. I’m behind the times myself 😉

Anne February 17, 2012 at 10:09 am

I’ve resisted The Hunger Games and Game of Thrones for that very reason – I feel like I don’t have time to get sucked into an amazing series. I’m caught up on all of the series that I read, and unless Janet Evanovich could just write faster please, I don’t have any new books that I just want to devour in one sitting. But I kind of miss it – staying up late to finish “just one more chapter”, looking up and realizing that four hours have gone by like fifteen minutes, getting to know new characters and new worlds. Maybe this weekend I’ll abandon housework and working on holidays to devour a few new books…

Ginger February 22, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hunger Games I read in, like, one or two weekends. It’s really an amazing series (the first book in particular), and not that long. I’d hold off on Game of Thrones until you really want…heft. (she says 2000 pages in…oy).

Cherie Beyond February 17, 2012 at 11:34 am

Oh my goodness, I have such a love-hate relationship with these books. I made it through book 2 and then had to stop–despite adoring the writing, plotting, characters, etc–because they (and this is stupid, I know) made me despair. Just DESPAIR. Nothing good ever happens. Ever. EVER. I couldn’t take it.

But, I am still, almost a year later, dying to know about and deeply invested in these characters. So I may go pick up book 3 and try again.

Maybe.

(Seriously, EVER.)

Ginger February 22, 2012 at 10:42 am

NOTHING GOOD EVER HAPPENS. OMG. I’m on book 3, and…yeah, wow. But I think that’s honestly part of why I keep reading so much! I’ll finish reading some godawful event and then think, “well, I *have* to find how they avenge that/read something less devastating.” But oh, some of these characters. I just have to know what happens to them. I just HAVE TO.

Erin February 17, 2012 at 11:34 am

Did you see the show? I just ask because I’m curious if you already know the plot/how Book 1 ends. Those books sucked me in, too, but they are LONG. Book 4 was rough; good luck with that one. 🙂 Really curious to see if you can do it in 21 days!

Ginger February 22, 2012 at 10:44 am

Haven’t seen the show, but I knew ONE major plot point (but not who it happened to. Damn internet spoilers) before I finished. It still got me when I read it though.

I’m in the middle of book 3 right now, so I’m on track to be able to do it. But we’ll see…

Jennifer February 17, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I was super addicted during and after the first one, but when I finished the second I needed a break.

Ginger February 22, 2012 at 10:45 am

The second was…rougher than the first, for sure. Book 3 has picked back up (for me), so I’m getting back in the swing. Mostly, I want to know what happens to about 3 characters in particular, so that keeps me going!

Sela Toki February 17, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Definitely will check those books out. Haven’t immerse myself in deep reading for a while now and I’ve missed it. Like you, when I’m spellbound by a book, I’m deprived of sleep and my children hates it because I’m a goner to them. Can’t hear anything they say. They just don’t exist. I’m in my own little world with my book.

Ginger February 22, 2012 at 10:47 am

They’re definitely genre books, but MAN are the characters easy to get caught up with. I would GLADLY just read these books all day if I didn’t, you know, have a job and a kid and a husband 😉

ARC February 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Wow, that is a lot of pages in a very short time! Good luck 🙂

GoT and HG are both on my list, but I’m just not mentally prepared to start reading them yet. I think I’ll wait until our upcoming vacation (with 10 hour plane rides each way). Though who am I kidding, with a 2.5 year old, I doubt I’ll have much reading time on the plane…

Ginger February 22, 2012 at 10:50 am

It is a lot. I’m about 2000 pages into the 3500, so I *think* I’ll be able to do it (it’s kind of a personal challenge too, I’m GOING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN).

GoT is a lot more challenging of a read than HG. I adored HG, but it is YA fiction so it’s a little bit easier of a read. Plus GoT has a lot of the lineage of kings and who begat who kind of stuff to plow through. I’d definitely recommend HG for vacation over GoT.

Susan in the Boonies February 19, 2012 at 7:15 am

Pretty exciting little review! You’re tempting me!