How Twitter Fought My Funk

by Ginger on February 8, 2012

in Blogging & Social Media, I'm a Disaster

Yesterday, I was in a bigger funk than I’ve felt in a while. There’s a lot that combined to get me there, but I was pretty much at a “what am I doing with my life” spiral of doom. I was on the edge of tears almost all day, and just felt very…lost.

But this isn’t a sad tale. Instead, it’s a tale of why social media has come to mean so much to me.

After Jackson went down to bed, I hoped online as I usually do. My original goal was to do a little bit of work, then go either read a book or watch a movie that would make me cry before going to bed. There may have been some cookies and wallowing involved too. But of course, Twitter was there while I was working. I put a whiny little tweet up about how funky I was feeling (what, you DON’T share every thought in your head on Twitter?), and went on about my work.

And here’s where the story picks up.

Within minutes, I had people commiserating with me. I had people dm’ing me to ask if I wanted to talk it out. I had people sending me links to things that might lift my spirits. Within about two hours, I had a new perspective and the beginnings of a happier heart, thanks to the people inside the glowy box.

This isn’t the first time that social media has come to my aid. I’ve had people all over the world reach out to help me with first aid, meal planning, kid sleep issues, nursing dilemmas, pumping questions, work needs, vacation planning, and blog advice–along with my favorites of just talking to me, keeping me company and being my friends.

Whenever someone scoffs that social media is just a waste of time, I have to roll my eyes. Because this? This support and companionship and help? Well, I wouldn’t call that a waste of time. You get out of it what you put into it, and for people who don’t see this…well, they’ll never have a group of people from around the world lifting their spirits at 10pm on a Tuesday, all thanks to social media.

Me though? I’ll continue to love the connections that social media brings me. It all—YOU ALL—have made such a positive difference in my life, that I’ll always be grateful.

Related Posts with ThumbnailsNo tags for this post.

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

craftyb February 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

I swear Twitter keeps me smiling 😉

Lisa February 8, 2012 at 11:27 am

And there was that time you and Twitter kept my family safe in a tornado 🙂

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks February 8, 2012 at 11:32 am

I think it’s fabulous that you were able to vent and find the support you needed to lift you out of your funk.

But, I kinda wish social media junkies and social media haters (and everyone in-between) could all just get along. I get that it’s a great outlet for some. I also get why others hate it. We all just need to find the right balance for ourselves and be happy that others have found theirs.

Ginger February 8, 2012 at 11:36 am

For me, if someone doesn’t PERSONALLY like social media (and, for the record, I include blogs in social media. Rightly or wrongly), that’s fine. It’s when they tell those of us who do that it’s a waste of time that I find problems. I TOTALLY get why people don’t like it for themselves (time, attention, something else to keep on top of, etc.), but to tell the rest of us we’re wasting our time–well, I have experiences that prove FOR ME, that it’s not a waste.

Reading (and chickens) February 8, 2012 at 11:32 am

I feel the same exact way.

Craftwhack February 8, 2012 at 11:46 am

I agree. I was so late to the Twitter thing, because I assumed it would waste my life away. And I’ve found that it’s really a surprisingly wonderful way to keep in tough with people, meet new people and learn things. Huh.

Jocelyn | ScooterMarie February 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Yay! Glad to hear you’re feeling better! I hate those bad spiral days.

Gia February 8, 2012 at 6:07 pm

agree! agree! agree!

Social media is a far powerful tool that the naysayers realize. What started as the perfect news resource for me has grown into SO much more. love it.

Jamie February 8, 2012 at 7:08 pm

It’s a pretty neat world out there, and because of it, I’m just beginning to meet some pretty amazing people.

Glad your spirits were lifted, and hopefully today’s been a better day!

Justine February 8, 2012 at 7:45 pm

So funny … I was going to post about social media next, and feeling overwhelmed by it all … maybe I’m just following too many of the wrong people? 🙂 Thanks for the smile!

Devon Riesenberg February 8, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’ve heard a lot of people say this about twitter, especially moms. It’s so nice to be supported, any way you can get it sometimes! Virtual friends, old friends, new friends, etc.

Cheers!

Susan in the Boonies February 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm

That’s lovely! I think Facebook is more where my support group is, but it’s a reality for me that I have received a tremendous amount of support, that has turned into in real life friendship. So, I know whereof you speak!

Maribel Reyes February 8, 2012 at 9:53 pm

This post struck a chord with me, because I have friends who have admitted that if it weren’t for Facebook they’d be a couple thousand dollars short from doing therapy with a shrink! seriously social media is not a waste of time. It provides information and also emotional support. I am a stay at home mom to 2 kids, I adore yet if it weren’t for social media I’d probably be in a bad mood because I would feel left out of the loop of the real world. I’m glad you are happier, you have a purpose and you are doing great at it. I’ve read your posts and have enjoyed all of them! 🙂

MommieDaze February 9, 2012 at 8:20 am

Yep. That’s the beauty of social media and mom-o-sphere. It’s the new backyard fence. I love how it lets us make connections near and far.

jenny February 9, 2012 at 11:27 am

oooh! i love this! you + i have never met and probably never will meet in person, but even though i wasn’t tweeting on tuesday, i’m in that glowy box. i have you in my glowy box. i love the glowy box filled with people that help fill in the real life cracks in life. i think we’ve been in biggest blogging loser challenges together? it doesn’t matter though. i have you in my reader and on my twitter and sometimes when you just need a little something extra … it’s the people in the glowy box that are always there. one, two, ten or even a hundred of them.

thanks for sharing this. some people around me are the same and don’t understand all the social media love. but it really does give you what you put into it. glowy box love. aaaaah, yeah.

Missy | The Literal Mom February 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm

This – is exactly why I too love social media so much. Glad Twitter helped. 🙂

Rachael February 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm

This is why I will never concede to anyone who says the internet is not 1. awesome 2. useful and 3. seriously amazing.