How to View Blogs (and even comment!) Directly in Google Reader

by Ginger on February 6, 2012

in Blogging & Social Media

Oh, Google Reader. My true (blogging) love.

Back when I first started reading blogs, 8 years ago or so, I never used a reader. For one, I didn’t know what RSS really was, or what a reader was. But once I figured it out, I still wasn’t a believer.

“I like to SEE the blogs! The design is half of the fun for me! You really get a sense of the personality of a blog by being ON the blog!”

But as time went on, my list of “must-read” blogs got longer, and longer, and longer. I’ve never been great at organizing, so I’d forget to add one to my bookmarks and then months later wonder why I hadn’t read anything from such-and-such blogger lately. I would run into corporate filters that made some blogs completely inaccessible at work. I was leaving a lot of great blogs, blogs I loved, behind.

Finally, one day, I caved in to RSS and the reader, and a love affair was born. Now, I have anywhere from 150-300 sites I follow, and anywhere from 200-500 posts (depending on how many times in one day some of them post) in my reader at a given time. Some of them are for work, some are for personal, some are for fun, but they all feed into my reader. The ONLY way for me to remotely consider having so many blogs I visit is through a reader.

But that doesn’t mean the system is perfect. Bloggers still can choose to have partial feeds (my nemesis!). And of course, if I want to comment, I have to leave the safety of my reader and traverse the wilds of the actual internet. My downfall is leaving Reader…once I leave, who KNOWS when I’ll be back!

Well, if you’re like me and you LOVE your reader, but you also want to be able to see partial feeds, or leave comments, well, I’ve got a couple of awesome little tips for you. I learned about the first one from a handful of different people in a great “partial feeds are my nemesis!” wave a while back, and have recently found the second and third as other options. I hope you find them as helpful as I have.

A few simple clicks and you’ll be on your way to viewing blogs RIGHT IN Google Reader–and yes, you can even comment!

How to Read in Google Reader For Firefox Users

So you use Firefox as your browser? Great! Two simple little downloads and you’ll be on your way.

1. Add the Greasemonkey plugin to Firefox. (You’ll need to restart Firefox when you’re done).
  2. Install the Google Reader Preview Enhanced  v1.2 script.
  3. When you go into Google Reader next time, you’ll see a little “Preview” button down at the bottom.Showing where the preview button is after installing Google Reader Preview Enhanced v1.2
  4. If you click on either that preview button OR the title of the blog post, the blog itself will load directly in Reader:Showing how a blog shows up in Google Reader after using Google Reader Preview

Voilà!

How to Read in Google Reader For Chrome Users

For Chrome users, it’s even simpler!

1. Install the Super Full Feeds for Google Reader
  2. When you go into Reader, you’ll see each post shows up with three tabs at the top:Showing where to find the links tab on Super Full Feeds for Google Reader
  3. Click on Links, and you’ll be taken to the blog, again, right within Reader.What a blog looks like in Super Full Fees for Google Reader

And voilà, you’re on your way to visiting all your favorite blogs, right within Google Reader! Although, this still won’t help with web filters or autoplay music. Sorry about that.

As a bonus, I thought I’d through this little guy in:

The Google Reader “Next” bookmarklet.

This one comes straight from Google themselves! Hidden away under the Goodies tab under Reader Settings, you’ll find the “next” bookmarklet.

Drag the little button to your toolbar, and it will allow you to go through each of the posts waiting in your Reader in order, directly on the website. Think of it kind of like StumbleUpon for your Reader. I personally don’t love this one on a normal day, because I tend to read in certain orders depending on how I’m feeling, but if you just want to go in and make sure you’re visiting everyone, this might be a great help!

Pin It

Jennifer February 6, 2012 at 7:53 am

The next button is the best thing ever in the whole entire world. I love it so much.

Lisa February 6, 2012 at 8:11 am

Sweet! I’m going to give the next button thing a try.

Rachael February 6, 2012 at 8:21 am

Thank you for sharing this! I use the next bookmarklet, but the thing I don’t like about it is if I want to keep something unread, I have to go back to my reader, find the feed, make “all posts” visible, and mark unread. I had the Greasemonkey one installed at one point, but now I’m using Chrome and their tab is SO much easier to use – I’m using it RIGHT NOW!

Anjie February 6, 2012 at 8:34 am

Very cool! I’m using it right now! Thanks!

Ashley February 6, 2012 at 8:40 am

BEST TIP EVER.

I adore Google Reader, but have to frequently remind myself to open the actual blog to go and leave a comment. Do you know if using Reader this way counts as a “page view” for the blogger?

Ginger February 6, 2012 at 10:40 am

I can’t find any definitive answer about this, but my gut says yes it does–it basically is opening the website within reader, so I think that would count as a view.

But I’m NOT a techie, so I’m just guessing.

Anna February 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

Such great tips. Sounds like I’m going to dust off the old Google Reader and give it another try. Thanks!

(Totally pinned this!)

Rach (DonutsMama) February 6, 2012 at 12:45 pm

OH thank you for this tip! I’m having such a hard time keeping up with commenting lately and this might save some time!

Jocelyn | ScooterMarie February 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

What?? You just TOTALLY made my day with this! I had no idea you could add that feature, and I, too, love actually seeing everyone’s blogs when I read them. Too bad that rarely happens anymore with such a huge reader list. Thank you – this is perfect!

emily @ the happy home February 6, 2012 at 4:16 pm

aaaah! best thing ever!! you are awesome.

Christa the BabbyMama February 7, 2012 at 7:06 am

Thanks for this! I need to get back to using Google Reader since it would be way easier (and less conspicuous at work) than opening up 15 tabs with blogs!

Ginger February 8, 2012 at 11:41 am

SO much less conspicuous at work!

Armi Niemi February 7, 2012 at 10:00 am

Thanks for sharing this tip. I did it in practise. Very useful ! – I pinned this post and shared it in facebook 🙂 Nice!

Kim February 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm

This is awesome, thank you! I had no idea you could potentially comment without leaving Reader. Hooray!

Christina @ The Frugal Homemaker February 7, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Thanks so much for the tip! LOVE that you can comment directly in reader! Now if we could only pin from that view too – wouldn’t let me 🙁

Ginger February 8, 2012 at 11:43 am

That is one bummer, for sure. I think it has something to do with the coding from the pin button not being compatible with the way that Reader is coded, but THAT would be a killer plugin to add!

Natalie February 8, 2012 at 4:49 am

What a great how-to. I’m tempted to install greasemonkey, since there is one for Linux (that’s a good thing – usually only tempted by beer and crappy infomercials).

Bliss March 5, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I haven’t figured it yet how to use a reader, all the blogs I read come via email and I am pretty sure that is not the most efficient way. Great tips in this post.

Bliss