Look to the Sky and Exhale

by Ginger on January 27, 2012

in Day in the Life, Taking Pictures

It’s Friday, and here in San Diego the sun is shining, the sky is a brilliant blue, and the trees are blooming.

White blossoms on a tree against the sky

I’m reminded how lucky I am to have landed in this little corner of the world, a place where my daily quota for sunshine is almost always met, where I see the ocean every day on my commute, and where, if I’m honest, it pains me to think of ever leaving. We may someday–the cost may be too high, the distances from family too great, the opportunities too limited–but for now, I look up into the blue and am glad to be home.

julie January 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for making me stop and think. I too am grateful to be in my little world, although I don’t have blossoms yet, I do have plenty of sunshine and gorgeous red rocks. I live in St. George, Utah, just about 7 hours north of you.

michelle @ this little light January 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Holy smokes! A place can look like that in February!? It sure is pretty, but I guess I’m a New England girl through and through … I could never leave. Thank you for reminding me what the Boston area will look like … in April!

Ginger January 31, 2012 at 10:25 pm

It’s pretty amazing, actually! I did three years in New York, and while I think that the east coast is awesome in a lot of ways..well, winter’s just not for me!

Deanna @ Little Green Bow January 27, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I feel the very same way about Boulder, CO! My hubby and I have lived in quite a few different locations around the US and when we landed here last May I suddenly felt like I was home. Glad you found your piece of paradise in San Diego!

Tragic Sandwich January 27, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I feel that way about our home! It’s easy to mock the San Fernando Valley, but I truly love living there (http://tragicsandwich.com/2011/10/05/making-a-home/).

Classic NYer January 28, 2012 at 4:03 pm

It is beautiful, isn’t it? It amazes me, though, that anyone could ever complain about the weather in San Diego… which they did quite a bit while I was there on vacation. I was like “have you ever been anywhere,” haha?

Ginger January 31, 2012 at 10:28 pm

It’s amazing how fast you start complaining about the weather. Before we lived here, we lived in NY, and before that we lived in Arizona. So the first year when people would complain about heat OR cold, we’d just roll our eyes.

Now, 4 years later, I complain when it’s over 85 or below 65. I’m sort of ashamed of myself, but I still do 😉

Cloud January 28, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I tried leaving once… it didn’t stick! San Diego is a pretty great place to live.

@Classic NYer- once you’ve lived here for a few years, you start to assume that it is your God-given right to have the temperature be between 68 and 76 degrees, with sunny skies (except in May and June, when we expect May Gray and June Gloom, respectively). So people complain about temperatures that are not bad at all, and don’t get us started on the rain… But I know what you mean. I first moved here after going to college in Chicago, and growing up outside Phoenix. I drove a car over from Phoenix in July. I remember standing in line at the DMV, and the guy behind me trying to make small talk by complaining about how hot it was. I thought he was nuts- it was 82 degrees, which is what we used to set our air conditioning to in Phoenix!

Craftwhack January 29, 2012 at 11:04 am

Oh I love San Diego. You are extremely lucky to be there. Don’t leave!

Leah January 29, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I see pictures like that and am grateful I too live in America’s Finest City!

KT January 30, 2012 at 5:46 am

What a fantastic picture! I have only been to San Diego once- and I loved it! I could totally see why someone would love living there. I contemplated going out there for law school but then realized that I wouldn’t ever get any work done!!

Ginger January 31, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I don’t know how any actual learning happens at the colleges here. I really don’t!

Barb - The Empty Nest Mom January 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Ahhh – we’ve been hanging out in Carlsbad and Los Angeles lately – what a great escape from Colorado for the time being. You ARE indeed fortunate.