13 Digital Habits of an Internet Junkie

by Ginger on January 9, 2012

in Blogging & Social Media

I think we’ve all got our digital habits–those things you ALWAYS do, or NEVER do, or the order you do them? Who knows why, but there it is. I was realizing this the other day when I saw that some people are CLEARLY not doing the same things I am, and that made me wonder–what are YOUR digital habits? Here are some of mine:

1. I never retweet an article or blog post or link without reading it completely.
  2. I pretty much only favorite tweets if they’re an article or link I want to look at later when I have more time.
  3. 95% of the time, I only pin something after I’ve clicked through to verify it actually goes to the right–direct–link.
  4. I mostly only pin retail items if they’re in my budget. Sorry Kate Spade.
  5. I usually only pin recipes after I’ve clicked through to make sure they’re not overly complicated/filled with exotic & expensive items/don’t take a million years.
  6. If a blog post really has me thinking, I wait until I’ve had time to really mull it over and take time with my response to comment on it. Sometimes, that means I wait a few days or a week, sometimes a few minutes or hours, but I’ll rarely be the first comment out of the gate.
  7. I have to REALLY like something to like it on Facebook. Which means I will almost never like something for a contest entry.
  8. I almost never unfollow someone on Twitter, unless they start overwhelming my stream. If your avatar is the only one I see in a 2 minute period,you’re probably annoying me enough to drop you.
  9. That said, I’m really bad about keeping up with new follows–I get to them eventually, but it may take me a few weeks. (And no, I’m not that popular, it’s just bad digital management).
  10. I play fast and loose with likes on Instagram.
  11. I go through waves (usually associated w/how busy or not my life is) where I respond to almost NO comments on my blog and waves where I am DILIGENT about responding to EVERY comment.
  12. I have a real problem with answering emails in a timely manner, unless they’re urgent. Related, I have a real problem with my inbox.
  13. I mostly read blogs on my phone or on my work computer during my lunch (or other mental) breaks–so if a blog doesn’t have a full feed or has anything that my work filters might find objectionable, there’s a really good chance I won’t read it.

Those are just a few of my digital habits–how about you? What are your must/never/always do in the digital world?

Erin January 9, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I operate similarly. Someone has to be a real douchecanoe for me to stop following via Twitter, and then I always check to see if they’re following me first. I live in mortal fear that someone who follows me will discover that I’ve unfollowed them. I’m pretty conscientious when it comes to pinning, making sure the pin goes to the right URL, and I never post recipes in the pin. I rarely say anything controversial on Facebook, but often do so on Twitter. I have a roll of about 40 blogs I read faithfully (yours included). If they update, I read them, but I often don’t comment. It’s my fatal flaw.

Ginger January 10, 2012 at 10:45 pm

The first time I unfollowed someone on Twitter, I swear my adrenaline didn’t stop for 10 minutes from being so afraid that I was going to make the whole internet mad…

Elizabeth January 9, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I always find myself reaching a certain threshold before I unfollow–it starts as an itch, then finally my eyes are so pained by their tweets that I have no choice but to let them go. That’s only happened five times, maybe. I’ll also unfollow and block someone if I suspect that they may be batty in real life. I know a lot of crazy people in real life, so my crazy radar is probably way too easily triggered, but it makes me feel somewhat safer.

Ginger January 10, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Feeling safe and comfortable is DEFINITELY worth unfollowing/blocking!

Trina January 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I have one rule for Twitter, I add anyone that has a conversation on twitter. I like people that actually have something to say and interact with their audience. I don’t need Twitter to be my rss feed.

I’m trying to improve my blog reading, but it’s tough at times to keep up. And I’m horrible at pinning things that I a) can’t afford or b) wouldn’t buy if I could cause I would feel too guilty.

Ginger January 10, 2012 at 10:51 pm

That’s pretty much my Twitter rule now too. In the beginning, I would add just about anyone, and I’ve learned that I really don’t want to follow Twitter accounts that are just links, or just contests, or just quotes. I want conversation!

Theresa January 10, 2012 at 9:47 am

Ginger you my dear are why more disciplined than I am! Most of my Pins are from direct sites, I normally only like another pin rather than re-pinning it. Most of the items i pin I either end up purchasing (ask my poor husband) or I’m thinking of purchasing. I do have a few luxury items just for fun and i also use Pinterest for my fashion posts. I don’t like most contest on Facebook, but if you’re a friend and you’ve asked for a favor I tend to help.

Whew! Great article!

Ginger January 10, 2012 at 10:53 pm

See, and I need to be better about pinning direct from the site instead of just repinning. But I’m LAZY and often find myself using pinterest as a sort of visual mental break, so it’s easiest to just go on and scroll! HA!

Mama Durso January 10, 2012 at 10:21 am

I NEVER write a comment/email/blog post/status update with my phone. Maybe that will change, but for now, I’ve seen so many auto-incorrects (ha ha) that I can’t handle doing it myself. But since I never answer anything on my phone and always wait until I get to my computer to type out a response, I usually forget about said email/blog post/status update and never write anything back. Oops.

Ginger January 10, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Mark as unread gets a LOT of use on my phone for that exact reason. I think I’ve probably only commented on maybe 3 blogs in the 2.5 years I’ve had a smart phone…I just make too many typos!

Dariela January 10, 2012 at 11:04 am

My most favorite thing to do is read the blogs in my phone! On the computer I feel bad cause it seems to be taking time out of my work but on the phone I feel like I’m reading a book 🙂
BTW, which App of the Reader is that on your photo? I had a Droid before and it looked like that but on the iPhone now I just have GWhizz with the reader which I don’t like too much!

Ginger January 10, 2012 at 11:01 pm

It’s actually not an app–it’s a shortcut icon from Google Reader from Safari. I just learned this trick like a week ago. If you’re on a webpage on the iPhone, you can hit the little share arrow (the one in the middle), and “add to home screen.” It creates a little icon/shortcut directly to that site. But it does just open up the webpage instead of in an app.

sizzle January 10, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I rarely read blogs on my phone because I like to comment on most of the personal blogs I read and I kinda hate typing on my iPhone (still). I usually favorite tweets that make me laugh but a small percentage are articles or videos I want to watch later. I go through pinterest phases. Today I pinned a lot of things and then there are weeks where I don’t pin a thing. I check instagram too much and will unfollow someone who over-posts photos. If I see 6 in a row from them? TOO MUCH. I rarely unfollow people on Twitter but I will mute the hell out of them (I use Brizzly).

Ginger January 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I may need to check Brizzly out, because that sounds like an awesome feature!

And I definitely go through waves with Pinterest. It’s one of my “mindless” internet spaces, which also means it’s one of the first to go when I’m busy with real life stuff!

Gina January 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I 100% agree w/ number 7, I am the say way. I think I only have 3 likes.

Also, some people do not have their blog set up properly and I cannot even read it on my phone, that is slightly annoying.

Ginger January 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I actually have been chastised at work because I won’t like our company pages. And I’m the one who has to answer for our company pages! But nope, I’ve always said no!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks January 11, 2012 at 8:35 am

If I’m honest, I’ll tell you that I limit my social media/online presence. I have a blog, to which I try to respond to most comments. And I have a personal Facebook account. That’s it. I have no interest in Twitter (despite knowing one of the founders), Pinterest, Instagram or anything else at this point in my life. Too much to keep track of – I think I’d forget to live life if I spent that much of it online! =)

Classic NYer January 23, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I’m so number eleven… and then I feel bad about all the comments I didn’t respond to, while feeling embarrassed about responding to them weeks late.