The Way My Family Appears in My Head

by Ginger on January 4, 2012

in Family

I have been waiting, and waiting, and WAITING to share this post with you! (Calm down, I’m not pregnant).

One of the things I’ve wanted to do for a while now is to take some real, honest to goodness family photos. We never have pics with all three of us in them. We rarely have pics where more than one of us at a time looks halfway decent. And I wanted photos that captured Jackson in all his curly-haired, grayish-hazel eyed, toddler glory before those things were lost (I’ll still be forever sad that we never got a great picture of his eyes when they were the startling gray blue that so mesmerized me for over a year).

So when a local photographer (Fawn of Sequins and Candy whose work I ADORE) opened up some slots for holiday mini-sessions, I convinced N.C. that now was the time. And by now, I mean November. And by convinced, I mean bugged him, promised they’d be the bulk of our Christmas gifts to family, and swore up and down we’d be getting something that a friend with a camera couldn’t “just do” for us.

When the day of the photo shoot came, I was a wreck. We had a crazy frustrating day. Nothing seemed to be going right that day. I was super stressed. We were running late (like, dressing Jackson in the stroller waiting for cars to pass as we ran to the beach meeting spot kind of late). And then, when we got there, it was windy and cold, and Jackson…oh, Jackson was a PILL. He wanted nothing to do with anything  other than running in the ocean. For once, he wasn’t being friendly with a new person. He was throwing sand and fits, and nothing seemed to make him want to cooperate. Fawn worked away the whole time, but I remember thinking at one point, “As long as we get ONE semi-ok one, I’ll be happy. Please just let there be ONE.”

Well, lemme just say, Fawn must be a magician. And now that the Christmas gifts to family have been received, I can share the rabbit(s) she was able to pull out of the hat. Because I’m still not entirely sure where THIS family came from in THAT photo shoot:

To say that the pics captured what I’d hoped to capture is not saying enough.

If anything, they made me want WAY more than just 30 minutes with Fawn.

Because these look how my family feels and looks in my head.

(all photos courtesy of Sequins and Candy Photography, who I highly recommend for anyone in the area!)

Cherie Beyond January 4, 2012 at 8:33 am

Oh my goodness. Love love LOVE. Not only because you all look fabulous, which you do, but because everyone’s personalities come right through in every picture. That busy, funny, full-speed-ahead boy that you describe in your posts? That’s what I see here.

These are really, really wonderful. Hey, Fawn, want to come to Maine?

Erin January 4, 2012 at 9:39 am

Those are gorgeous! I love every one of them. And we’ve done family photos many times and the kids (and I) always act like lunatics that day. I’m sure they pick up on my stress about the whole thing!

Jett January 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

They are all great, but that last one just kills me DEAD.
The romance of motherhood, I swear. Everything about that picture personifies it.

Elizabeth January 4, 2012 at 9:45 am

Oh, these are so sweet! I adore the second one of you and Jackson–you can just see the love radiating.

Maribel R. January 4, 2012 at 9:53 am

Those are amazing pictures! You have a beautiful family and I can see through them how happy you are and how much fun your family has. I must do family pictures this year. Last time we had some done was in 2010 🙁

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks January 4, 2012 at 11:33 am

You know you’ve found a good photographer when you can look at the results and feel they fairly represent you. Even on a bad day, your family is so handsome, Ginger. I love these photos, especially the second one where you’re comforting Jackson. It kinda brought tears to my eyes – because there’s something so very special when a mother (or father, for that matter) comforts her child.

KT January 4, 2012 at 11:33 am

Great photos! It looks like you guys had a great time (despite being late, stressed, and dealing with an uncooperative kid)!

Sara Tate January 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Ginger, those are truly gorgeous family photos! LOVE them!

shasta January 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm

These pictures are so great! And I know what you mean about the pictures in your head not matching up with the pictures on your camera. =P

Jen January 4, 2012 at 1:08 pm

The one of you and Jackson kissing is making me teary, it’s so stinkin’ sweet. Love, love, love all of these photos. Hurrah! 🙂

BabyBumpBeyond Heather January 4, 2012 at 1:22 pm

The ones with the pier in the background are my favorite!! Great shots [as always] Fawn!

Trina January 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm

awww the pictures are beautiful!!!

Surferwife January 4, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Holy Smokes, those pictures are gorg. Fawn is so incredibly talented. Which reminds me, I need to give her a call.

emily @ the happy home January 4, 2012 at 3:49 pm

those are absolutely stunning… i’m actually a little weepy because you all look just so happy and in love with each other! absolute family photo perfection.

clara January 4, 2012 at 5:11 pm

It’s amazing how a good photographer can just yoink the awesome right out of you and put it on paper. The photos are so joyful, I smile looking at them.

fawn January 4, 2012 at 8:09 pm

GINGER! You gave me goosebumps! Seriously, you are too kind! You and your family are so amazing.. I simply shot what I saw.. {I did get a workout, but that is a bonus} 🙂 Thank you for taking the time to give me a great shout out.. and for letting me take your FIRST family photos!! I am so honored!! 🙂 xoxo

Beth January 4, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I’ve been meaning to ask you about your photoshoot! LOVE those pics.. SO fabulous. Fawn is amazing.

Megan January 4, 2012 at 8:57 pm

These are amazing! I would have NEVER guessed that day was anything less than magical. Beautiful.

Kate January 4, 2012 at 10:58 pm

ABSOLUTELY love the photos. They are so you guys and bring all the jooy of having a little one, the love of your family and the beauty of San Diego. Love it!!!

Kim January 5, 2012 at 2:10 pm

These pictures are SO GREAT!

Laura Lohr | My Beautiful Life January 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

You have a beautiful family! As I was scrolling down I was thinking, “Oh, that one is my favorite. WAIT, NO! THAT ONE!” They are all so gorgeous! Love them all!

ABDPBT January 8, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Super late, but I just wanted to say how gorgeous these pictures are. It’s great to see all three of you, now I have something to picture when I read your stories.

Erin January 8, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Wow. These are all just stunning!