The Rules of Decent People

by Ginger on November 9, 2011

in Random

1. If you see a child being raped, you step in to stop it. Immediately. And then call the cops.
  2. If you are afraid for your life while seeing a child being raped, you call the cops. Immediately.
  3. You do not, under any circumstances, LEAVE THAT CHILD BEING RAPED WITHOUT DOING SOMETHING.
  4. If you realize later that you think you saw a child being raped/assaulted, you call the cops.
  5. If you have been told that someone has been seen raping a child, you do not sweep it under the rug, you investigate and call the cops.

Look, this isn’t a grey area. Children need adults to protect them. And if you, as an adult, see or hear of another adult preying on a child, SACK UP AND HELP THAT KID. Period. I don’t care if your job is at stake, I don’t care if your football program is at stake, I don’t care if it’s icky and uncomfortable, be a decent human being and HELP THAT KID.

I cannot believe that this is something that needs to be explained.

Carolyn (temysmom) November 9, 2011 at 10:18 pm

As if it’s not frightening enough that there are people walking the earth who prey on children, it’s pretty horrific to think there are people walking the earth who wouldn’t put a stop to it when they know it’s going on.

Ginger November 9, 2011 at 10:33 pm

It makes me very sad about being human sometimes.

Cloud November 9, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Can I add #6? If someone- particularly someone who is in a position of authority over young people- is fired for covering up the fact that a child was raped, you don’t spend a lot of time worrying about how this is tarnishing his reputation and ruining how his career will be viewed, nor do you worry about the impact of this on a sports program.

Anytime I happen to catch some news coverage of this debacle, I just want to be sick. They all seem to be talking about the wrong things.

Ginger November 9, 2011 at 10:34 pm

YES! YES! EXACTLY!

This is seriously a case of people being focused on the WRONG freaking thing.

Sheila November 10, 2011 at 6:04 am

I KNOW! My husband told me about this last night (guess I don’t follow the news much) and I was like, “What the heck kind of person knows this is going on and doesn’t DO something about it?!” Think of all the kids who wouldn’t have been abused if only someone had said something at the right time.

I simply can’t imagine what kind of person could know this was going on and not stop it. My husband says it’s a man thing … that groups of men doing manly stuff absolutely refuse to admit that there could ever be anything wrong, because then they’d be denying their perfect “boys’ club” sort of thing. I hope he’s wrong, though, because that’s enough to make me a man-hater.

Someone who doesn’t stand up for a kid who’s being hurt does not deserve to be considered a human being. Ugh.

Brooke @ mommalytics November 10, 2011 at 7:15 am

I’m going to write more about this later, but if this wasn’t Penn State (or another large institution) with well-known people, there is absolutely no way people would be defending covering up the rape of a young boy.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks November 10, 2011 at 7:59 am

Amen, sistah! I want to know why the Athletic Director wasn’t also shit-canned last night. Those poor kids – wow. This mama bear wants ugly things to happen to those involved who did nothing to stop it.

Gia November 10, 2011 at 9:13 am

I’m 100% with you. I don’t think of this situation as having any “grey” area. It’s really sad what humans will be reduced to doing when revenue is on the line. When did our priorities shift so much that football is coveted more highly over keeping someone safe?

SO RIDIC.

Reading (and chickens) November 10, 2011 at 9:25 am

Ugh, this whole thing makes me feel sick with worry.

Caren with a "C" November 10, 2011 at 9:33 am

Wow, I must have missed the news. It is awful that we cannot let children out of our site and that there are adults that we can’t trust to defend or care for them.

Katherine November 10, 2011 at 9:54 am

Sadly this kind of crap goes on way more often than one would like. A major example being the Catholic Church. I don’t understand the mentality of protecting an organization for the sake of a monster. You would think protecting it would be best served by getting rid of those who would destroy it.

bekah November 10, 2011 at 10:00 am

AMEN. I cannot believe how many people are defending those involved. Not necessarily Sandusky, but definitely Joepa. Its a freaking sport, and has nothing to do with the case.

I am a PA girl, and yeah, I like to see PSU win, that does not change my feelings on this one bit, nor should it. Wrong is wrong, children deserve our protection, failing to protect them when you KNOW something is happening is morally reprehensible and yes, deserves punishment.

Lisa November 11, 2011 at 7:11 am

I understand the anger towards Paterno, but I’m bothered that most of the anger seems to be directed solely towards him. A LOT of people failed those poor kids. That one 10-year old boy (I think he’s victim #2 in the grand jury docs) could have been helped by many people, first being McQueary. The fact that he walked away from a rape and called his daddy makes me see red. I want to tear the guy apart with my bare hands.

I highly doubt that when he did “report” the situation to Paterno, he gave all the details. I would imagine that he told a highly sanitized version so he wasn’t asked WHY IN THE HELL DID YOU WALK AWAY? It turned into a horrible game of Telephone going up the chain of command where none of those grown men did anything to help this kid. But ultimately, the one that was really in the position to help him was McQueary and he failed, big time.

Ginger November 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

You know, I’m beyond furious at McQueary. I CANNOT understand how you walk away and leave a child IN THE ACT OF BEING RAPED. I cannot fathom it.

Honestly, as I read the timelines and grand jury reports, my anger just gets worse. Paterno & the president, sure. McQueary? The janitorial staff? The campus police? The AD? What about the people involved in the 1998 incident? Where Sandusky ADMITTED showering with a boy, and he got told, what “not to bring kids” anymore? WTF?

And the more I read, the more I think this is just the beginning of this horrible story.

Lisa November 11, 2011 at 10:27 am

The thing in 1998 kills me. He admitted to showering with children. Admitted that it was wrong. They had a recording of all that, along with him saying he wouldn’t stop. And they stopped the investigation!!!! What?!?!?! And people are defending the DA, saying he must not have had enough evidence to charge him. I just find that SO HARD TO BELIEVE. A taped admission isn’t enough? He admitted it to the Department of Public Welfare and they just told him not to do it again?

Kate November 11, 2011 at 8:14 am