Oy.

by Ginger on November 4, 2011

in The 9-5

This morning I had a BIG meeting with the president of my division. I’ve been prepping for this meeting for almost two months, building strategies, making plans, organizing and reworking.

My meeting was at 8am.

I worked on the final details the last two nights until 11. Last night, bed at 11:15 (early, for me). Kid woke up screaming for me at 1:00.

My alarm went off at 5;45.

I was out the door at 6:45.

At 7:26, I got a flat. On the freeway. (Did you know standing in the middle of 10 lanes of traffic is REALLY FREAKING loud?)

Standing in the middle of the freeway

(Luckily) At 7:28 Freeway Service Patrol pulled up and helped me out by changing my tire to the spare.

So by 7:38, I was safely ensconced at work. (Fastest tire change outside NASCAR, I think).

Leaving me just enough minutes to log into my computer, fix and print the documents I needed, and walk over to my 8am meeting.

Where I proceeded to spend the next 79 minutes getting hung out to dry.

It was awful. Some of the phrases I heard: “I don’t even know what you do,” “No offense, but when we had a REAL marketing & publicity department,””Don’t play the victim” and a personal favorite, for OH SO MANY reasons “Just make them listen to you!”

I left that meeting with a smile plastered on my face, until I got to my cubicle, where I promptly sat down and cried. For one minute.

My boss came by later to tell me that she thought I did a great job and that HER boss was thrilled with how it had gone.

I’m glad someone was.

I’m feeling like I should have just stayed on the side of the freeway.

emily November 4, 2011 at 11:49 am

you are so much a better/stronger person than i. if someone ever legitimately said to me, “i don’t know what you do,” i my immaturity and haste, i would probably have stormed, “nothing for you anymore” and effing left.

Lex November 4, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Ditto to what Emily said.

The fact that you weren’t flashing middle fingers around left and right tells me that you handled that fuckery like a BOSS.

I’m sorry that your day has been so bloody awful, though. Hoping that beer-thirty is in your future sooner rather than later 😉

bekah November 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm

ew. not cool…Im so sorry, but Im glad your direct superior appreciates you

Jill Browning November 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Oh, Ginger. Please quit your job. It sounds miserable. Life’s too short! I’d freshen up my resume if I were you.

clara November 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Oh god. Jackasses abounding. That is so not professional (them, not you.)(obvs)

Cheezy internet hugs.

shellflower November 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm

That is SO corporate America. In my personal experience, anyone over Management level doesn’t know shit about what happens on a day to day basis below them. I think the flat tire was a sign.

Reading (and chickens) November 4, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Oy. OY. I send you virtual margaritas. What a crap day.

The Sweetest November 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Holy crap. I think I would have left for the day, if not forever. So sorry you had such a terrible day!

Erin November 4, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Well I am enraged on your behalf. Don’t take any shit, Ginger. I don’t think you’re the type who takes shit, I just want to make sure people aren’t walking all over you. Consider if they would have spoken to a man the same way, and how a man would have responded. Ugh. I fucking hate people.

Courtney @ Never Cook On A Saturday Night November 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I am really hoping your night is better than your morning! I got a flat tire on the freeway this week too. Standing on a freeway (even on the shoulder) is scary!

Danielle November 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Damn. I’ve been in those types of meetings many times. Sorry to hear that you had to go through that.

Marlena November 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Oy vey is right. Hope things got better after that.

Elizabeth November 7, 2011 at 8:46 pm

What a nightmare. You work too hard for them for someone to come down on you and your department like that. I’m glad your boss and hers have your back.