What I Learned This Weekend

by Ginger on October 24, 2011

in Day in the Life, Mom Thoughts, Oh Baby!

1. I am more likely to clean if someone is coming over who might judge me. On a related note, it’s AMAZING how much you can get cleaned in an hour if you have to.
  2. My child REALLY needs at least two massive sessions of physical activity a day to not be a total pill. Oh, he’ll still be a pill, but less so.
  3. Changing a habit is really hard. Changing more than 5 at once is a recipe for crazy making. But once you realize that you need to change something, and you actually take it to heart, it’s impossible to not try.
  4. My kid is awesome, but he is not a sit quietly kind of kid. Maybe someday he’ll be able to do things like hay rides and story times, but for now, it’s better for us all if we don’t try to make him be what he’s not.
  5. Having someone watch your kid for free is SO MUCH better than paying a babysitter. I really need that babysitter’s collective I’ve been dreaming of.
  6. Being a parent comes with certain physical dangers. If anyone has any hints on how to stop being a toddler punching bag, I’m open to suggestions over at Noodle Knobs.
  7. A full weekend, while exhausting, makes it that much easier to really leave work at work. Making memories (both good and bad) is a great use of a weekend.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks October 24, 2011 at 10:03 am

For the first time this weekend, I realized *this* is what it’s like to have a boy (as I was comparing Gavin to his girl cousin who is only a few months older than him). He is SO MUCH MORE ACTIVE than she is – it’s kind of mind boggling! I’m seeing a lot of what you deal with now in my not-so-distant future!

Marlena October 24, 2011 at 11:13 am

I agree with the cleaning. Our house looks best when someone is coming over. Also, I’m in a Babysitting Coop and love it. Let me know if you have any questions. It’s rad. It doesn’t work all of the time, but it’s pretty darn sweet.

Sara October 24, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I really enjoyed reading your blog. I can definitely relate with #1. My house can almost sparkle if my Grandma calls and says she will be here in an hour. Don’t ask for something in my closet though! hehe

Maricris of Zensible Mama October 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Number one is so true to me too! I sometimes question why I have to clean for people who comes and make a mess! LOL

Elizabeth October 25, 2011 at 8:31 am

I think we’re in for The Active with Hannah. She raises hell if she isn’t on the floor moving. Good exercise for me, at least?

I am SO the same way about cleaning. It’s a shame, ha!

Amy ~ Eat. Live. Laugh. Shop. October 25, 2011 at 11:19 am

I agree on all fronts! Sometimes the only time I really clean, though, is the hour before someone arrives!

Reading (and chickens) October 31, 2011 at 8:24 am

OK, I’m still catching up so please excuse the super late comment, but it took me SO LONG to realize #4 for my kids; you’re a smarter mom than me!