Yet Another Accent Vlog or The One Where I Blink A Lot

by Ginger on October 14, 2011

in Blogging & Social Media, Random

So, like what feels like half the internet, I decided to do the accent vlog. Mostly because I thought other people’s were cool and I figured I could get one done in, like, 20 minutes start to finish (including uploading and writing this here post).

Two hours, four takes, and one laptop almost thrown across the room later, it’s finally done. I talk with my hands entirely too much, I swear I don’t blink that much in real life (I don’t think), and let’s not even talk about the double chin or whatever the hell it is that my hair is doing. But if you’re dying to hear what I sound like, here’s your second chance. (Not that you could really hear the first one).

So what do you think? Accent? No Accent? You tell me! (but be kind…vlogs freak me out.)

If you want to do one yourself (and you TOTALLY should, so I know what YOU sound like), here are the steps:

Say the following words:

Aunt, route, wash, oil, theatre, iron, salmon, caramel, fire, water, sure, data, ruin, crayon, toilet, New Orleans, pecan, both, again, probably, spitting image, Alabama, lawyer, coupon, mayonnaise, syrup, pajamas, caught
Answer these questions:
What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is the bug that curls into a ball when you touch it?
What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
What is the thing you use to change the TV channel?

shasta October 14, 2011 at 9:08 am

If I hadn’t heard your background first, I woulda thought you were a west coast native! And I agree – sunshower isn’t a word you hear much in CA. I picked it up during a conference in Florida years ago. Never really have a chance to use in here, though.

Lisa October 14, 2011 at 9:37 am

I also say caramel and data two different ways and have no clue when I use one or the other. Just whatever I’m feeling at the moment, I guess?

I need to do this!

Erin October 14, 2011 at 9:55 am

So for starters, I hadn’t heard about these accent vlogs. Where the hell have I been? I totally need to do one.
You don’t have an accent IN MY OPINION, but we both live in California, so … I can’t believe that you’re from Texas and you don’t say WARSH. How do you say creek? And apricot? And Oregon?

Anne October 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I say no accent. 🙂 You say most of the same stuff I do, and I was born in New Jersey and have lived in Florida, NYC, and now Maryland.

Kelly October 14, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Whoa. I am also from West Texas and now live in San Diego (how’s that for random?) and you say and sound (accent-wise) just like me. Everything you said is how I would have said it and no one ever says I have an accent… until I throw out a y’all. I’m from El Paso, which is more Mexico than Texas, thus I picked up an accent for my Spanish, but not for my English. 🙂

kakaty October 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I don’t hear any major accent.

vlogs freak me out, too (doing them – I love watching them). It took me forever to decided to do this accent one.

Life In A Pink Fibro October 15, 2011 at 5:44 am

I must have been under a rock because I didn’t know about accent vlogs! I’d be terrified to do one… what if I really sound like Crocodile Dundee and I don’t know it…

Thanks for popping by the Fibro.

Erin October 15, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I don’t think you have an accent…or a lisp!

I’m off to record an accent vlog immediately. This is fun!

Jen October 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm

This is fun! To me you totally have an accent, but then, I’m from Ken-eh-dah and so what I hear is “American blend” wherein I hear some of that Texan and some of that Californian all smushed together. My vlog is uploading as we speak.

Cheryl October 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I didn’t hear a lisp at all! It’s hard for me to say yes or not to whether you have an accent, listening with my Canadian ear and all 😉

clara October 23, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Woah, I thought I commented on this last week? Um, yeah…as a Canadian, you sound American to me 🙂 also? Love your eyebrows! So neat and tidy!

{ 1 trackback }