Backs and Babies

by Ginger on September 21, 2011

in Mom Thoughts

I woke up to the feeling of back pain. My lower back aches. My shoulders are tight. My neck is sore. It moves into my arms, and down my sides.

This is what happens when your BIG KID is still only two, and has a rough night filled with night terrors, nightmares, and tummy aches.

For those of you who missed it, Jackson had his 2 year appointment last week and the official measurements are as follows: 32.6 pounds (91st percentile) and 38 inches (off the percentile charts). He’s really and truly a BIG KID. But this doesn’t stop me from picking him up when he says “UP!” or from putting him in and taking him out of the car, or from lifting him over the baby gates into the kitchen. And it sure as hell doesn’t stop me from crouching down to pick him up and hold him multiple times in the night when he calls out for me, or when he’s sick, or when he needs a cuddle.

At some point, I’m going to have to stop picking him up as much (or I’m going to need to do some serious weight training!). I’m going to have to say no when he says “up”. I’m going to have to make him climb in the car. And I’m going to have to get rid of the baby gate. Lifting almost 33 pounds dozens and dozens of times a day is hard on my already strained back, and as he continues to grow, the day will come when I have to start saying no–further moving him away from my baby and into a kid. I hope I’m a ways away from that day, but it is coming.

But I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to stop myself from picking him up or holding him in the middle of the night when he calls out for me.

Mama Durso September 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm

To solve a problem that you’re not really asking us to fix… maybe using the baby gates with a gate in it could help out your back. We have this one and I love it: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265806. 🙂

Ginger September 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm

We actually have ones that have gates–at this point one of them is really more for the dog than the kid, which is why we cheat and lift the kid over rather than fighting off the dog. But yeah, that’s gonna have to stop soon.

Mama Durso September 21, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Ah, well then the answer is easy: get rid of the dog. Just kidding. 🙂 There’s no easy way to start treating your baby like a kid, is there? Especially when he’s still a baby age-wise, but not physically.

shasta September 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Totally get what you’re saying. Mittens is about 80th percentile for height and weight, and it’s getting to be a problem. I went for a “therapeutic” deep tissue massage while on vacation this summer, and the guy (who’s worked on me before) actually said he couldn’t do much without causing serious pain because my back muscles were the tightest and stiffest he’d ever seen. I ended up with a hot stone massage and a prescription to stop picking up my kid so much. =/

clara September 22, 2011 at 6:59 am

I stopped picking up my big boy when his brother was born…actually when I was heavily pregnant with that brother..and I regret that I didn’t get to carry and snuggle him more. Now he’s 40+ lbs at 5 years old and only interested in tackling me to the ground. Of course, his brother at 3.5 is still a snuggle monkey.

Enjoy. And lift with your knees. 😉

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks September 22, 2011 at 12:14 pm

You’re a good mama … it’s ok to want to pick up your not-so-little young tyke! I wonder if there are ways to still feel the bond with him without picking him up so much. If he wants up, maybe you ask him to come to you as you sit on the floor or a chair or on the couch … and let him crawl into your lap to be held. Or, maybe, you start opening the baby gate, instead of trying to lift him over it. I don’t think you can (or want to) completely eliminate picking him up … but, if you lessen the number of times you pick him up each day, then maybe it’ll be less painful for those times where you do want or need to pick him up.