It’s (Almost) My Birthday and I’ll Do…Something?

by Ginger on August 16, 2011

in Celebrations

It seems like it’s been a summer of event after event after event. And as the summer winds down this trend continues for at least a few more weeks. Next up?

My birthday!

I don’t know if that exclamation point up there is actually warranted. I’m turning 32–not exactly a milestone year or anything. And honestly, I probably got all my partying out of my system at BlogHer. But still, there’s something about marking the passage of your own life that calls for SOME kind of celebration, right? And my plan this year was to do…something. I’ve even got it on my 2011 T0-Do List: “Celebrate my birthday with something other than dinner and a movie.”

So of course, with my birthday on the horizon…

I got nothin.

I swear, this happens when I try to plan anything. It’s like my brain empties of any thought or idea I’ve ever had. Going to dinner? Every restaurant I’ve ever heard of flies out of my head. Going for drinks? Every drink I’ve ever liked is erased from my memory. Have a free day to do something? Every place I’ve wanted to go is forgotten.

So of course, now that my birthday is here, and NC is asking me what I want to do? My brain is pretty much going:

uh…

….

hmmm…

Helpful, huh? I know that I want to do something more than dinner & a movie (as MUCH as I enjoy that, it’s what we always do. I would like something different). I know that the toddler is a factor–we either have to be able to afford a babysitter or do something kid friendly. I know that I don’t have a ton of money to blow on a birthday.

But still.

I wanna celebrate.

(If I could just figure out how.)

So who has ideas? (And who wants to come over for a party?)

Anne August 16, 2011 at 7:28 am

You’re in Southern California, right? What about spending the day walking the Venice Boardwalk, or the Santa Monica Pier? Or you could rent a small boat and head out dolphin watching. Or maybe, instead of dinner and a movie, you could go to a show at a community theater. Or an outdoor concert (if there are any near you). It’s fair season – is there a local fair near you? Fried foods don’t count on your birthday. 😉 Oh! If you’re close enough, what about getting tickets to the live taping of a TV show?

Ginger August 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Most of that is a little far north, but I HAVE been toying with the boat idea. I saw a deal for a 2 hour sailing thing that might be fun…

Katherine August 16, 2011 at 7:46 am

I went bowling for mine.

Also sites like Groupon and Living Social are good for finding things to do in the area you would never think of.

Ginger August 22, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Oooh, that’s a great idea. I always forget about Groupon & the like, even though I’m signed up for a ton of them. If nothing else, I can probably get some good ideas!

Hannah August 16, 2011 at 7:52 am

I always think the idea of throwing a party sounds fun until I start planning it. Maybe you could ask your husband to plan it for you as your present 😛

I love picnics as dates! I don’t drive, so I usually bring a little bottle of sparkling wine to drink which can make it a little more romantic. I’ve never done it but the idea of being a tourist in your own city sounds really fun too. An inexpensive date might be playing cards or board games at home while the little guy spends the time out with a babysitter. One caveat though–one couple I know is so competitive they can’t play alone with each other anymore 😉

Ginger August 22, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Oh yeah, we can’t do lots of board games anymore. And Scrabble is off the list forever! 😉

I like the idea of a picnic…that was something we did a lot pre-kid, and it could definitely be a nice thing to revisit with the help of a babysitter!

Erin August 16, 2011 at 8:58 am

A couple birthdays back, I threw a murder mystery party for my birthday. SERIOUS FUN.

If I were there, I would totally take you out to a piano bar or something equally awesome.

Ginger August 22, 2011 at 10:11 pm

If only all my online friends could come party with me! That would make one badass party!

Cloud August 16, 2011 at 9:29 am

Roar and Snore at the Safari Park? I have a friend who did that and said it was awesome. Or do one of their “backstage” tours. Those sound cool.

Ginger August 22, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I *really* want to do Roar and Snore someday. I just don’t think the kid would be up for it, and we don’t have overnight childcare (curses to not having family nearby!). But as soon as that kid is old enough, I TOTALLY want to do that!

Trina August 16, 2011 at 10:59 am

Let me take you three to Disneyland and CA Adventures. ^_^

Ginger August 22, 2011 at 10:15 pm

You’re so sweet! I just don’t know if J is quite ready for Disney (or if I’m ready for a day with him AT Disney! I’m tired just thinking about it…)

Jennie August 16, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Last year, I got dressed up and went to a nice dinner with all my girlfriends, and it was fantastic.

Some other ideas: wine tasting (?), horse back riding, mini-golf then pizza and beer, cupcake tour of San Diego, sunset cruise (that sounds pricey but maybe there’s a deal!), game night at your house (I like to host parties at our house because then the kiddo can go to sleep while the adults hang out and we don’t have to worry about babysitting!), food/wine festival in the area, local event, three stop dinner (I’ve always wanted to do this: apps at one place, dinner at another, dessert at a third, drinks at all three!), beach picnic, regular picnic, poker game at your house, oh man I could go on. I like Doing Things, apparently!

Ginger August 22, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I apparently just need you to plan my entire life, because this gives me ideas of things to do for the next YEAR!

Mama Durso August 16, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I just clicked on the comment box to leave a comment and anything I ever wanted to write vanished from my brain… I feel your pain in that department.

I’m new to your blog and thus haven’t read all of your previous posts… there are many, so if I give you a suggestion that you would obviously hate and you’ve blogged about it before, I apologize!

Birthday ideas in San Diego: National Comedy Theater off India Street (Improvisational comedy. http://www.nationalcomedy.com)
The Shouthouse! – Dueling piano bar in downtown. It can be hit or miss, which can be an issue, and like any downtown bar, the drinks are expensive.
The Horse Races – It’s on your list of things to do in 2011… you might as well!
Julian Apple Days – Not sure when your birthday is, but it starts in September. Going apple picking could be a fun family outing. 🙂

Ginger August 22, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Actually, those all sound fun! Apple Picking would be too late (my birthday is this week), but that’s actually a good reminder that we want to do that this year…we always seem to miss the apple days.

And you’re the second person to recommend the Shouthouse. I may need to look into that one!

clara August 17, 2011 at 6:50 am

Those are great ideas! I don’t have any better/different ones, except that I like daytime dates just as much as, if not more than, evening ones, because you can stroll in the sunshine and go to used bookstores and stop for ice cream or coffee or whatever. Um, this would be without the kid though, so can you pick a daycare day?

My birthday is generally uneventful because it’s in February, my husband’s is the day before mine, and we are almost always sick, so my standards are pretty low. Got cupcakes? It’s a birthday!

Ginger August 22, 2011 at 10:21 pm

We’ve already scheduled a babysitter for late afternoon on Saturday. Still don’t know what we’re doing, but we’re doing it during the day! (I miss sharing the sunshine sans kiddo sometimes).

KT August 17, 2011 at 8:00 am

Comedy club/concert/show?

Ginger August 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I’m thinking of a comedy thing. I always forget about comedy shows–on first thought, they make me really uncomfortable, but I always end up enjoying myself…

Ginger August 22, 2011 at 10:00 pm

These are all such AWESOME ideas. See, you guys just all need to move closer to me so we can all go out and celebrate each of our birthdays with one or more of these fun outings!