The Obligatory Pre-BlogHer11 Post

by Ginger on July 28, 2011

in Blogging & Social Media

With BlogHer a week away, I figure it’s time for me to do the obligatory Pre-BlogHer post.

Come Talk to Me at BlogHer '11!

Yes, I’m going to BlogHer. It’s in my backyard, so I practically HAVE to go (I think that’s in the blogger bylaws or something, right? Oh, wait, we don’t have bylaws? No Robert’s Rules of Order? Hmmmm, that explains a lot then…). And I’ll be honest, I’m really, really excited. There are parties to attend, sessions to hear, swag to grab, and drinks to drink.

Luckily, I’ve been pretty calm about the whole thing so far. Maybe because I’ve been so crazy busy. Maybe because I’ve attended a LOT of conferences and trade shows in my day. Maybe because I’ve watched several years of BlogHer craziness. Maybe because I’m too broke to worry about shopping (stupid brakes needing to be fixed kinda took care of that one for me). I dunno, whatever the reason, I’m not really worried. I mean, I’m always nervous about meeting people I don’t know, but I’m not freaking out over anything.

My big goals for BlogHer are simple:

Meet as many of my readers/bloggers I read/Twitter friends/new bloggers as humanly possible. I swear, this is my #1 goal. If you are going to be at BlogHer, I want nothing more than to meet you. If you’re going and you’re not sure who to talk to, I’ll talk to you! If you’re not sure who to have lunch with? ME! Leave me a comment, or send me a message on Twitter, or find me in the BlogHer11 app so we can exchange contact info, and I will make it my mission to meet you.

Step out of my comfort zone. I’m contemplating putting my name in the hat to read a post at Listen to Your Mother/Letter to Your Mother Open Mic. I’m considering setting up a Birds Of a Feather table. I’m going to party hop. I’m going to try to walk up to people that look fun and interesting and introduce myself. I want to get as much as possible PERSONALLY from those days, so I’ll need to step out of my comfort zone.

Go With the Flow. I’ve looked at my schedule and it’s already full. I won’t be able to do and see everything I want to, and I’m trying to go in with that knowledge so I don’t have a repeat of what happened at BlogWorld. I’m not going to try to do it all. Instead I’m going to try and do whatever’s making me happy at the moment. If I’m enjoying a conversation with someone, I’m not going to ditch them for a session. If I’m having fun at a party, I don’t have to leave for another one. If I need downtime, I’m gonna take it. I’m going to do everything in my power to go with the flow and realize that THAT will make the weekend wonderful.

I have  few minor goals (including not annoying my roommates, figuring out the wi-fi situation before sessions start and finding the place to get Diet Coke at a Pepsi sponsored conference), but really they’re minor for a reason. At the end of the day, I want to enjoy the people and the sights and the time with my peers(and, ok, the drinks). Everything else is just gravy.

Kate July 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm

So jealous of you! Have a wonderful time and enjoy stepping out of your comfort zone!!! 🙂

Carolyn (temysmom) July 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Hey Ginger… we should totally sit together at lunch on Friday since we might be running with the same crowd and I so want to meet you. 🙂

Ginger July 28, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Absolutely! Sounds like a plan 🙂

Trina July 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm

It will be so great to see you! I have to admit, I’m not scared at all about speaking, but I’m quite scared about the conference. This is a new world to me, and I fear that I may be running by myself alot. 🙁

Ginger July 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm

You’ll do great. With your personality, you’ll make friends right and left! And if you can deal with the hordes at ComicCon, you can deal with a bunch of ladies 🙂

moosh in indy. July 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm

The number one way to win friends and influence people at blogher is to have a secret stash of diet coke. bonus points if it’s cold. I learned this two years ago and it has stayed true ever since.
*sending my info through the blogher app…now* (Hi, I’m Casey!)

Ginger July 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm

OMG, you’re freaking brilliant. I’m a local, I can even stock up on a flat or two at Costco on the way down to the hotel!

That’s it–Diet Coke in my room everyone!

(hi Casey, nice to meet you!)

Megan July 28, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I wish I could be as confident as you about this. I’m really starting to panic. I’m trying to have a good attitude. A nice, “go with the slow” kinda thing, but I am really nervous. Maybe I will blog about it tomorrow.

I AM looking forward to hanging out, though!

Ginger July 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Don’t panic! If nothing else, those 10 drink tickets should help keep the panic levels at least a LITTLE lower 😉

If nothing else, you, me and Brooke will have fun #roomiesrock!

Morgan July 28, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Ok, I most definitely want to meet you!! 🙂

Ginger July 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Definitely! I sent you my contact info in the BlogHer app, so let’s make sure to meet up!

Amy {Frugan} July 28, 2011 at 11:49 pm

I love your attitude to this. Makes me wish I was going. But unless it coincides with one of my visits home, not sure I’ll ever get there. Have fun!

Megan at SortaCrunchy July 29, 2011 at 8:40 am

I absolutely LOVE this! This is exactly the attitude I want to convey. So, so inspiring! You said so many of the things I’ve been thinking, too! I do SO hope we can meet.

Ginger July 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I’m so glad to find other people who want the same things! We should definitely meet–kindred spirits need to meet!

Erin July 29, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Hi Ginger – I’ll be there with my pal @cstubler, would love to meet you at some point! I think it’s really brave to put your name in the hat, and really awesome. I’ll link up with you on the app…

Elizabeth July 31, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Enjoy yourself! I had such a great time last year, but going just wasn’t in the cards for this year. I know you’ll meet all sorts of amazing people!

Hanan August 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm

“I’m going to try and do whatever’s making me happy at the moment.” <– I love that!! I'm sure things won't go as planned, but as long as I am having fun, right?!

Andi August 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I’ll be there for the first time, I have avoided it because it is so large (I am an introvert) but I bit the bullet and I am looking forward to it!