When a Promotion Means Panic

by Ginger on July 19, 2011

in Becoming Myself, The 9-5

So the big news around here (besides my utter exhaustion!) is that I got a promotion last week. WOOHOO. It’s a big step up in responsibility and scope, and will be a definite challenge for me–in good ways and in…challenging ways.

But holy cow, after the euphoria of the announcement wore off and the reality set in, my brain is in a slight state of PANIC PANIC PANIC. I’m…feeling pretty overwhelmed by this promotion actually. I’m fairly certain I’m going to be great at it, and that I’ll do all the things that my bosses believe I can do. Eventually. But right now, all I can think of is how much there is to learn, how much there is to do, how much I don’t know. Oh, and how much my two new reports don’t really seem all that thrilled with the idea of having me as their boss. To be fair, they may just be reacting to change in general and not me specifically, but still.

I get like this a lot when I get a new responsibility–I have to have my little wig out over “omg, how do I do this all?” and then I figure it out and everything is ok. But until I figure it out, that sense of panic sits just below the surface waiting for the perfect moment (one more meeting invite, one more question I don’t know how to answer, one more personnel issue) to send me into full blown freak out. It’s not a matter of not being a good fit for the new role, but it’s when you take that step up from one level to the next…you have to find your footing again.

I know I just need to power through this to get to the other side, the side where I’ll rock and roll and be the superstar that everyone is used to me being. It’ll take me a few weeks, and then it’ll just be…my job. Until then, I’ll be over here taking deep breaths and trying not to completely lose my mind.

[another] Ginger July 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Congratulations! You got the promotion because you deserve it and can do it. I understand the freak-out though. Just be sure to take some time to celebrate and pat yourself on the back. 🙂

Perpetual Breadcrumbs July 19, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I know you don’t have much time for twitter now, but whenever you start to freak, just drop by for a second, tell us you’re freaking, and we’ll be there to remind you that YES YOU CAN.

And congrats! It’s uber-exciting, even though it’s also uber-scary-right-now 🙂

Heather July 19, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I hear ya. I am on day two of my brand new, completely different job, and I feel very overwhelmed. I don’t even know how or where to start!!!

Michelle July 19, 2011 at 8:10 pm

My favorite part about this post?

The fact that you know you can rock it and are confident in yourself. Seriously. Congratulations!

Laura Lohr | My Beautiful Life July 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm

You are going to do just fine. There are people that knew you were capable and that is why they chose you for the role and responsibility.

Congratulations again. You are a rock star!

bekah July 20, 2011 at 5:36 am

congrats!! You got it because you deserve it and you WILL be great at it!!

Kate July 22, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Congratulations! You deserve this and you can do it. Have the utmost faith in what you are capable of! 🙂

KT July 27, 2011 at 7:40 am

I’m a bit behind in my blog reading, but CONGRATS on the promotion! I’m sure that you are going to do great with your new responsibilities- otherwise your bosses wouldn’t have promoted you! 🙂

Elizabeth July 31, 2011 at 10:51 pm

You’re going to rock it. Well, you’re probably already rocking it by now. Congrats!