Faceless Facebook

by Ginger on June 22, 2011

in Blogging & Social Media

For all of my online habits, my social media addictions, my obsession interest in staying connected, I have one gaping hole.

Facebook.

That’s right, the 900 pound social media gorilla and I don’t mesh well. I mean, I have a Facebook account. Well, actually, I have 3–one personal, one blog, and one page. And lets not get into how many pages I’ve created for work. So, I mean, it’s not like I’m not representing over on the ‘book.

But given my choice? I much prefer hanging out on Twitter than Facebook. I don’t know why. I know I resisted Facebook for far longer than many people my age. I know that I have never gotten into farmville, or mafia wars, or any of the other games you can find over there. I never seem to be utilizing it right. The Noodle Knobs Facebook page is woefully under used. My two profiles are sadly populated. I’m a “liker” more than a commenter. It’s like I’m a Facebook newbie when it comes to my own personal accounts.

I know it’s not a big deal–I always tell people that I consult with that you’re better off building the social media profiles that FIT you, and for some reason Twitter just FITS me better. But at the same time, I know I’m missing out on connections with Real Live People (especially the ones I know in real life). I see how it works at work, and for other people, and I know, just know, that I’m missing an opportunity. And not an opportunity to gain “followers” or build “influence”, but to actually connect–which you guys know is my favorite thing.

Maybe the problem is the amount. I mean, it’s a lot to keep up with. Maybe I should just merge the two profiles and deal with it that way? Or maybe it’s just that I need some better ideas of how other people make Facebook fun for themselves. Right now, I mostly just think of it as a chore, whereas Twitter is FUN. So maybe that’s the problem. Or maybe it’s just…Facebook isn’t for me. Maybe?

I don’t know, but maybe you do. Have any Facebook tips for me? Tools you use to manage it all? Ways you make it fun? I clearly need your help people!

Justine June 22, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Funny … I can’t figure out Twitter!

I think, like Twitter, you have to be “friends” with the right people. It’s not about you, but about the statuses you post, and they post. Which looks an awful lot like a Twitter feed to me. Then again, what do I know? 😉

Ginger June 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm

That’s a good way to think about it. I do a lot of interacting on Twitter because I find it interesting. And the interactions I DO do on Facebook are usually because of the people. Maybe my family is just too boring? 😉 (kidding family, I love you!).

Katherine June 22, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I purposely never got involved with Twitter since one form of social media is enough these days. I am not concerned with meeting new people via web and only comment on this blog (since I know you) and one other. So perhaps I’m not the best example.

Maybe you need a few more train wrecks in your news feed, those are always fun.

Ginger June 28, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I love WATCHING the train wrecks, but I don’t usually like to get involved in them. (on FB or Twitter…or anywhere really). But then, I’m a little too passive sometimes…

Amy {frugan} June 23, 2011 at 5:05 am

That is really interesting. I feel the opposite. I am way more active on Facebook than Twitter. I feel like Facebook keeps me company and Twitter keeps me entertained. Meaning, I guess that I feel way more anonymous and random on Twitter and more of a voyeur. I wish I was “better” at it, whatever that means.

Also, for me, living abroad, Facebook is key to keeping in touch with my friends and family.

Actually, I’ve been meaning to ask you, do you have two Twitter accounts? One personal, one professional? I kind of need to tweet for work but have, up until now, not shared my twitter name with coworkers because it’s so connected to my blog and I don’t know if I want the two worlds so joined. I have a second that is supposed to be for work but I haven’t started using it yet. Just wondering how you navigate that.

Ginger June 28, 2011 at 10:09 pm

You would think that since I live hundreds to thousands of miles from all my family, I’d be more into FB for that connection reason. Maybe I’m just not great at keeping up, and Twitter has less obligation for me?

To your other question. If you count my work accounts, I actually have….5 Twitter accounts. 3 of those are for work, but they’re not “mine” they’re the brands I work on (I also don’t do the day to day tweeting on those 3, but have oversight on them). I don’t have to manage the personal/professional thing that way, and I don’t WANT them connected, but I do still have 5 accounts in my life. It’s…exhausting.

I’ve tried both Hootsuite & Tweetdeck to manage them all. I personally like the layout of Tweetdeck, but they both have their downfalls. I’m currently on the hunt for a new application though, because Tweetdeck has gotten kind of wonky lately.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks June 23, 2011 at 7:20 am

Like some of your other readers, I don’t have a Twitter account, but do use Facebook. I do, though, believe it’s what works best for the individual. I don’t hate on Twitter. I just think it’s sort of ridiculous for me and cannot imagine overdosing on social media.

I use Facebook for two reasons. First, to keep up with friends. And second, to keep up with companies I like. I hate the games and will hide any friend whose updates are only about FB games they’re playing. Three Facebook accounts? I’d shoot myself if I were in your shoes. Maybe you start by streamlining how you use Facebook and go from there.

Ginger June 28, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I need to find a way to streamline, I really do. Between work, blog, and personal, I’ve got ENTIRELY too much.

shasta June 23, 2011 at 4:26 pm

To me, FB is actually minimal stress. I stopped updating my status, only post pics or links when I feel like it, and comment/like when necessary. If I ignore it for 8-12-24 hours, everything is waiting in the newsfeed when I return. I do only have like 150 friends, so reading all the updates really isn’t too much of a chore.

I do, however, love the immediacy of Twitter. There’s always something to read. But that’s also why Twitter annoys me, and there’s no way to catch up on things when I’ve been away from TweetDeck for more than 20 min.

Also, my FB is only for personal stuff. Updating for blog/business reasons might get to be too much.

Ginger June 28, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Twitter lists man, that’s the only way I even try to catch up. I have a bunch of very small, private Twitter lists so if I *want* to catch up on certain groups, I just check out the lists. Makes it so much more manageable!

Erin June 23, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I find facebook more annoying, than anything else. I’m over it, but I still obsessively look at it so that I can be irritated by constant updates from the same people over and over again. Twitter, on the other hand, serves more of a purpose. In my opinion, it’s a widely under-utilized networking tool. I’m only now cluing into to this myself, but will definitely be trying to use it to my advantage. Plus, on Twitter you get to befriend so many people you’ve never met, and with only 140 characters it’s hard to irritate anyone too much.

Ginger June 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Facebook definitely runs the risk of being annoying to me faster. I think because I love the immediacy of Twitter or because I get tired of the “repost this if you think puppies shouldn’t be kicked!” on Facebook…but maybe I just need to think of it differently. It’s a different beast (clearly!) from my lovah Twitter.

Kate June 23, 2011 at 8:23 pm

This post made me laugh out loud because I can’t wrap my head around twitter for the life of me… 🙂 And, I live on facebook. I agree that’s all about the individual and what you want and like. They are both effective. We should give each other tips on the our preferred site.

Ginger June 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I still owe you that email about Twitter! Doh!

Kim June 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I feel your Facebook pain. What used to be a fun way to kill time has turned into a part-time job. I’ve been debating making a separate profile for my blog, but it just seems like too much work. Maybe one day…. haha!

–Kim

Ginger June 28, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I think that’s part of my issue, Facebook is just a chore for me now. To be fair, I never REALLY loved it. I was a late adopter to Facebook, and never really took to it the way a lot of people did. So now I see it as serving a purpose, not having a personal connection with, which doesn’t help…