Toddler vs. Parent: Who Wins This Round?

by Ginger on June 20, 2011

in Mom Thoughts, Oh Baby!

1. Sleep. Bedtime is taking an hour. Multiple night wakings. Grouchy mommy. Winner: Toddler
  2. Food.Toddler rarely eats vegetables, unless hidden in a smoothie. Would be perfectly happy eating cereal and yogurt full time. At least he’ll eat those. Winner: Toddler
  3. Dinner as a family. Child refuses to eat sitting down. Wants to graze all day. Would rather feed his food to parents than eat it himself. Winner: Toddler
  4. Getting your way. Toddler wants what he wants when he wants it. Screams if he doesn’t get it, or gets told no. Parents refuse to cave 90% of the time. Winner: Parents (I guess, can you call listening to 800 tantrums a day winning?)
  5. Television. Oh, let’s just not even get into it ok? Winner: Draw. TV is a win for us both.

Clearly, the Toddler is winning this round. But I’m confident the Parents WILL prevail, in the end…

As always, you can find more lists every Mon­day over at ABDPBT!

listbutton

thepsychobabble June 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I’m STILL losing at some of these battles, and my kids are now in school.

Ginger June 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm

You know, I think I’d be willing to lose all the rest of them if I never lost another one of the sleep ones. (Sleep deprivation may be making me a little short sighted…)

Tara June 20, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Yep, this sounds a little too familiar right now, and we haven’t even started the toddler bed transition, yet. I imagine we’re in for some lovely things with that…

Megan June 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm

You’ve just described our exact situation over here. EXACT.

kate June 21, 2011 at 10:23 am

The “battle of wills” has begun. I know how draining and exhausting it is. Then, sleep deprivation added in only makes it worse. Sometimes I just want to look at Beckett and go “I swear, honey, life doesn’t need to be this hard”… Chin up! It will get better.

Cloud June 21, 2011 at 7:54 pm

The good news is that if you stick to your guns on the things that really matter to you, it does sink in. I remember wondering why I bothered to prioritize family dinners, when my then toddler just threw her food on the floor or otherwise made it difficult. But now… they are a given.

Amy {frugan} June 24, 2011 at 12:10 am

I’m losing pretty much all those battles! The TV is the one that is particularly stressing me right now. As much as I love it, she just loves it too much. We’re contemplating getting rid of it for a month or so.

In terms of bedtime? It’s never been less that 45 mins around here, sometimes more like 90. I try to make the most of it and enjoy the slow, cozy, reading time. Not always easy, though, when you stumble out of the bedroom at 9, completely zonked yourself.