Things NOT To Do When You Visit New York

by Ginger on May 23, 2011

in Random

1. Wear a white maxi dress that’s 3 inches too long for you when it’s raining.
  2. Eat at Applebee’s.
  3. Shop at the Gap as your “I went shopping in New York!” tourist bit.
  4. Eat at TGIFriday’s.
  5. Walk through those puddles in your flip flops.
  6. Eat at Olive Garden.
  7. Stick to the hotel bar, restaurant, or lobby instead of trying something new.
  8. Get a bagel from Starbucks.

As always, you can find more lists every Mon­day over at ABDPBT!

listbutton

Melissa May 23, 2011 at 7:38 am

This is absolutely hilarious! I have always been amazed/dumbfounded how many tourists go to the chain restaurants in Time Square versus exploring all of the many great things the city has to offer. And to fulfill your shopping fancy – at least venture into places that are uniquely NY – Jeffrey’s, I’ll even accept the big Bloomie’s and Macy’s HQ, but not The Gap! Come on… 🙂

Hope you’re enjoying your visit…

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks May 23, 2011 at 8:08 am

I think it’s such a shame when people go to national chains when visiting a new city. One of Chicago’s most popular tourist areas is the Magnificent Mile … a street filled with Gap, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic and every other chain retail store you can find in smaller cities as well as online. Sigh.

Brooke May 23, 2011 at 9:01 am

It always seemed odd to me that people would go to Applebees in New York. But having been a visitor in several places, I realized that a) I don’t know what’s good and often I will stick to something I know is reliable as opposed to taking a risk on something that could be bad (and yes, there is plenty of bad!) and some people have never heard of Zagat’s! and b) there are plenty of chains we don’t have here, and when I go to New York I really want a salad from COSI damnit! A bagel from Starbucks, though, in the bagel capital is absolutely unacceptable!

Ginger May 23, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Oh, I’ve already eaten at Cosi twice now. I get that about chains you don’t have at home. I just…Applebee’s? I mean, even just ask the front desk of the hotel. (To be fair, I kind of hate both Applebee’s and TGIFriday anyway).

Oh, and the Starbucks bagel? Was gotten right across the street from an AMAZING bagel place. Stab me through the heart why dontcha.

bekah May 23, 2011 at 9:17 am

I got suckered into ‘shopping’ in new york with friends ONE time, and it will never happen again! Im sorry, but I have a Gap here in PA, I want to go to a little boutique that has some funk you know?! Oy!

I do hope you are having fun!

KT May 23, 2011 at 10:41 am

Please tell me that you ate at fun restaurants and not chains while in NYC???

Ginger May 23, 2011 at 8:37 pm

The only chains I’ve eaten at are Cosi (which we don’t have back home and they have a sandwich I love) and whatever god-awful things are available in the convention center (not by choice). I don’t do chains in NY if I’ve got the choice!

Megan May 23, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I definitely patronize big chains wherever I go if it happens to be convenient, but I’m talking Starbucks and the occasional retail store for neccesities. I love food too much to eat at an Applebees when there are so many new and exciting dishes at new restaurants just waiting for me to try.

And, I don’t really shop for pleasure, but if I did I would also try to avoid places I could go to at my local mall. What’s the point?

Abi June 3, 2011 at 2:23 am

Ginger your list is perfect and universally applicable!
Cheers!