9 Days Feels Like a Lifetime

by Ginger on May 18, 2011

in Mom Thoughts, Working Mom

Now look. I know that complaining about being away from my kid for 9 days could be seen as horribly insensitive. I know there are people who have to be away from their kids for much longer. I get it, I do.

But in my little world, 9 days feels like a lifetime.

I’m leaving for a business trip to New York, a trip that will be busy and filled with meeting awesome people and cool things and great food and LOTS AND LOTS of books(and sadly, also, rain. Bleh). I’ve been a little absent online because of all the prep for the trip (though I’ve got a lot of great stuff I’m working on coming up. Posts on ereaders, marketing, blogging, publishing, fashion-ing, mom-ing stuff. It’s just been put on hold while I prepare for 9 days of business trip), so I’ll be glad to see the fruits of my labor this next week and 1/2.

But still. 9 days without my little boy. I keep joking that I’m going to come back and he’s going to be riding a bike, but I’m only half kidding. I know I’m going to come back and feel like he grew while I was gone. He’s in a developmental explosion right now–what words will he be able to say when I get back? What new thing will he be able to do? I also, like every mother I can think of, have all those “emotional fears”: will he be mad that I left? Will he forget how to say Momma? Will he only want Daddy when I get back? Will he miss me too much? Will he not miss me at all? I mean, I feel dumb with all those little questions  tugging at my heartstrings, but there they are.

I left him once before, for a much shorter time, and I summed that trip up with: I stressed, it sucked, I missed him, it was fine. I hope that that’s what it boils down to again this time. But if nothing else, that’s what Skype is for, right?

P.S. Unrelated–did I tell you I put together a “best of/new here” page, filled with some of my best stuff from the past 2.5 years? I did! You should check it out–but be warned, I couldn’t narrow it down any more than I did. There’s…a lot of links. What can I say, I’ve written a lot over the past few years!

Nina May 18, 2011 at 5:49 pm

9 days is a long time 🙁 It will definitely be harder on you than it is on him! While on our trip last week (without a computer), I discovered that our camera had some short videos of our kid on it still (I had cleared the photo card, but the video stayed). We watched them several times!

Perpetual Breadcrumbs May 18, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Ugh, that sucks. I’m going to be a away for…four days?…and it feels like forever. I’m hoping it goes fast for you, J, and The Daddy (and don’t worry, he won’t forget how to say mama 🙂

Oh, and P.S.: it blows that you’re on my coast and I won’t get to meet you. Blargh!

Elizabeth May 18, 2011 at 6:51 pm

That is a long time! I hope it flies by for you–I’m just now at the point of grappling with getting back to doing photo sessions this week and being away for a few hours.

Jennie May 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I’m right there with you. My chest tightens thinking about it.

Megan May 18, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Ugh. That is rough. But, you’re right about Skype. I’m sure that will be a big help. And, I’m sure you’re going to have a wonderful grown-up trip. Nine days is a long time, but I bet you will have some great experiences.

He’ll probably be clingy as hell to you when you get home. I always like it when I leave Charlotte for the day, and when I get home she acts like she’s velcroed to me!

I haven’t been away from her for very long, but Chris has been away from her for a few days, and he will be again next week. It’s hard on him, and she asks about him, but when they get together again, it’s so special. It’s gonna be okay!

Laura Lohr May 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I can’t imagine how difficult being away from your child for 9 days must be—especially the anticipation of it all. I can promise you though, he won’t hold it against you and he won’t forget you. You are his momma and this trip won’t take any of that beautiful bonding you have done over his lifetime away.

My brother is in the Navy and he has been gone for 6 months at a time from his daughters. I don’t know how he does it, but the excitement those little girls eyes when they see him is so pure and utter LOVE, the unconditional, pure kind.

Have a safe trip! Many kind thoughts your way!

Alexis May 19, 2011 at 5:50 am

That is very rough. Being away from your kids sucks, be it hours/days/months…whatever. The silver lining is that you are leaving him with your beloved hubby/his favorite guy in the entire world. Chris always says that being away is much easier knowing the girls are with me and therefore he doesn’t need to “worry” about them. Not sure if that helps, but from a family that does this a lot, it is these little things that make a huge difference. With all that said, have a great trip, get a few full nights of sleep, read a book, make use of that down-time. You are a being superhero right now (full-time work plus the 24/7 job of being a parent), and even super heroes deserve to enjoy exciting trips every now and then. It will feel like an eternity, it will go by in a flash, it will be fine. 🙂

Chelsea @ Someday I'll Learn May 19, 2011 at 10:21 am

Ugh, that’s rough. My baby is 3 weeks old now and I can’t imagine leaving him…EVER. I’m actually supposed to go to an event this weekend away from him for a few hours and I’m already dreading it.

Tara May 19, 2011 at 10:37 am

Oof, that does sound tough, but I am still a little jealous about all of the fun people you get to hang out with this next week. Maybe focus on that part more to take your mind off of the rest?

(I know, I know…it doesn’t really work that way, does it?)

My parents live a couple of states away, and they’ve stayed in touch with B through Skype, and when she got to hang out with them last weekend, after not seeing them since Christmas, it was like they were old friends. So I’m sure the little guy won’t forget how to say momma while you’re gone…and he’ll be super excited when you get back 🙂

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks May 23, 2011 at 8:06 am

If I were in your shoes, I’m pretty sure I’d take all those things as signs I should just go home. You’re a trooper for pushing forward. New York is a fun and welcoming place … once you get there. =)