That’s My Name

by Ginger on May 11, 2011

in Mom Thoughts, Oh Baby!

You know what the best part of my Mother’s Day weekend was? Besides, obviously, the fact that my kid slept until almost 10 on Sunday (sure, it was brought on by sickness, but I’ll take it)?

My kid calls me Momma now.

He’s been doing it occasionally, sorta, kinda, for a few weeks now. But not with any real consistency. But all of a sudden, after this weekend I feel like there’s recognition. There’s consistency. There’s…my little boy calling for me by name. (ok, it’s really more like Mahm-Mahm-Mahm. But that’s totally toddler-ese for Momma).

I have tried very hard not to worry about Jackson’s lack of language. It’s been very clear that he focuses on physical stuff before verbal. His pediatrician hasn’t been worried. I know kids develop at different rates. Yadda, yadda, yadda. But I can’t say it hasn’t been a little worrisome. And I can’t say it hasn’t made me a little sad that I wasn’t hearing that little boy calling my name.

So to hear him call for me when I walk in the door from work? Or when I come to pick him up in the morning? Or when he sees me from across a parking lot? I don’t know that there’s a sweeter sound in the entire world.

I know saying a few more words than he did 3 weeks ago doesn’t mean that I’m going to stop worrying about his verbal development (hi, I’m a worrier) until I feel like he’s more “caught up”. But at least now I don’t have that irrational fear that I’m never going hear him call me Momma.

Because now, he can call for me by my name.

clara May 11, 2011 at 7:05 am

Oh that is so sweet. Through the sickness and stress shines a little light … I’m happy for you.

Frelle May 11, 2011 at 9:27 am

the sweetness of hearing your name for the first time is amazing. Im so glad!!!

Tara May 11, 2011 at 11:02 am

How old is Jackson? Because I’ve been going through the same cycle of worry with my 19-month old, who has, for the most part, absolutely refused to use words for anything. My pediatrician isn’t concerned, either, so I try to focus on that, but it’s still frustrating sometimes. She has her little group of words that she uses on a regular basis (she can ask for her mom, her blanket, and M&Ms quite clearly…go figure), but she hasn’t seemed too keen on branching out. Like I said, lately it’s gotten better, though, and just yesterday she finally let on that she can, in fact, ask for her daddy, so there’s that. I guess we’ll get there when we get there, right?

shasta May 11, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Yay for Mama! Mittens did the same thing for awhile – she was greeting my husband as “Dada” from like the second she learned the word, but she didn’t consistently use “Mama” until recently. Even now, it’s not so much “Mama, hi!” as “Mama, backpack” or “Mama, cookie” or “Mama, kitty”, sort of a modifier for things she wants. I like it anyway. =)

Megan May 11, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Hooray! I know what a big deal that was for me, and I have to admit, I’m tearing up a little reading this. So happy for you!

Elizabeth May 12, 2011 at 1:26 am

What a sweet, perfect moment that must be! I find it slightly incomprehensible that Hannah will ever be at an age to do that, but I know it will come in due time.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks May 12, 2011 at 8:19 am

This post made me tear up. Maybe because we worry about Gavin’s development, purely because he was premature. And maybe because it was such a sweet, raw and real post. You have a loving little boy and I like to think when he’s 15, you won’t remember whether he was a delayed talker or not.

Amy {frugan} May 12, 2011 at 1:15 pm

There is nothing better than hearing that. I’m happy for you two.

cath February 17, 2013 at 11:49 pm