Because It’s FOR ME

by Ginger on May 9, 2011

in Becoming Myself

I have spent far, far too long ignoring–or at least forgetting–that I am a woman first. I’ve put every other label in front of that one: mother, wife, employee. I’ve used other qualifiers: comfortable, easy, inexpensive. But I’ve ignored that part of me that wants to look good and feel good…FOR ME.

I think part of the reason my weight loss finally “clicked” this time around was because I was doing it FOR ME. Not for my husband. Not for a doctor. Not for anyone other than ME.

And yet, I took that weight loss and I continued to cover myself up in the trappings of a person unhappy with her body, a person unwilling or unable to spend money on herself, a person who didn’t think SHE was worth the time or energy. I misplaced my swagger and replaced it with a “don’t look at me” gait.

Well, I’m done with that. Instead, it’s time for me to bust out of my shell and remember that I *can* look good. I’m *worth* looking good. Not just for my husband (though I do get a thrill out of looking good to him). Not for the the compliments at work (though, let’s be honest, they’re nice). Not for the random stranger ogling me (though, I will admit, there’s a little self-esteem boost when that happens). But FOR ME.  Because

• I love the way my legs look when I wear a small heel.
  • I throw my shoulders back when I’m wearing clothes that I think look good on me.
  • I hold my head up higher when I feel good about myself.
  • I walk with more purpose when I look nice.
  • I hold myself differently when I’m wearing jewelry than when I don’t.
  • I want to keep on the healthy eating train when I can see what positive changes my body has gone through.
  • I am more productive at work when I am dressed the part.
  • I like seeing my reflection and smiling.
  • I am worth time, and energy, and effort, and money and a second glance.

As always, you can find more lists every Mon­day over at ABDPBT!

listbutton

Cheryl May 9, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Woo hoo, go you!
I LOVE this. Thanks for reminding me that it is okay (more than okay!) to feel good about yourself and that dressing the part is not frivolous or materialistic. If it makes you feel good, wear it and wear it proudly 🙂

drhoctor2 May 9, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Excellent. I try not to wear clothes that don’t make me wanna *twirl* in them. There’s a reason for it. Even if I don’t even walk to the mailbox, I feel more like my best self if I woman it up a little !

Ginger May 9, 2011 at 1:32 pm

YES! We should all want to twirl more!

Elizabeth May 9, 2011 at 4:59 pm

**virtual fist bump**

I am so there. SO there. Doing what’s quick, comfortable, expected. I rarely do my hair or put on makeup. I mean, who do I have to impress right? My kids and husband aren’t going anywhere. But I totally notice the effect it has on my moods/days. I need to get my act together, and this helped remind me. Thanks 🙂

Erin May 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I used to be a cute dresser. Not super stylish, but I liked my clothes and they made me feel good. I need to get back to that. My dirty hair and ratty old shirts just aren’t cutting it these days.

Erin May 9, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Amen! And good for you. I managed to lose weight once, and you are so right — the way to do it is if you’re just focused on you, not anyone else. If I could get back in that mindset, my thighs would be a lot happier, and slimmer.

Zenmoo May 9, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Those are the best and most fulfilling reasons to dress well I’ve heard.

2girlsonabench May 11, 2011 at 9:52 am

Sometimes it’s cool to dress up just so when you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror you’re like yeah, she looks good, oh wait, that’s me! 🙂