My Toddler–The Laugh Riot

by Ginger on May 4, 2011

in Mom Thoughts, Oh Baby!

Toddler sitting in a dog bed

My kid has the same ability to make me laugh that my husband has. Difference, I guess, being that my husband usually is being funny on purpose, and my kid is just being…a toddler.

Take that picture up there. That’s my kid sitting in the dog’s bed while watching TV. N.C. sent me that picture at work one day and I just burst out laughing.

Or there’s his new thing–he’s learned how to say “bye-bye”. But when he does it, he throws his hands over his head—like, really FLINGS them up—and waves while saying bye,bye,bye (always in threes). Cracks me up every time.

Or his new habit of taking his shirt off  at some point between bedtime and when we get him in the morning. And when I come in and say “your shirt is off!”, he looks around the crib, all nonchalant, and then points at it, like “uh, it’s right there mom. Duh.”

There’s a hundred different ways he makes me laugh every day, which I love, but I’m not sure I was prepared for how funny I would find his toddler days. I wasn’t prepared for the giggles, multiple times a day, that would come not from him but from ME. And I know that the things he does that make me laugh are probably only funny to me (and N.C.), as is the way with parents everywhere, but I’m so thankful that I am laughing.

I want our home to be filled with laughter. I want to laugh with my kid more than I yell. I want to find him funny more than annoying. I want to enjoy his company more than tolerate it. I know—trust me, I KNOW—that it’s not all sunshine and rainbows. I know that he can push buttons. I know I’m not with him all day. I KNOW that there are, and will be times, when the frustration overtakes the giggles.

But I hope that I can remember in the midst of that stuff that I really enjoy my kid, a LOT. That he is fun, and funny, and a great tension reliever (when he’s not the one causing the tension of course). And I hope that we always find little ways and little places to laugh.

Tara May 4, 2011 at 6:26 am

I’ve been having that exact same feeling about my toddler. She really is starting to become the one person that can make me laugh, no matter how miserable I’m feeling. She’s just so proud of herself every time she does anything remotely normal…petting the dog, taking her socks off, putting her cup of milk up on the tray of the high chair. She’ll look at me with this goofy grin and wait for me to start clapping for her. Which I always do. And then we both laugh likes it’s the funniest thing ever, because to us, it totally is.

I never really expected to be *that* person, but there you go…

KT May 4, 2011 at 7:08 am

Those stories (and the picture) are adorable- I would be giggling too. 🙂

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks May 4, 2011 at 9:03 am

I’m pretty sure I’ll be echoing these sentiments when Gavin gets a little older. Because, right now? He lights up our days and nights in the most unexpected ways. Whether it’s a face he makes or a reaction he has or just a smile he sends our way … we find ourselves laughing at and with him … and hope that lasts for years and years and years.

clara May 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Love it. Laughing is the best way to make the stress go away.

I like to show my kids videos of themselves being funny and then laugh again while they laugh at themselves. Very snake-eating-its-tail but good times, nonetheless.

Cheryl May 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Love 🙂
I want the same things, to laugh and have fun more than scold and tolerate. B is a funny kid and sometimes that’s what gets us through the day.

LisaDay May 5, 2011 at 5:58 am

Me too. And it looks like we are successful.

LisaDay

Lex May 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm

That picture is hella cute.
As a fellow parent, I totally get how toddler-night-stripping can be outright hilarious.

“Bye bye bye” and the arm flinging sounds AMAZING. I wish I could be a fly on the wall for that!

Megan May 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm

This post makes me really excited for our play date this summer!

And you are so right about the laughter. If you are able to laugh at your kid even while they are pushing your buttons (not always possible, I know) you can get through almost anything.

Kate May 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Toddlers have an innate ability to make you almost piss-yourself laughing with their wit and antics and then turn around a make you want to pull your hair out and drop into a heap of frustration tears. I love this age. Every day is different and they are learning and grasping new concepts so fast it’s incredible. And, then there is the amazing personality (like saying bye-bye-bye instead of bye-bye!) that begins to shine through! It’s great!

Elizabeth May 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Baby sourced joy is so amazing! Hannah is at the point of belly laughing and it makes me laugh until my stomach hurts!