Missing My Swagger

by Ginger on April 29, 2011

in Becoming Myself

I’ve lost my swagger.

I mean, not that I had a ton of swagger to start with. Even back in the day, my swagger was pretty tame compared to some people’s. But I did have some. A spring in my step. A swing to my hips. You know. Swagger.

I lost mine a long time ago, over the course of years.It started after college, when I started to gain weight by no longer being super active while also starting a desk job and yet continuing to eat and drink like I was still in college.

It stayed elusive in New York, where I spent so much of the year bundled and covered up and worrying WAY more about staying warm and dry than how I looked. It would show itself every once in a while, but it was a guest appearance rather than a common occurrence.

When I moved to California, I lost the need to bundle up, but gained the weight that all the walking in New York had helped stave off. (Well, that and time at the gym in prep for my wedding).

Of course, then I got pregnant & had a baby. Swagger? Waddle maybe, but no swagger.

But then? Then I did the Biggest Blogging Loser, and I lost 20 pounds, and I had to buy a pair of pants two sizes smaller than anything in my closet, and they make my butt look great. And suddenly? I’m starting to feel hints of the swagger again. Not a full blown appearance, but I’m seeing glimpses. And I’ll be honest folks.

It feels GOOOOOOD.

AmyLynn April 29, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Yeah!!

This post gives me hope to lose 20 pounds too!

What are you doing?

that is all

Ginger May 4, 2011 at 11:47 pm

All I’ve done is count calories (and learn portion sizes). I kept meaning to exercise, but got sick like 4 times in a row. So I managed to do it all just by adjusting how much (and what) I ate.

Megan April 29, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Woo hoo! That’s so great. And, I’m so jealous. I need to lose twenty pounds. I think even ten might make me feel a little better about myself. With everything that’s been going on lately and with all the weight I’ve been gaining, I have zero swagger.

Ginger May 4, 2011 at 11:49 pm

I’m honestly a little shocked at how it makes me feel now. I haven’t been this weight since long before I got pregnant, and I kind of forgot what it felt like.

lemon gloria April 30, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Oh, Ginger, congratulations! That is great! Your full-on swagger is right around the corner.

I gained 30-some pounds my first year of college and it killed my self esteem. And took me most of college to lose, and after that my weight went up and down for years, and I always felt bad when I was at a heavy weight and good when I was thin. There’s so much tied up in it, isn’t there?

Ginger May 4, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I wish it wasn’t so tied up together–I feel like such a cliche. But yeah, there it is.