The Mystery of the Pants

by Ginger on April 20, 2011

in Becoming Myself, I'm a Disaster

The other day I spent my lunch hour shopping for clothes. (What? The “good” mall is close to my work, and I can’t seem to make it down there on weekends).

Anyway, I went because I’ve lost enough weight that I’m kind of at that NEED new clothes stage–everything is too big, and my work pants are about to fall off when I walk in them. It was time to at least get a few staples.

But the problem at this point is that between the weight loss, the different body shape after my c-section, and how long it’s been since I bought myself clothes that fit, I have NO idea how clothes are supposed to fit. How is a crotch supposed to fit? What about around the hips? The butt? I have my own personal rules about how things need to fit in the thighs and the waist (based more on comfort than anything else frankly), but the rest? I have no IDEA.

So I tried on about 15 different pairs of pants over the course of the hour. I finally bought two pairs that I *think* look ok on me. The husband approved (and he’s pretty much ok with saying, “uh, hon? Not your best look.”) and even complimented my butt, so I think they’re not bad. But my bigger thing?

How do you forget how clothes are supposed to look on you? How do you lose such sight of making yourself look nice that you forget what should be a piece of information you deal with every day? I mean, yes, I’ve lost weight, but this is basic info here.

How do you ignore your appearance to the point that pants are a mystery to you?

AmyLynn April 20, 2011 at 9:18 am

sounds like you need some serious retail therapy with a friend!

also

having young kids does weird things to your priorities

that is all

Tracy Kaply April 20, 2011 at 10:27 am

That question has fueled the success of What Not To Wear for years, dear.

Lisa April 20, 2011 at 10:29 am

I am kind of mad about pants. You know finding pants is a challenge. When you find the perfect pair of pants, you want them to stick around.

I love NY&Co’s 7th Avenue Pants. They fit me, they’re a nice drapey fabric that washes well. The only problem is they fall apart kind of quickly. Pockets rip, hems fall out, etc. So I need to buy new ones every year or two. And now? They’re all cotton. Hello, Wrinkle City. And Mama doesn’t iron. They have the “classic” ones available online. IN A SIZE ZERO. 1) Who can wear that? 2) WTF kind of size is zero anyway?

Ginger April 27, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I actually kind of love the pair I found at The Limited. Which shocked me because I haven’t shopped there in probably…10 years?

NY&Co used to be so much better. They used to be my go to store, but lately…meh.

Lex April 20, 2011 at 11:07 am

It’s quite possible that shopping for pants is the bane of my existence. Everything is too long around the feet, but so low rise that my underpants are constantly exposed, or they shrink in the wash and suddenly the game changes and I can’t get them up past my thighs… blegh.

Honestly, I don’t think I know how pants are supposed to fit anymore, either.

clara April 20, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I kind of know what you mean, in that my uniform is jeans and a t-shirt. If I ever go back to work and have to wear real clothes, I don’t know what I’ll do. I recently noticed that my favourite cozy sweater was looking kind of..pilly and horrible and it took me 5 weeks (of shopping in 45 minute increments, with a toddler, but still) to find a new sweater.

Maybe it would help to have a full length photo of yourself – then you could look at it objectively? Are there websites that do that for you..ask your measurements and then let you see what the clothes will look like?

Still, though. Awesome to be in a body you are sort of happy with, even if you do feel like you’re in a foreign country for a while?

Nina April 20, 2011 at 7:31 pm

It’s the whole baby thing. It took me almost 18 months to get back to my pre-baby weight. Boy was I in for a surprise when I tried to wear my pre-pregnancy jeans. Although the scale said everything was the same, nothing FIT the way it used too. *sigh* So sad.

Amber April 20, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I never really know if certain pants are flattering on me or not. I figure if people aren’t pointing at me and laughing, that they are good…

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks April 22, 2011 at 9:51 am

I did the same kind of shopping over the weekend, in that my body shape is now so different that I don’t even know it. Only difference is I’m still trying to lose the baby weight, but have concluded I need real clothes and need to pack up all maternity pants.

Elizabeth April 26, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I wasn’t even pregnant yet when I discovered I’d been buying the wrong size for years. It was incredible how going *down* a size suddenly made everything all better! For some incredibly lucky reason, my butt hasn’t changed because of pregnancy, so jeans aren’t an issue, but shirts sure are. Everything’s too short now–yikes!