Two Camps

by Ginger on April 13, 2011

in Random

Whew, it’s been weighty and business-like and introspective around these parts lately. And because I’m loving the discussions so much, I’m hoping we can really dive into my next subject with the same verve and vigor. See, there’s this issue that I think is dividing us, and we all need to come to a middle ground. What am I speaking of?

Potato Salad of course.

You think I’m kidding. There are strongly divided camps–there’s the mustard camp, and the mayo camp. (then there’s that weird camp that doesn’t like potato salad, but come on, they don’t get a vote in this argument). And within those camps there are camps: yellow mustard, dijon mustard, plain mayo, a little mixture. And really, while I firmly believe that MY kind of potato salad really is the best (yellow mustard with a little mayo, of course)–I have no problem with you mayo types. To each their own salad, right? How you have your potato salad really doesn’t affect my enjoyment of MY potato salad.

So folks, really, mustard, mayo, it doesn’t really matter. What matters is that we’re enjoying our potato salad the way it works best for us.

Right?

P.S. I swear, this is not an analogy. I had potato salad for lunch and it sparked quite the debate at work.
P.P.S. I *may* have been up too late answering all the comments from yesterdays post. So I *may* be a little on the delirious side. So this post *may* be silly. Maybe.

Katherine April 13, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Three camps – vinaigrette.

Ginger April 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Ah yes, the outliers 😉

sizzle April 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

What if I don’t really like potato salad?

*ducks*

Ginger April 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Boooooo!

Lisa April 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm

MUSTARD! I do put a bit of mayo in mine, but mostly mustard.

I do love me some vinagrette potato salad though. That’s probably my favorite, but out of the traditionals, definitely the mustard version.

Also — slaw. Vinegar slaw, or creamy slaw?

Ginger April 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Oh, I like both kinds of slaw, depending of course, on the recipe.

Man, now I feel like I need a picnic…

Erin April 13, 2011 at 6:55 pm

There is ONE kind of potato salad that I will eat. It’s made at our local grocery store. It’s a mayo potato salad. I hate every other potato salad in the world. The end.

Ginger April 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I don’t know why, but your comment made me laugh and laugh and laugh.

Amy (frugan) April 14, 2011 at 1:48 am

Wait, are mustard-based potato salads comparable to mayo versions in popularity? I did not know this. I wonder if it’s a regional thing. Where I grew up (in northern NJ) there was potato salad (mayo-based) and German potato salad (vinegar-based). Then there’s my personal favorite: Veganaise-based, because I like mayo but it kind of grosses me out.

Ginger April 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I have to think it’s largely regional, because where I grew up EVERYONE did mustard, not mayo (and I don’t think I ever even saw a german potato salad until I was in college).

kate April 14, 2011 at 8:15 am

I never knew that there were two camps… Who’d want potato salad with no mustard (aack!!!). That’d be icky. So, I guess I like a bit of mayo for moisture, but it needs the zing and bite of mustard. It’s gotta have that. I think it’d be fitting if you posted your recipe on here as an addendum to this post. 🙂

Ginger April 14, 2011 at 1:33 pm

To me, it has to have mustard and pickles and celery!

KT April 14, 2011 at 8:37 am

I’m in the third camp- vinagrette! Mayo is too heavy, mustard is nasty.

Cheryl April 15, 2011 at 7:51 am

Hmm, I may be in the third camp too, sort off … Where do you fit if you use miracle whip, not real mayo? Then you have the zing of vinegar and consistency of mayo. (FYI, I hate real mayo. Tastes like nothing.) And my Dad makes an awesome mustard potato salad. Maybe I belong to all the camps?

Hannah April 17, 2011 at 6:20 am

Okay, now that I’ve been completely sucked into this site…

It seems to me that the clear winner is mustard, just based on the fact that the majority seems to need some sort of zestiness factor, regardless if it’s mustard or vinegar.

I have to second the yuckola factor on a zingless potato salad.