Revisiting the past

by Ginger on April 7, 2011

in Blogging & Social Media

I’ve spent the majority of the last few evenings combing through my archives, in an attempt to put together a list of favorite posts to share with people who might be new here. (You’d be surprised how hard it is to narrow 508 posts down to a manageable level). I’m getting closer, but it’ll probably take me another day or so to really cull it down appropriately–what can I say, I like the “sound” of my own voice.

It’s been interesting to read through the last few years of my life–to revisit the things I thought, the points I made, the silly jokes I told, the goals I attempted. We often say one of the best things about blogging is having a record of ourselves, but how often do we actually go back and read that history?

Anyway, I found myself down the rabbit hole of not just my old posts, but also old commenters. I found people who used to visit me regularly but who, for one reason or another, have either stopped reading or at least stopped commenting. I found people who I’m only now reconnecting with. I found myself wondering about those bloggers whose links are no longer active, or whose blogs haven’t been updated in a year.

One of the strange things about this blogging thing is the people we connect with, people we share our lives with, and who can disappear just as quickly as they appear. I miss some of those old bloggers–I’m not hurt that they aren’t around anymore, but revisiting their comments made me remember them and the comrade shared in the comment section.

I can’t imagine how it feels for the people who have blogged for years and years and years!

Do you ever revisit your archives? Or wonder where a once familiar commenter went? Or find yourself missing a blogger who has disappeared?

Cherie Beyond April 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I do find this often. I especially miss those bloggers who just disappear without explanation. They just stop writing. WHY?

I have found, however, that most people who have the urge to write online will always have the urge to write online. Many come back to it, under a different name or with a different focus. I’ve found old favorites again just by Googling key phrases. Which sounds very stalker-like, I suppose.

Ginger April 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

You know, I can get that if the urge is there once it’ll be hard to squash forever. I think I’d be the same way, if I gave it up for some reason.
But let’s be honest, I’m not going anywhere.

Nina April 7, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I am *almost* embarrassed to admit this, but I first started blogging and reading blogs on MySpace (it was 06, everyone was doin’ it?) Anyways, I’ve kept ‘in touch’ with a handful of my favorite bloggers/commenters through FB. I deleted my profile, and all the blogs, a few years ago. It’s like I burned a dairy or something.

But here I am now, with the time to read and write, and finding NEW blogger pals 🙂

Ginger April 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm

If you check my archives, they actually go all the way back to 2006–those are all the ones I copied over from my Myspace blog (there are more, I just never published them here. I probably shouldn’t have published those, if I’m honest with myself). I started reading blogs for work in 05, and from there..well, it’s been all downhill since then! LOL.
If I ever stopped blogging, I’d keep a copy for myself somewhere. Just like the diaries I have from when I was 7.

Erin April 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Every now and then I comb through my archives. I’ve been blogging for ages, and while my early posts were lost in a move from Blogger to Typepad back in the day, the oldest post I still have seem like someone else’s life to me know. It’s fascinating to look back and see who I used to know online. I do wonder where a lot of people have ended up.

Ginger April 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Those early posts are such a lifetime away at this point! They feel familiar, but totally unfamiliar at the same time.

Ginger April 7, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Oh, and now I TOTALLY am going to go check out your archives btw. 🙂

jacqui April 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I haven’t been around long enough to wonder where my commenters went. I can imagine it would be strange though because I’m already getting attached to them! Great post.

Ginger April 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Yes! That’s it exactly, attachment-I’m totally attached to my commenters!

Amy {frugan} April 8, 2011 at 3:51 am

Oh, yes, I revisit my archives and it never fails to put me in an odd, wistful mood. I suddenly have the urge to go out for drinks and brunch, as I seemed to do that a lot back in the day.

For me it’s not just revisiting archives, it’s revisiting my old blog. I had a blog from 2003-2006 that had a real story arc (me moving abroad and assimilating) and I ended it when I felt like the story, or at least that chapter of it, was done. It was a tough decision but I felt like it was right. After a two-year hiatus I started my current blog and, although a few of my old commenters found me, not all of them have. Somehow I’m hesitant to go looking for them, almost like I broke up with them and don’t deserve it (blogger guilt!). But when I open those old posts and see those once-familiar names, I wonder where they are in life now. One went on to became a famous blogger so I can keep up with her from afar, but the others… where are you old friends? This has inspired me to find out. Thank you, Ginger.

I’m looking forward to your best of!

Ginger April 9, 2011 at 11:38 pm

“almost like I broke up with them and don’t deserve it (blogger guilt!)”–I feel that too sometimes (and I didn’t go anywhere!). I know there are some commenters who stopped reading me at some point after I stopped reading them for whatever reason (that’s a horrible sentence!). I feel like I can’t go looking for them again, like you said, like I broke up with them.

clara April 8, 2011 at 7:43 am

The idea of going back to find ‘best of’ posts is really daunting. Good for you for doing it – I always love reading other peoples’ but for me. No. Can’t do it.

I get different comments depending on what I post about. Before I hit motherhood I used to post about music, books, politics. Every now & again if I write about those things, an old commenter will come out of the woodwork – s/he’ll have been reading along but has nothing to say about my parental angst. Or there’s one guy who comments twice a year..and every once in a while I wonder if he’s still out there. If I post about the Pogues I know I can draw him out.

Ginger April 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Every once in a while a commenter I was sure had left me behind will pop up, usually when I post about something like music, movies, or pop culture. It always shocks me–although I do the same thing, keep reading even if I stopped commenting.

Bekah April 10, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I do! I worry about people sometimes when they stop posting, but I tell myself that it is because they are fabulously happy and busy with life!

And for the record…I didnt go anywhere! Im sorry I have MIA from commenting for so long…this pregnancy is kicking my butt! But I think I am definitely on the upswing now!

Ginger April 11, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I figured as much! Pregnant women and new moms get a pass on not commenting 😉 (I did find your first comment here, made me wonder how you were feeling!).

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks April 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I barely have time to write new posts let alone revisit a past life. One thing this whole baby thing has done is given me an opportunity to revisit which blogs I read and whether I really want to read them still. There were a handful of bloggers whose blogs I read, but didn’t love. And I noticed they only read my blog if/when I commented on their blogs. I decided it was a good time to break (up?) with those bloggers. I don’t necessarily wonder what they’re doing now, but I do wonder if they noticed I’m no longer reading their blogs and whether they care and what they think of me now.

Ginger April 11, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Nothing like a kid to reevaluate how you spend your time. Though I would contend that life is too short to read blogs you don’t love (uh, as someone with too many blogs in her reader, you wouldn’t necessarily think I think that.)

For me personally, while I might wish an old reader was still around, I pretty much just figure our paths have diverged for whatever reason. Even if I keep reading them…