The joys of pet ownership

by Ginger on April 1, 2011

in Day in the Life

Don’t let her adorableness fool you, she’s just like every other animal on the planet: a giant money pit.

Last night, the dog was up every hour or so, needing to be taken out. Let’s just say things weren’t as solid as they should have been. So I’m tired, and grouchy (and wondering how we made it through the newborn phase. How did we do this all the time?).

This morning, we took her to the vet to see what was up. We left…with no real diagnosis, 5 cans of truly disgusting high-fiber food, some pills, a vial for a “sample”, and an $80 bill.

It’s amazing to me sometimes how easy animals slip into your heart. We’ve only had Sasha for a few weeks and already she’s part of the family. So we’ll do what we have to to take care of her–including getting up every hour with her and trying to get a sample (gag) to find out what’s up.

But damnit, really? $80 bucks and a night full of diarrhea? It’s a good thing she’s cute.

AmyLynn April 1, 2011 at 11:57 am

wow maybe it is just the flu? Can dogs get the flu?

Maybe she ate something unusual?

fingers crossed she gets better without more bills

that is all

[another] Ginger April 1, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Oh no, this is sounding all too familiar. When we first adopted our beagle, he had diarrhea for SEVEN MONTHS. We tried every food on the planet, including all the expensive ones our vet recommended, finally giving up and giving him a vegetarian food with no corn in it. It worked and we’re still using it. And now we’re happy.

So as a last resort, Petco sells one variety of vegetarian food. Just in case that fact may come in handly. 🙂

KT April 1, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Awww poor Sasha! When Fuzzy Britches has gotten diarrhea, we fed her plain white rice with boiled chicken. Easy on the stomach but somewhat annoying to have to cook for a dog (thankfully we only had to do it for a day or two). Hope she gets better soon!

clara April 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. So sorry. When a kid usually wakes you up and then an animal does it, it’s the meanest thing. Even if you love the animal.

Wishing you a weekend free of bodily fluids.

Stephanie Harsh April 1, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Okay, I really hate those people that feel the need to out-do you on your stories. You know the ones. You tell them you got a new bike and they come back with “well, I got a new car!” I hate that.

Anyway, I have cats. Once, one of ’em got sick. We gave it some time, but when things got worse, I was too freaked out to wait any longer. They’re practically my children! (I don’t have kids.) We took her into the vet. She was there for a weekend and when they finally released her, they had no idea what had been wrong other than a few guesses and handed us a $2,000.00 bill! That was several years ago and the thought of it still makes my stomach hurt.

The moral of this story is: do not ask me for a vet recommendation.

Erin April 2, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Yuck. Hope it clears up soon and that she feels better!

I also hope that I start liking my dogs again sometime soon.

Elizabeth April 26, 2011 at 8:11 pm

They’re so, so worth it though! I hope she’s all mended up by now.