Sampson knew about the power of hair

by Ginger on March 23, 2011

in Mom Thoughts, Oh Baby!

What is it about cutting their hair that stings the heart so much?

I know it was time–the curls on top were long and unruly, and he loves to mash his food in his hair to create the perfect crispy birds nest of tangles. It was too hard to comb, and could never be tamed.

But oh how I loved his long locks. The pieces that made giant barrel curls and the pieces that made soft wispy curls and the pieces that curled like they were a piece of rotini. The wild man look, when it would stand out at all angles. The surfer man look, when it would flop in his eyes. And oh, how I was mad at N.C. for daring to suggest a buzz cut! I demanded scissors, not clippers, at the bare minimum.

And now he looks like a little boy more than a baby. He looks like a KID. I may not have bemoaned the little clothes as he grew through the sizes (other than to say slow down! My wallet can’t keep up with your growth spurts!), but this? This makes me teary. It makes me wish time backwards.

Too soon, baby, too soon.

LBDDiaries March 23, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Oh this post! It brought back the memory of my own son’s first hair cut many many moons ago. He had beautiful soft blonde hair (which morphed into thick wirey brown/black hair [???]) – but I still have the curl I cut from the blonde hair (along with his first tooth)! I don’t know why it is this first cut hurts our hearts – I guess it is the change from baby to little body. Great post (visiting from SITS).

Ginger March 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Oh, you can bet I took a curl and put it in his baby book! It’s such a silly thing to be so upset about, but isn’t that kind of how motherhood works?

Perpetual Breadcrumbs March 24, 2011 at 8:07 am

That little face! It’s true, he looks like he’s ready for preschool. 🙂

We still haven’t cut E’s hair, and now it’s below his shoulder blades. The longer you wait, the tougher it is…

Tasha C March 28, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Hi Ginger – found your blog through Naked Girl In A Dress today… congrats on the recent weight loss! And, my little girl is almost 18 months now and suddenly she is not such a baby anymore. How fast 18 months has flown. I am just happy I can hang onto her baby curls a while longer (my husband thinks we should cut her bangs, but I just can’t). : )

Ginger March 28, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I always feel like he just got here…where did this 18 month old KID come from???

Elizabeth March 31, 2011 at 1:35 am

Oh! He looks so much older than when I first met him! Those rosy cheeks slay me.