I hate shopping

by Ginger on March 16, 2011

in Becoming Myself

I’m not a shopper.

I don’t enjoy the hunt. I don’t enjoy spending the money. I REALLY don’t enjoy the fitting room. I rarely buy myself clothes or shoes or makeup. Barring trips to Target for random nonsense like lotion or jellybeans (mmm, jellybeans!), shopping for *me* is not something I do often.

Of course, if you saw my email, you’d think differently. Somewhere along the way, I opted into a million different shopping groups: Groupon, BuyWithMe, Gilt, SeenOn…to name a few. I get catalogs at home too, and the occasional email from Amazon, Zappos, or another specific store that I shopped at once upon a time.

Why do I sign up for this stuff? I never buy anything. Or if I do, it’s for practical stuff–so far the Groupons I’ve bought have been for Gymboree classes for Jackson, and one for a vhs to DVD transfer service (that was awesome, totally worth the money and then some). But I never buy the pedicures or the $10 for $20 worth of clothes, or any of that stuff.

And I hate shopping for clothes or shoes online. Why do I pretend that I don’t? Clothes never fit right, and you KNOW I’m not going to want to deal with returns. And I’m not super comfortable with my post-pregnancy shoe size (it went up. 18 months later and I’m still not sure how much), so ordering shoes online doesn’t seem like a good idea.

I like the THEORY of shopping–picking things that speak to you, that help you express yourself–but in practice it just doesn’t suit me. Maybe that’s because I don’t HAVE a style. Maybe that’s because I feel like I shouldn’t spend money on myself. Maybe it’s just because I’m bad at it. Maybe it’s a longtime discomfort with my body.  Maybe it’s because I can never figure out how to put outfits (or home furnishings, or anything really) together. I don’t know.

I’ve said for a long time that I think I need a personal shopper, someone to help me figure out what looks good together, someone who can show me a different way of shopping besides just…go to Target and see if anything fits sorta ok-ish. I think somewhere over the course of my life–long before the kid came along, long before I got married–I lost the ability to see myself in the stuff I see in stores. I need someone to help me find that again.

So, unless any of you lovely readers want to take me under your shopping wing, I think my reward when I hit my 20 pound loss (3.5 pounds away!) is going to be hiring a personal shopper/stylist. I mean, I need to look into the cost, obviously (and let’s be realistic, I’m not going to be spending hundreds of dollars on this), but it seems like a great reward for me, don’t you think?

I kind of can’t think of anything better honestly. Someone to show me the shopping way? I’m liking this idea more and more and more.

Now…where can I find a personal shopper?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

shasta March 16, 2011 at 10:12 am

Ok this might sound bizarre, but I’m pretty sure that I learned how to dress myself better by watching What Not to Wear. In its however many years run, I think I’ve watched most every episode, and there really are some good lessons to take away from it. I especially focus on the episodes where the makeover recipient is the same body size as me. If they’re recommending ruffled tops and straight leg jeans for her, then that would probably work to me, too. Also, they continually reference universal style rules (like including color, shine, and texture into an outfit) that really seem to make a difference.

Wow, that totally sounds like a PSA for TLC, but really, it’s more an homage to Stacy and Clinton because they inspired me to get out of my post-college workout pants and t-shirt rut.

Ginger March 16, 2011 at 10:18 am

You know, it’s funny, I’ve watched years of that show..years! And in theory, I get the “rules” that work for me and the rules that work for everyone.
But I get in a store, and it’s like…it’s like the stuff changes into nothingness when it’s on the hanger. So I just grab crap at random, and then get frustrated in the dressing room when none of it looks right. I’m telling you, I’m a remedial shopping student.
What I DO need to take to heart from that show is–get stuff tailored. I swear, if I could learn this lesson, I’d probably like my closet a HELL of a lot more.

shasta March 16, 2011 at 10:24 am

If I’m shopping alone, I end up buying stuff that I think looked OK when I tried it on, and then run it by my husband. He’s a pretty effective 360-mirror, and over the years he’s vetoed some pieces that I thought were cool but apparently weren’t. Also, I find that sparkly earrings or a big necklace can make ANYTHING look put together, so I bank on those to cover my un-stylish ass.

Alexis March 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I also hate shopping for “real” clothes. I find I am always falling back on the jeans and solid T/Long sleeve T with some cute shoes because that is the extent of the choices I can face on any given day. I think it might be different though if I were off to a job in the outside world like you are.

Personally I think you should look into the shopping assistance thing. Even if you just got someone to show you five outfits that work for you then you can duplicate in assorted colors/fabrics/whatever, that would be a life-saver for those of us who are fitting room averse.

Good luck and you must post lots of pics when you get a sweet wardrobe going on.

hillary March 16, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I’m not a fan of shopping either. I know what size I am at the Gap so I just order most of my clothes online. Finding clothes while pregnant has been absolutely brutal because I hate how I look in everything and it’s getting to the point where I need to just suck it up and buy some damn clothes already because I’m bordering on indecent.

Katherine March 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I will admit it, I LOVE SHOPPING! Probably too much really. Given my current situation I’m stuck with dealing the the internet more than I prefer and like you, I don’t buy shoes. Occassionally I’ll try chothes if they are a brand I know will fit me. If I didn’t live in BFE I’d be happy to go shopping with you and offer up opinions and suggestions as I have done with a few others. However, if you want a personal shopper you might be able to find one at your local department store. I know some Macy’s have them and I’d suspect if is a store at UTC in La Jolla they probably have personal shoppers. You can search for stores with them on their website.

Or hop a flight to Phoenix and we’ll shop our way through Scottsdale. = )

Pamela D. Hart March 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I’d love to be a personal shopper. Where do I sign up for this gig? I love fashion plus I could buy stuff but not dent my own wallet! THAT’S a bargain, and I so love bargains!

Megan March 17, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Oh, man. I can SO relate to this! I love owning new clothes, but I don’t know how to pick them out. I hate trying stuff on. I get tired and grumpy ten minutes in. I just loathe the whole process.

And, I have these girlfriends that think of it as a hobby. Even if I had the money for that, I would not share that sentiment.

And don’t even get me started on online shopping!

I think a stylist sounds like a great plan!