Thoughts on the 2011 Oscars broadcast

by Ginger on February 28, 2011

in Entertain Me

1. Kirk Douglas’s presentation of the Supporting Actress was…um…painful for the most part, yes? I mean, it’s awesome that he’s able to be at the show and all, but…yeah, that was painful.
  2. Christian Bale’s facial hair looked like it was poorly Photoshopped from another person–or dyed from a box.
  3. Did Kirk Douglas feel up Melissa Leo on the way off stage?
  4. Helen Mirren paired with Russell Brand?  Talk about high brow/low brow.
  5. How high WAS James Franco?
  6. Was there a shortage of razors in the LA area? The level of one day scruff on the men was a little ridiculous.
  7. No really, how high WAS Franco?
  8. He Doesn’t Own a Shirt was perhaps the funniest bit of the night.
  9. Oprah owns television. Do we really need her butting in on movies too?
  10. Come on, admit it. Everyone was hoping that Exit Through the Gift Shop would win Best Documentary to see what, if anything, would happen–because seriously you’d expect Banksy to come up with something if it won right?
  11. Randy Newman won me over with his acceptance speech. Funny, self-deprecating and just a hint of bitchy. Probably my favorite speech of the nigh. Which, given how much I dislike Newman, is amazing.
  12. Did Anne Hathaway really mention an at-home drinking game? Awesome.
  13. Was the entire thing just a little duller and boring than normal? Or am I just getting old and crotchety?

P.S. As a reminder, I’m looking for your questions on book publishing. If there’s anything you’ve ever wanted to know about my illustrious industry, hit up that post and pop your question in the comments.

As always, you can find more lists every Monday over at ABDPBT!

listbutton

Perpetua February 28, 2011 at 6:06 am

Have you seen Freaks and Geeks? Franco was making the exact same face as he mad on the show when he was supposed to be high.

And am I crazy, or Anne Hathaway make fun of the Kirk Douglas presentation? It was difficult to watch, yes, but…let’s just forget it happened, not joke about it.

Katherine February 28, 2011 at 9:14 am

Wait, they aren’t boring every year?

Lisa February 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

What was up with taking his cane as they walked off stage? I’m pretty sure he needs that!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks February 28, 2011 at 10:46 am

The real reason I watch award shows? To see the beautiful dresses. The second reason? To see who wins. I hate all the pomp that eats up the remaining 95% of the show. So, I usually do something else while watching (playing with the kid, reading, blogging, etc.).

There’s a part of me that wishes acceptance speeches were eliminated, because 90% of them are dull to anyone not in the industry. But, to lose the 10% of speeches that are surprising and hilarious and heart-felt and plain memorable? I’m not sure it’s worth the price.

Kt February 28, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Meh. I enjoyed the opening…everything else was boring. Kirk definitely felt up the woman who helped him off the stage- but then again she did take his cane! Anne was trying too hard, but I think that she felt that Franco had no energy (ie stoned) so she had to fill his void.

Did you see Jimmy Kimmel afterwards? His skits are hilarious!!

Tara February 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm

The Little Ball of Light almost had me in tears, and He Doesn’t Own a Shirt pushed me over the edge. Almost made the other painfully long 3 1/2 hours worth it. Almost.

Also, I have to admit, facial hair or no, I still love me some Christian Bale. And when I saw Newsies trending on Twitter after he won? Yeah, I freaked out a little. LOVE THAT MOVIE!

And finally, oh James Franco…

Laundry is NOT a Hobby…stop by and say hi!